Patriots offer McCarron

Just now, Chuck Wagon said:

That is classic Bills, at least classic Ralph Wilson era Bills, setting a price they won't exceed and watching all the talent walk away.

What do you define as "talent"?  McCarron is the one of the last QBs to sign somewhere.  If that doesn't tell you about what people think about him...

29 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Classic Bills.  Everything falls right to land one of the top FA options at a potential discount and the guy is going to be a backup in New England instead. I can’t wait for the barnburner QB battle between Matt Moore / Mason Rudolph / Nathan Peterman 

McCarron isn't one of the " top FA options" at QB. Those players all agreed to deals with other teams. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Chuck Wagon said:

That is classic Bills, at least classic Ralph Wilson era Bills, setting a price they won't exceed and watching all the talent walk away.

All what talent?  So the Bills are watching McCarron become the pats' Curtis Painter.  Big deal.

Buffalo still isn't a good option at all for any of these QBs.  They are going to start (for now) with an extremely limiting cast of WRs.  They are going to have a shiny new kid waiting and the minute the FA Vet QB slips up or the team drops a game or two people are going to be demanding the new kid... while the team intends to hand the steering wheel over before long.

34 minutes ago, SoTier said:

What the hell is the fascination with AJ McCarron?????  He's started 3 NFL games and played in 11 games, total, in 4 NFL seasons.  He's attempted all of 133 passes.  At best, he's a replacement for Peterman as as backup QB but a "bridge QB" he's a joke ...

What have any of the kids coming out of college have done? 

McCarron has seen action in the NFL, yea we all know 3 games, but he has practice and preseason experience and has already had NFL coaching. If you can get him on a cap friendly deal that saves you money from what you were paying Taylor on a 2 year deal, then why not?

8 minutes ago, lookylookyherecomescookie said:

absolutely. Mcbeane is totally exposed right now, having traded TT, and left with dregs in FA.  He only has Nate in what he calls a qb-driven league. No way would he expose himself without a trade-up deal in place for a day one starter. That gives us Rosen probably, Mayfield or Darnold possibly .  

It likely means Josh Allen isn't in the mix as well. Most people think he is a project and needs time to sit, same goes for Sam Darnold. Most likely down between Rosen and Mayfield IMO.

1 minute ago, Chuck Wagon said:

What "talent" are the Bills "watching ... walk away"?   Get a grip, dude!  If AJ McCarron was such a great talent, he'd have been drafted higher than the fifth round.

The Bills are looking for a modest veteran FA QB to serve, at best, as a placeholder for a season or part of one before they turn the reins over to the young QB they traded up for in 2018.  "Veteran" means a player with more than 3 games of NFL experience.  Somebody like Hoyer is adequate, and better than some others whose names have been bandied about.

1 minute ago, May Day 10 said:

Buffalo still isn't a good option at all for any of these QBs.  They are going to start (for now) with an extremely limiting cast of WRs.  They are going to have a shiny new kid waiting and the minute the FA Vet QB slips up or the team drops a game or two people are going to be demanding the new kid... while the team intends to hand the steering wheel over before long.

It sure seems like the team is being shunned by FA QBs. I have to say I didn't see this coming. It reinforces McD's comment about not being as far along as fans think. I was really thinking an upgraded passing game to start 2018 was possible. 

57 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I posted this in another thread but I think either they already know they are getting the guy they want, based on conversations with their strong connections at the top of the draft, or they are trading for Nick Foles. 

I hope, because, after McCarron and Foles, all options are 2nd teamers and a crap-shoot on getting the rookie you want. .... I am holding out for the best case scenario, a trade with the Colts for Luck. That would be nirvana. 

Edited by CSBill

10 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

How much talent? Nobody knows what he can do. More important for me would be his unwillingness to take a chance on himself. If being a backup is his choice then that’s what he is in his own mind.

7 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

It likely means Josh Allen isn't in the mix as well. Most people think he is a project and needs time to sit, same goes for Sam Darnold. Most likely down between Rosen and Mayfield IMO.

I agree. I think Rosen.  Offense would have to more customized for Mayfield, then it's a problem if Nate has to come in because of injury to starter

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I think if everything goes wrong in the draft that they will trade pick 22 for Foles. It's looking like AJ McCarron is going to the Patriots and just like in Alabama the Patriots will put talent around him and he will put up offensive numbers. I can see Brady retiring and the Patriots will still have the best QB in the East.

Of course you do.

6 minutes ago, Yav said:

What have any of the kids coming out of college have done? 

McCarron has seen action in the NFL, yea we all know 3 games, but he has practice and preseason experience and has already had NFL coaching. If you can get him on a cap friendly deal that saves you money from what you were paying Taylor on a 2 year deal, then why not?

EJ Manuel. Blaine Gabbert, and Christian Ponder all have NFL practice and preseason experience plus they have significant NFL regular season experience, too.  Whoopty-doo.   

54 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

I get it.

Especially with the lack of experience that our QB coach has in that position, a vet that knows the system would be a good signing. I would just hope he doesn't see the field. AJ would be a nice flier if we weren't drafting a QB high. But as far as being a mentor I just don't see it.

The lack of experience tells you something about the head coach; he has almost a blank check for our staff but for some positions especially on offense he seems to have trouble getting a good team together on opposite side of his strength. Compare that to LA Rams who brought in strongest possible DC.

50 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Classic Bills.  Everything falls right to land one of the top FA options at a potential discount and the guy is going to be a backup in New England instead. I can’t wait for the barnburner QB battle between Matt Moore / Mason Rudolph / Nathan Peterman 

Interesting based on your avatar; I am assuming you are one of the indians circling the wagon firing arrows?

2 minutes ago, SoTier said:

EJ Manuel. Blaine Gabbert, and Christian Ponder all have NFL practice and preseason experience plus they have significant NFL regular season experience, too.  Whoopty-doo.   

And each of them was a kid coming out of college that had multiple members on message boards all over the internet hoping their team would draft them. 

12 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Why would AJ fight to get out of his contract in Cincy only to go to NE where he has no chance of starting.  By the time Brady retires, his contract would be up

He fought to get out of the predetermined pay scale as well.

13 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

It sure seems like the team is being shunned by FA QBs. I have to say I didn't see this coming. It reinforces McD's comment about not being as far along as fans think. I was really thinking an upgraded passing game to start 2018 was possible. 

It reinforces that there is not a lot of confidence on offense staff.