Name me a bridge QB that actually helped a rookie

It's about insurance.  If the rookie (especially a highly drafted one) is worth his salt, the guy is going to take the job quickly, if not before the season.  But having a vet there who's been there done that certainly helps a kid get his feet under him.  Wentz-Daniel / Luck - Hasselbeck / Mariota - Cassel / Dak-Romo just to name a few.  

10 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

I find the narrative overused. Bridge QBs don't see themselves as bridges, they want the start and the contract, and have no interest in getting benched.

Name me a situation where a bridge QB successfully passed the torch to a young QB.

Favre and Rodgers certainly don't count. Use that relationship as your baseline.

I suspect there's a "devil in the details" of how you define "bridge qb" where you're going to come back at any example and say "no no that's not a bridge!"

Matt Hasselbeck and Jake Locker/Matt Hasselbeck and Andrew Luck would probably be the best example.  When he got the nod, Hasselbeck proved he could still play, and play decently, up until the end of his career.  Both Locker and Luck are on record saying how helpful he was to them. 

Matt Moore and Ryan Tannehill.  Moore had started in 2011, stayed on to back up Tannehill, and by all accounts has been very helpful to him.

Did you know Brian Daboll was the OC in Miami in 2011, in between the Browns and Chiefs?  With Matt Moore?  I had not realized that.

Brett Favre

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Did you know Brian Daboll was the OC in Miami in 2011, in between the Browns and Chiefs?  With Matt Moore?  I had not realized that.

I did.  It's not a pretty time.  If Moore helped Tannehill, what metric are we using to define helped?  Tannehill has not accomplished what everyone was hoping he would.  Granted the franchise is a train wreck, but in my opinion so is Tannehill.

1 hour ago, CountryCletus said:

1.) why don’t Favre and Rodgers count

2.) how are we measuring a successful passing of the torch?  There are several ways one player can help another that are not on the field directly...

Rodgers is on record saying that he didn't learn a thing from Favre, that Favre was ultra-competitive with him and basically a total d*ck in the locker room.

http://thelab.bleacherreport.com/gunslinger-brett-favre-aaron-rodgers-feud-jeff-pearlman-excerpt/

"(reporter) Tomlinson asked Rodgers what people had told him about Brett Favre. “Not much,” Rodgers said. “I really don’t know what to expect.”

Tomlinson felt pangs of sympathy for the kid. “Honestly,” the writer said, “I think he’ll torment the hell out of you. Knowing how insecure he is, I think he’ll give you a lot of ****.”

"At the time, some in the media tried selling the story of the superstar assisting the newbie. (...) “My contract doesn’t say I have to get Aaron Rodgers ready to play,” Favre told ESPN. “Now hopefully he watches me and gets something from that.”  From that first day, Favre did nothing to help Rodgers and much to hurt and ridicule him. With Doug Pederson now retired, Nall served as Favre’s primary sidekick, and the two southern boys talked about Rodgers like two bullies mocking a math club nerd."

(at the end of the season, to Tomlinson) “What you told me about Brett,” Rodgers said. “You were 100-percent right.”

Apparently Rodgers returned fire when he could, calling Favre "Grandpa" and asking him his Wonderlic score, so it's not all one side.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Rodgers is on record saying that he didn't learn a thing from Favre, that Favre was ultra-competitive with him and basically a total d*ck in the locker room.

http://thelab.bleacherreport.com/gunslinger-brett-favre-aaron-rodgers-feud-jeff-pearlman-excerpt/

"(reporter) Tomlinson asked Rodgers what people had told him about Brett Favre. “Not much,” Rodgers said. “I really don’t know what to expect.”

Tomlinson felt pangs of sympathy for the kid. “Honestly,” the writer said, “I think he’ll torment the hell out of you. Knowing how insecure he is, I think he’ll give you a lot of ****.”

"At the time, some in the media tried selling the story of the superstar assisting the newbie. (...) “My contract doesn’t say I have to get Aaron Rodgers ready to play,” Favre told ESPN. “Now hopefully he watches me and gets something from that.”  From that first day, Favre did nothing to help Rodgers and much to hurt and ridicule him. With Doug Pederson now retired, Nall served as Favre’s primary sidekick, and the two southern boys talked about Rodgers like two bullies mocking a math club nerd."

(at the end of the season, to Tomlinson) “What you told me about Brett,” Rodgers said. “You were 100-percent right.”

Apparently Rodgers returned fire when he could, calling Favre "Grandpa" and asking him his Wonderlic score, so it's not all one side.

Lots of folks here have insisted that Rodgers magically benefited from sitting behind Favre.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Does Don Majikowski to Brett Farve count?

that was my immediate thought, but Brett entered halfway through the second game and started when he could the rest of the way that season...

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/gnb/1992.htm

10 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

Lots of folks here have insisted that Rodgers magically benefited from sitting behind Favre.

we knew from college that Rodgers was a star

Falcons had Chris Miller, didn't need Favre or whatever the frick his name was.... in hindsight a bad move...

37 minutes ago, simool said:

Brett Favre

I did.  It's not a pretty time.  If Moore helped Tannehill, what metric are we using to define helped?  Tannehill has not accomplished what everyone was hoping he would.  Granted the franchise is a train wreck, but in my opinion so is Tannehill.

Was a mentor, helped the guy in the QB room, taught him how to prepare.  Tannehill's actual abilities as QB aren't the question

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

2 hours ago, CountryCletus said:

1.) why don’t Favre and Rodgers count

2.) how are we measuring a successful passing of the torch?  There are several ways one player can help another that are not on the field directly...

