Patriots offer McCarron

10 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

It reinforces that there is not a lot of confidence on offense staff.

No, it doesn't.  It's pretty much a foregone conclusion around the league that the Bills are angling for a first round QB in the draft, so any veteran QB who signs here has to accept that he's here for a placeholder for that young QB.  Backup QBs with aspirations to be starters don't want anything to do with the Bills; they're going to be interested in signing with teams where they have better opportunities to become starters.  Think of Ryan Fitzpatrick signing first with the Bills and then with the Jests.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Yup, said that in another thread.  Offer him the same as the Cheaters but tell him he'll have a chance to start.  He has no chance to start in Cheaterland and will just be a backup for the years Tommy Boy has left.  And then if he's still there when Tommy Boy retires, he'll have to be the guy to follow that legend. 

....and probably on the wrong side of 30

23 minutes ago, SoTier said:

No, it doesn't.  It's pretty much a foregone conclusion around the league that the Bills are angling for a first round QB in the draft, so any veteran QB who signs here has to accept that he's here for a placeholder for that young QB.  Backup QBs with aspirations to be starters don't want anything to do with the Bills; they're going to be interested in signing with teams where they have better opportunities to become starters.  Think of Ryan Fitzpatrick signing first with the Bills and then with the Jests.

I'm not sure that backing up Tom " I'm playing until I'm 50" Brady , then possibly beating out a Pats draft pick at some point to follow a legend is the better opportunity. At least,not  better than beating out Nate Peterman and a ( high pick) rookie to start the season. 

If we could get AJ for a reasonable price I think it would be a smart move. Even if we do get him I’m assuming that the bills will also trade up and get one of the top tier rookie quarterbacks. This gives the  team at least two possibilities for getting a franchise quarterback. 

AJ may turn out to be what he has been so far, just a back up. Or he may be a franchise guy. It would be great to have him along with Rosen/Darnold/Allen to fight it out.

I know most of you don’t agree with this but I would keep  Peterman in the picture also. I’m not ready to give up on him. 

I would also be OK if the bills decided not to move up and let Jackson fall to them at 12. I think his upside may be as good as anyone else’s in the draft. For example, he already has one NFL  skill that is, at this time, more advanced than Allen or Darnold -  he can read defenses and go through progressions. He keeps his eyes down field even one under pressure and does not panic as opposed to our recently departed quarterback. Only Rosen’s skill set in this area at this time maybe equal or better in my opinion.

I just don't see the infatuation with AJM ... but if the brain trust at OBD see something, I'm all in ... I trust the process.

IMHO, the Pats* offer is kind of a blocking move to try to prevent the possibility that he goes to the Bills. They seem to go out of their way to weaken their opposition in the division, my case in point .... over paying for Gilmore ... acquiring Hogan ... acquiring Gillislee.  I don't really pay close enough attention to know if the same situations occur between them and the Dolphins or Jets but I'd guess they do.

Let's face it we will need another "arm" in the QB room. If they have faith that they will get the "next great QB" that extra arm doesn't need to be Super Bowl quality ... doesn't need to cost a bundle ... but DOES need to have a bit of experience. I just feel the Pats* are trying to block the next best obvious guy.

6 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

I think that A.J.'s agent is spreading these rumors in an attempt to create a market.

Then he's a stupid agent if he thinks that spreading rumors about him signing with the Pats*** creates a market because the very nature of signing with a team CLOSES the market. 

8 hours ago, lookylookyherecomescookie said:

I agee with you, but the tradup to 12 makes no sense if they are going with Foles

Sure it does,you moved on From Glenn and moved up 9 spots.

If you land Foles you don't need to trade up for one of those 3 QB's.

They could trade down from 12 and get 3 picks or so to recoup what they spend on Foles.

The rumour is Philly wants a 1st and Beane said no way and I agree a 2nd is enough.

3 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Then he's a stupid agent if he thinks that spreading rumors about him signing with the Pats*** creates a market because the very nature of signing with a team CLOSES the market. 

The reports are that he's been offered a contract by the Cheaters, not that he signed with them.  That potentially gets other teams motivated.

does anyone think that IF the Patsies** are interested maybe we should re consider?  They have been a fountain of QB talent.  first with Bledsoe, then with Brady, and then Jimmy G who at least the 49ers think is really good.  Maybe they know something about QBs (and cheating) that we don't?

besides, we need depth at the position.  Now we literally have none.