Name me a bridge QB that actually helped a rookie

Just now, JAMIEBUF12 said:

Id say last year alex smith mentoring patrick mahomes..all year all you heard was alex was totally professional helping pat learn knowning pat was the future.

Smith wasn't a bridge, but an established starter... Romo wasn't a really a "bridge" either, just overrated as a starter, and easy to supplant.... You could say Tom Savage was a backup/bridge that helped Watson make the leap... And by sucking so bad Mike Glennon helped the rise of Mtch Trubisky...

1 hour ago, #34fan said:

Smith wasn't a bridge, but an established starter... Romo wasn't a really a "bridge" either, just overrated as a starter, and easy to supplant.... You could say Tom Savage was a backup/bridge that helped Watson make the leap... And by sucking so bad Mike Glennon helped the rise of Mtch Trubisky...

Tyrod and Petersberg?

19 hours ago, MOVALLEYRANDY said:

Disagree 100 % Being in meeting rooms are huge if you have coaches who communicate the important stuff and the QB's talk  over things. 17 years as a coach at the JC and High School level and teaching plays a very important part in growth. Technique issues are better served in practice not in the line of fire. IMO

Two minutes in the Penalty box !

Yea they earn for the he time they are drafted. They have coaches since they were in HS teaching them to be a pro. 

16 hours ago, Boca BIlls said:

Yea they earn for the he time they are drafted. They have coaches since they were in HS teaching them to be a pro. 

Coaches in high school are not teaching them to be a pro. They are teaching them to win games in their system. The asterisk being the private and Catholic schools. Other than that you have high school science teachers teaching them the plays for the most part.

Edited by MOVALLEYRANDY
speling error

40 minutes ago, MOVALLEYRANDY said:

Coaches in high school are not teaching them to be a pro. They are teaching them to win games in their system. The asterisk being the private and Catholic schools. Other than that you have high school science teachers teaching them the plays for the most part.

No they hire private coaches buddy. It is very disturbing that you think I was talking about science teachers.

Edited by Boca BIlls

15 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

No they hire private coaches buddy. It is very disturbing that you think I was talking about science teachers.

I don't think we've met so I'm not you're buddy yet, but as somebody who has been in the college and high school ranks since I was 24, I'm 58, until a car accident 11 years ago, you really make a good point but take Josh Allen who grew up in the sticks . You think he had a private coach. ? (maybe he did, just guessing )Not all of these guys developed enough early and lived in an affluent enough environment to have pro coaches, which are the most overrated job in the industry. Man, many times they teach them things that is just the opposite of what the coaches want. Sorry to disturb you !!

Edited by MOVALLEYRANDY

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 10:06 PM, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Name me a bridge QB that actually helped a rookie

I find the narrative overused. Bridge QBs don't see themselves as bridges, they want the start and the contract, and have no interest in getting benched.

Name me a situation where a bridge QB successfully passed the torch to a young QB.

Favre and Rodgers certainly don't count. Use that relationship as your baseline.

You OP by asking us to name a QB that "actually helped a rookie" then changed the question to "successfully passed the torch to a young QB" (I know semantics kind of)

But what we lose sight of sometimes is the bridge is just a placeholder for a guy not ready yet. Just by being here and being the bridge he IS helping the rookie so rookie does not go in before he can stand the bright lights. Even if bridge or current QB hates him like Favre Brady and others have said or acted like they do hate the new guy, they help just be being here.

But since you asked:

Montana did best handing off to Young.

A. Smith did very well handing off to Mahomes.(I know it is a little early but I am going with it, may be the best)

McCown gets it: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000820945/article/jets-josh-mccown-vows-to-be-a-dang-good-bridge-qb 

Brees did well handing off to Rivers.

Trent Green handed off to Kurt Warner(I admit a good stretch on that one)

Kurt Warner handed off to Marc Bulger.

Kurt Warner handed off to Eli Manning.(second best handoff after Montana to Young)

Favre did well handing off to Rogers. (the poster child for just being present)

Robert Griffin handed off to Cousins.(Griffin just did not know he was a bridge just like his 1st wife did not know she was a bridge)

Edited by cba fan
  • Like (+1) 1

On March 13, 2018 at 11:06 PM, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

I find the narrative overused. Bridge QBs don't see themselves as bridges, they want the start and the contract, and have no interest in getting benched.

Name me a situation where a bridge QB successfully passed the torch to a young QB.

Favre and Rodgers certainly don't count. Use that relationship as your baseline.

I totally agree with you.

This is sort of a sports myth, along with "momentum" and "chemistry" between QB and WR.

1 hour ago, MOVALLEYRANDY said:

I don't think we've met so I'm not you're buddy yet, but as somebody who has been in the college and high school ranks since I was 24, I'm 58, until a car accident 11 years ago, you really make a good point but take Josh Allen who grew up in the sticks . You think he had a private coach. ? (maybe he did, just guessing )Not all of these guys developed enough early and lived in an affluent enough environment to have pro coaches, which are the most overrated job in the industry. Man, many times they teach them things that is just the opposite of what the coaches want. Sorry to disturb you !!

You either can play QB at the NFL level or you can't. When you were younger they did not have as many recourses as they do now for development for these kids. Don't worry the rookie will start and need to start. No sense letting him sit when the only way to learn fully is to actually play.

