Patriots offer McCarron

3 minutes ago, Tyrod's friend said:

I get it. 

But there are people here talking about the "potential" of McCarron. WTF cares what he can be? In Buffalo the other QBs are around to watch. I want a tutor, somebody who in TC will show the guy how it's done and ultimately step aside.

I get it.

Especially with the lack of experience that our QB coach has in that position, a vet that knows the system would be a good signing. I would just hope he doesn't see the field. AJ would be a nice flier if we weren't drafting a QB high. But as far as being a mentor I just don't see it.

12 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Because Brady likely is only playing one more season. I don't see him as the type of QB that will except a decline in his play. I think trading Jimmy G was a massive mistake that they will rectify with the signing of AJM. 

Signing AJM isn't rectifying anything. 

19 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

At this point, the Bills are already down to scraps.

Hopefully they don't get into a bidding war for AJ McCarron. 

I doubt that's even possible.

As I said yesterday: if the Bills were content to settle for any veteran that could play the placeholder role, then they played this FA period perfectly.  McCarron has no suitors left that can offer him a chance to start--except Buffalo.  If he wants a shot to play, we're it.

2 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I think if everything goes wrong in the draft that they will trade pick 22 for Foles. It's looking like AJ McCarron is going to the Patriots and just like in Alabama the Patriots will put talent around him and he will put up offensive numbers. I can see Brady retiring and the Patriots will still have the best QB in the East.

LOL!

What the hell is the fascination with AJ McCarron?????  He's started 3 NFL games and played in 11 games, total, in 4 NFL seasons.  He's attempted all of 133 passes.  At best, he's a replacement for Peterman as as backup QB but a "bridge QB" he's a joke ...

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Tyrod's friend said:

I get it. 

But there are people here talking about the "potential" of McCarron. WTF cares what he can be? In Buffalo the other QBs are around to watch. I want a tutor, somebody who in TC will show the guy how it's done and ultimately step aside.

Is there a guy left you’d actually want a rookie to learn from? Is there a guarantee that our  draft pick actually succeeding in this league?

I don’t care who becomes the franchise guy as long as someone steps up. McCarron could be that guy

Classic Bills.  Everything falls right to land one of the top FA options at a potential discount and the guy is going to be a backup in New England instead. I can’t wait for the barnburner QB battle between Matt Moore / Mason Rudolph / Nathan Peterman 

1 minute ago, BananaB said:

Is there a guy left you’d actually want a rookie to learn from? Is there a guarantee that our  draft pick actually succeeding in this league?

I don’t care who becomes the franchise guy as long as someone steps up. McCarron could be that guy

Sure; he could take up some things from Matt Moore, AJM, and if he's around, BH. And no, I don't think for a second that AJM could be that guy. If any of these guys are on the field, for any reason, I want them to be able to win a game and of those three names, two have proven to be effective off the bench. I'll let you guess who isn't.

If you start from a position of "who will be the franchise guy" and are looking at those names, you've got the wrong question.

If his choice was dollars over sense and he took a pats offer over an opportunity to start would you want any part of that player? I certainly wouldn’t. He was low in my pecking order before yesterday but he’s now risen to near the top. That says little about his known abilities and much about the limitations of the known commodities still available.

20 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I doubt that's even possible.

As I said yesterday: if the Bills were content to settle for any veteran that could play the placeholder role, then they played this FA period perfectly.  McCarron has no suitors left that can offer him a chance to start--except Buffalo.  If he wants a shot to play, we're it.

I'm not so sure on that. Sitting for a year or two behind Brady and perhaps taking over the team once he calls it quits and the opportunity to experience a SB is a huge plus. 

3 minutes ago, Yav said:

I'm not so sure on that. Sitting for a year or two behind Brady and perhaps taking over the team once he calls it quits and the opportunity to experience a SB is a huge plus. 

True; IMO that would fall under the "wanting a chance to play" umbrella.

Also, I know that NE has a sweet deal with Brady, but I'm not sure that they can offer anything close to starting money.

12 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

All signs point to a trade up, wouldn't surprise me if a deal was already in place. No way we don't go after a QB if we aren't sure we can draft one of the top 2-3. This also means that they think their guy can start right away. Just speculating of course.

absolutely. Mcbeane is totally exposed right now, having traded TT, and left with dregs in FA.  He only has Nate in what he calls a qb-driven league. No way would he expose himself without a trade-up deal in place for a day one starter. That gives us Rosen probably, Mayfield or Darnold possibly .  

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Tyrod's friend said:

Sure; he could take up some things from Matt Moore, AJM, and if he's around, BH. And no, I don't think for a second that AJM could be that guy. If any of these guys are on the field, for any reason, I want them to be able to win a game and of those three names, two have proven to be effective off the bench. I'll let you guess who isn't.

If you start from a position of "who will be the franchise guy" and are looking at those names, you've got the wrong question.

Not a great list to be learning from. They’ve all had ups and downs of the bench. Did you see Matt Moore play this year? You’d rather have him start the season? Lol. Hoyer got benched Beardhead this year, then cut. 

I never asked you if McCarron could be the guy, I asked if there is any guarantee our draft pick will be the guy. There is very little film on McCarron, but he showed some good qualities. And guess what, he spent 4 years behind an actual starter in this league. 

27 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Classic Bills.  Everything falls right to land one of the top FA options at a potential discount and the guy is going to be a backup in New England instead. I can’t wait for the barnburner QB battle between Matt Moore / Mason Rudolph / Nathan Peterman 

Not classic Bills.  They probably have an amount they're willing to offer.  The Cheaters offered him a deal.  If they're similar and he takes their offer, that's on him.  They're not going to get into a bidding war over him.

10 minutes ago, Doc said:

Not classic Bills.  They probably have an amount they're willing to offer.  The Cheaters offered him a deal.  If they're similar and he takes their offer, that's on him.  They're not going to get into a bidding war over him.

That is classic Bills, at least classic Ralph Wilson era Bills, setting a price they won't exceed and watching all the talent walk away.