1. because Favre Rodgers had a hostile relationship, we tout the benefits of bridge by having someone the QB can learn from. Although if we're making the argument that competition, not comraderie is beneficial to young quarterbacks, by all means it's a good pairing. I don't think many most young quarterbacks want to be in that situation with a franchise legend though.

2. The next QB turned into the type a talent we would want here. I'm questioning the precedent for bridging quarterbacks because we keep mentioning it on here. A young guy like McCaron is hardly a bridge, he's be simply competition to a rook we bring in here. My position is to start the rook, and have a backup that is not PT5P.

7 hours ago, MJS said:

Name me a ROOKIE who helped a bridge QB. I'm waiting.

Probably pissed off Rich Gannon for his career resurgence.

14 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

Rodgers probably benefited from sitting, but not from sitting behind Favre - more from working with Mike McCarthy, Joe Philbin, and Tom Clements and building some rappore with the WR.  Ironically, McCarthy probably also revived Favre enough to keep Rodgers on the bench 2 more years.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Rodgers probably benefited from sitting, but not from sitting behind Favre - more from working with Mike McCarthy and Tom Clements and building some rappore with the WR

Ironically, McCarthy probably revived Favre enough to keep Rodgers on the bench 2 more years.

Rodgers benefitted from hating Favre to the point where he was trying to out compete a legend. Same for Steve Young. I get that argument. Favre, if anything, inadvertently made his enemy stronger.

(I read Favre's biography, "Gunslinger", it was great)

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks

7 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

1. because Favre Rodgers had a hostile relationship, we tout the benefits of bridge by having someone the QB can learn from. Although if we're making the argument that competition, not comraderie is beneficial to young quarterbacks, by all means it's a good pairing. I don't think many most young quarterbacks want to be in that situation with a franchise legend though.

2. The next QB turned into the type a talent we would want here. I'm questioning the precedent for bridging quarterbacks because we keep mentioning it on here. A young guy like McCaron is hardly a bridge, he's be simply competition to a rook we bring in here. My position is to start the rook, and have a backup that is not PT5P.

Probably pissed off Rich Gannon for his career resurgence.

I find it interesting that people think it’s impossible to learn from someone just because there is a hostile or less than friendly relationship.... Peyton Manning was the same way, but I’m sure nobody ever learned anything from him either...

9 hours ago, Turk71 said:

All you want is a good qb. It doesn't  matter what you call him.

sort of want I'm arguing for. I don't want Matt Moore starting over Sam Darnold or *name a rook*, just because of the bridge idea. I want the best QB in camp. The Texans handled a situation like that moronically last year.

7 minutes ago, CountryCletus said:

I find it interesting that people think it’s impossible to learn from someone just because there is a hostile or less than friendly relationship.... Peyton Manning was the same way, but I’m sure nobody ever learned anything from him either...

dude Favre literally made attempts to turn the team against Rodgers over and over again. Embarrassed him whenever possible. And it's not like Favre taught Rodgers tape or work ethic lol, he didn't do it himself. He was hardly the model for a young QB.

Michael Jordan destroyed many young teammate's confidence cause he was a psychopath for competition.

The bridge qb is not there to really help the rookie, he is there to protect the franchise from being forced to start their rookie even if he's not ready or if they feel throwing him to the wolves is in anybody's best interest. This will be a big investment, you want to get it right and do it right.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, The Drought said:

The bridge qb is not there to really help the rookie, he is there to protect the franchise from being forced to start their rookie even if he's not ready or if they feel throwing him to the wolves is in anybody's best interest. This will be a big investment, you want to get it right and do it right.

each future scenario has to be a case-by-case basis,  and I'm sure we can find 12 to 1,000 examples for every situation that can arise in the future

17 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

sort of want I'm arguing for. I don't want Matt Moore starting over Sam Darnold or *name a rook*, just because of the bridge idea. I want the best QB in camp. The Texans handled a situation like that moronically last year.

dude Favre literally made attempts to turn the team against Rodgers over and over again. Embarrassed him whenever possible. And it's not like Favre taught Rodgers tape or work ethic lol, he didn't do it himself. He was hardly the model for a young QB.

Michael Jordan destroyed many young teammate's confidence cause he was a psychopath for competition.

Again- trying to suggest that there is only one way to help a player, a direct hand in hand effort is silly...  I have had several people in leadership positions that I disliked due to various reasons, yet I was still able to learn from each one of them... whether it was taking something that they did well and learn from it, or taking a negative thing and making a concerted effort to NOT do what that person did.... learning is learning, and you don’t have to have a cheerleader or a positive interaction to learn....

2 minutes ago, CountryCletus said:

Again- trying to suggest that there is only one way to help a player, a direct hand in hand effort is silly...  I have had several people in leadership positions that I disliked due to various reasons, yet I was still able to learn from each one of them... whether it was taking something that they did well and learn from it, or taking a negative thing and making a concerted effort to NOT do what that person did.... learning is learning, and you don’t have to have a cheerleader or a positive interaction to learn....

Alright then, I'll count Favre-Rodgers

but I guess I want to see something more similar to our situation, and I don't see much. Like I don't call Favre a bridge, he's the franchise until he calls it quits. If we're looking at bringing in some mediocre backup QB in the name of giving a rook time on the bench, not gonna be happy.

19 minutes ago, row_33 said:

yeah, Favre was overrated and garbage and a horrible human being....  :(:(

let it go already you d-bags...

What? I love Favre, one of my all time favorites!