Edited by Boca BIlls

18 hours ago, cba fan said:

You OP by asking us to name a QB that "actually helped a rookie" then changed the question to "successfully passed the torch to a young QB" (I know semantics kind of)

But what we lose sight of sometimes is the bridge is just a placeholder for a guy not ready yet. Just by being here and being the bridge he IS helping the rookie so rookie does not go in before he can stand the bright lights. Even if bridge or current QB hates him like Favre Brady and others have said or acted like they do hate the new guy, they help just be being here.

But since you asked:

Montana did best handing off to Young.

A. Smith did very well handing off to Mahomes.(I know it is a little early but I am going with it, may be the best)

McCown gets it: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000820945/article/jets-josh-mccown-vows-to-be-a-dang-good-bridge-qb 

Brees did well handing off to Rivers.

Trent Green handed off to Kurt Warner(I admit a good stretch on that one)

Kurt Warner handed off to Marc Bulger.

Kurt Warner handed off to Eli Manning.(second best handoff after Montana to Young)

Favre did well handing off to Rogers. (the poster child for just being present)

Robert Griffin handed off to Cousins.(Griffin just did not know he was a bridge just like his 1st wife did not know she was a bridge)

haha I respectfully disagree on your first point, I find the phrases to be synonymous.

Montana hated Young's guts. But I've said earlier, pissing off your backup in the wing probably gives all the more

Who knows about Mahomes, but I think that situation was handled well and he has stud WRs

I'll buy Brees Rivers

Trent got hurt is all, they didn't want to play the baggage grocer in a million years.

Kurt sucked in those years between Rams and Cards. Who's to say Eli shouldn't have started

Favre and Rodgers are same as Montana and Young.

Don't act like Cousins learned anything from RG3, these were just 2 rookie quarterbacks. And RG3 was such a weirdo.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

haha I respectfully disagree on your first point, I find the phrases to be synonymous.

Montana hated Young's guts. But I've said earlier, pissing off your backup in the wing probably gives all the more

Who knows about Mahomes, but I think that situation was handled well and he has stud WRs

I'll buy Brees Rivers

Trent got hurt is all, they didn't want to play the baggage grocer in a million years.

Kurt sucked in those years between Rams and Cards. Who's to say Eli shouldn't have started

Favre and Rodgers are same as Montana and Young.

Don't act like Cousins learned anything from RG3, these were just 2 rookie quarterbacks. And RG3 was such a weirdo.

I did not know Montana hated Young.

You are right though about Bridges usually do not help next starter by taking them under their wing so to speak. No argument.

My main and only point is the bridge is like a temporary shim you break off or pull out when the building foundation is ready to be set. Just a necessary temp guy.

It will be interesting if McCown does as he says he will in the link I provided. He has a history of not being very friendly to fans and support staff from anecdotal non verifiable fan interaction posts I have seen. But you know guys mellow with age and reality.

Easy.

The best example of a bridge QB working is Doug Pederson--->Donovan McNabb. Official Story.

Actual Story: I lived in Philly at the time and observed this whole thing. It was a brilliant set of moves by that Eagles FO. First: Eagle fans are aggressively ignorant about football, in general. They booed when McNabb was drafted. ( :lol: ) Pederson was signed for 2 reasons: 1) the Eagles weren't doing much that year no matter what. so, why throw your high draft pick rookie QB to the dogs, crush his confidence, and set the idiot Eagles fans against him from day 1? 2) Pederson was decent, but never, ever good enough to beat out McNabb, once McNabb got his NFL sea legs., so, no controversy.

After around game 7, the same idiot Eagle frans who had booed his pick, were demanding that McNabb start! :wallbash:  So, of course, they started McNabb, as they had planned to all along,  and of course, the idiot fans claimed credit for forcing them to do it. The whole thing was an obvious setup, and the small # of intelligent fans knew it, but, why complain? McNabb came in and played great. In the end, 90% of their fans were happy.

Tough thing to pull off in Philly, and it worked out great for both players.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

On 3/13/2018 at 11:24 PM, MrEpsYtown said:

A bridge quarterback is not meant to be some big buddy or something. It is really meant to provide the rookie with someone to look up to, to see their work ethic and how they watch film and things of that nature. They are still competing for a job every day. A bridge is not supposed to be your best friend. 

There needs to be a veteran in the room. If you are planning on the rookie starting right away, then the vet can be a guy like Matt Moore. If you want the rookie to earn the job and compete for it, which is likely with this staff, then you sign a guy like McCarron who is still young and hungry. 

It is ideal that a QB be a "Big Brother" type to a rookie QB. But these professional athletes are so competitive and ego driven that it is hard to get them to be a mentor type. Unless you have a lower end starting caliber QB at the very back end of his career (and he knows it) odds are that any QB worth his salt is going to see a rookie as a threat more so than as a little brother. The purpose of a "Bridge QB" is multi-folded 1- It allows the team to have a starting caliber option in case a college rookie isn't ready for various reasons, 2- It offers a rookie a high caliber professional to look at and see how it gets done, 3- It sets a standard for a rookie QB to go out and beat. 

• Like (+1) 1