Name me a bridge QB that actually helped a rookie

53 minutes ago, row_33 said:

that was my immediate thought, but Brett entered halfway through the second game and started when he could the rest of the way that season...

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/gnb/1992.htm

we knew from college that Rodgers was a star

Falcons had Chris Miller, didn't need Favre or whatever the frick his name was.... in hindsight a bad move...

Yeah that's why I wasn't sure if he counted.

57 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Was a mentor, helped the guy in the QB room, taught him how to prepare.  Tannehill's actual abilities as QB aren't the question

I believe when these things are pointed to it is within the context of the latter achieving some semblance of success.

I lean towards it has been Moore this whole time with the Carolina connection and the Daboll connection. I don't know Hap, while I definitely understand where you are coming from I just don't like the idea of Moore and I don't necessarily agree that he has been beneficial to Tannehill. 

16 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Alright then, I'll count Favre-Rodgers

but I guess I want to see something more similar to our situation, and I don't see much. Like I don't call Favre a bridge, he's the franchise until he calls it quits. If we're looking at bringing in some mediocre backup QB in the name of giving a rook time on the bench, not gonna be happy.

What? I love Favre, one of my all time favorites!

Ok, here are some positive bridge QB’s that you may have heard of... I understand that it’s hard to remember things from several years ago, I too forgot about some of these.... Warner to Eli, Brees to Rivers, Maddox to Roethlisberger, Bledsoe to Brady, Plummer to Cutler, Culpepper to Stafford, Derek Anderson to Cam Newton, Jon Kitna to Carson Palmer, Chris Chandler to Mike Vick, Doug Flutie to Drew Brees (there’s a real good one)....

Bledsoe to Brady, Brady to Garoppolo...

Bledsoe to Romo, Romo to Dak....

Bledsoe to Flutie, Flutie to Brees then Flutie goes and plays with Brady....

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, CountryCletus said:

Ok, here are some positive bridge QB’s that you may have heard of... I understand that it’s hard to remember things from several years ago, I too forgot about some of these.... Warner to Eli, Brees to Rivers, Maddox to Roethlisberger, Bledsoe to Brady, Plummer to Cutler, Culpepper to Stafford, Derek Anderson to Cam Newton, Jon Kitna to Carson Palmer, Chris Chandler to Mike Vick, Doug Flutie to Drew Brees (there’s a real good one)....

Bledsoe to Brady is not a bridge situation.  Nor was Romo to Dak.  Nor was Brady to Garoppolo.  Nor was Brees to Rivers.

Actually, none of your examples are bridge QB situations.

A bridge QB is a QB brought in to spend 1-2 years holding down the fort while an heir apparent gets NFL ready.

Tyrod Taylor's situation in Cleveland is a bridge (God help them).  Josh McCown is a bridge.  Fitz was supposed to be a bridge on the Jets, but their draft picks sucked.

1 hour ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

sort of want I'm arguing for. I don't want Matt Moore starting over Sam Darnold or *name a rook*, just because of the bridge idea. I want the best QB in camp. The Texans handled a situation like that moronically last year.

dude Favre literally made attempts to turn the team against Rodgers over and over again. Embarrassed him whenever possible. And it's not like Favre taught Rodgers tape or work ethic lol, he didn't do it himself. He was hardly the model for a young QB.

Michael Jordan destroyed many young teammate's confidence cause he was a psychopath for competition.

Sometimes the best thing you learn is how not to do things/behave. Bad role models do have their place.

12 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Bledsoe to Brady is not a bridge situation.  Nor was Romo to Dak.  Nor was Brady to Garoppolo.  Nor was Brees to Rivers.

A bridge QB is a QB brought in to spend 1-2 years holding down the fort while an heir apparent gets NFL ready.

Tyrod Taylor's situation in Cleveland is a bridge (God help them).  Josh McCown is a bridge.  Fitz was supposed to be a bridge on the Jets, but their draft picks sucked.

You work for Snopes, correct?

• Haha (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, CountryCletus said:

I should have posed a better question, as in what team in our situation, brings in a bridge and drafts a rookie with the intention of starting the bridge, and had success. As in is the bridge worth it? Sure the team can go 4-12 never start their, rook, and he turns out great once he starts. But did he really learn from being under a bad bridge QB? Why shouldn't he have started anyway. I guess there's no telling with that philosophy since we're dealing with hypotheticals and revisionist history.

Flutie to Brees, Bledsoe to Romo, Kitna to Palmer, Warner to Eli all make sense. I think Maddox was a total fluke, didn't Big Ben win the SB his rookie year?

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks

12 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Pardon me, sir- but you are not the resident expert on bridge QB’s, clearly!! Lol.... I can agree that Bledsoe isn’t.... anytime you have a vet holding the drivers seat for a rookie that has been drafted to be the starter, that’s a bridge.... regardless of his position on the roster prior to the draft 

2 minutes ago, CountryCletus said:

Pardon me, sir- but you are not the resident expert on bridge QB’s, clearly!! Lol.... I can agree that Bledsoe isn’t.... anytime you have a vet holding the drivers seat for a rookie that has been drafted to be the starter, that’s a bridge.... regardless of his position on the roster prior to the draft 

Thank you for more clearly stating your inaccurate stance.

1 minute ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

I should have posed a better question, as in what team in our situation, brings in a bridge and drafts a rookie with the intention of starting the bridge, and had success. As in is the bridge worth it? Sure the team can go 4-12 never start their, rook, and he turns out great once he starts. But did he really learn from being under a bad bridge QB? Why shouldn't he have started anyway. I guess there's no telling with that philosophy since we're dealing with hypotheticals and revisionist history.

This is just getting out of hand.... which team in our situation brought in a bridge QB and had success.... note: said bridge QB must be ambidextrous, wear socks with sandals, have two different colored eyes, be allergic to bee stings, prefer to play on turf, have a favorite color of green, hail from the Midwest, be 6’4” or taller,  and never have consumed alcohol...

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

Thank you for more clearly stating your inaccurate stance.

You’re an idiot....

2 minutes ago, CountryCletus said:

I'm agreeing with Gugny, they're not drafting these quarterbacks to start. Brady's longevity outlasted Garoppolo's rookie contract, they simply wanted to get rid of Brees, not use him as a bridge. Bledsoe got hurt, Patriots never imagined TB12 would turn into what he was, otherwise Bledsoe would have finished his career in NE.

We obviously don't have a clear definition of a bridge, but I go with Gugny in that a bridge is a guy you bring in with no future plans for the sole purpose of keeping your prized rook on the bench.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, CountryCletus said:

This is just getting out of hand.... which team in our situation brought in a bridge QB and had success.... note: said bridge QB must be ambidextrous, wear socks with sandals, have two different colored eyes, be allergic to bee stings, prefer to play on turf, have a favorite color of green, hail from the Midwest, be 6’4” or taller,  and never have consumed alcohol...

You’re an idiot....

So your definition of a bridge QB is any QB who has a backup.

That's !@#$ing brilliant.

Just now, Gugny said:

So your definition of a bridge QB is any QB who has a backup.

That's !@#$ing brilliant.

Fine attempt at twisting words, horrible attempt and actually reading and comprehending the English language... it’s undesrandable as it’s your second language, but I urge you to put in some extra study time...

6 minutes ago, CountryCletus said:

This is just getting out of hand.... which team in our situation brought in a bridge QB and had success

That's not too specific. But this is what I'm driving at. I think we can list more situations where this was a bad idea than a good one. Tom Savage over Deshaun Watson?!?