Name me a bridge QB that actually helped a rookie

2 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

A bridge quarterback is not meant to be some big buddy or something. It is really meant to provide the rookie with someone to look up to, to see their work ethic and how they watch film and things of that nature. They are still competing for a job every day. A bridge is not supposed to be your best friend. 

There needs to be a veteran in the room. If you are planning on the rookie starting right away, then the vet can be a guy like Matt Moore. If you want the rookie to earn the job and compete for it, which is likely with this staff, then you sign a guy like McCarron who is still young and hungry. 

There's all kinds of bridges. Some are there knowing they're a bridge and others want to win the starters job and keep it forever. Some are mentors and others aren't.

The thing that makes them a bridge is that they allow the team some time to sit the new guy. That's it, really. Anything else is a bonus.

One classic example is Doug Flutie. Not here. In San Diego. He allowed them to sit Brees his first year and Brees has ended up being mildly successful. Pretty sure RGIII didn't know he was a bridge, but effectively that's what he was, giving Cousins a chance to learn, grow and be ready. Testaverde for Pennington. Till Pennington's shoulder injury, that looked like a classic, extremely successful version of using a bridge guy to give a rook a chance to age in the barrel a bit.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, MiltonWaddams said:

It's franchise to youngster that really has been most successful. Favre-Rodgers, Bledsoe-Brady, Brees-Rivers. You can't really use the Matt Flynn to Russell Wilson year in 2012 as an example, but I guess some might.

Drew Brees was not good until they drafted Rivers, then was able to put it all together. 

2 hours ago, Boca BIlls said:

None, a rookie either has it or they don't, the only way to truly learn is to play. That is why all of these "bridge" QBs don't start very long anymore. A true bridge QB is a franchise QB. Favre-Rodgers as exsmple.

Disagree 100 % Being in meeting rooms are huge if you have coaches who communicate the important stuff and the QB's talk  over things. 17 years as a coach at the JC and High School level and teaching plays a very important part in growth. Technique issues are better served in practice not in the line of fire. IMO

2 hours ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Jp Losman to Trent Edwards 

Two minutes in the Penalty box !

• Haha (+1) 1

What the Bills need is a solid veteran backup QB who can contribute immediately for a few games when needed. Moore on the surface at least would seem to be that type of guy... I need to more from Peterman in training camp and preseason before I will feel comfortable with him in that kind of role...

Smith to Mahomes just last year.  By all accounts he took him under his wing immediately, even though he clearly saw the writing on the wall.

2 hours ago, Chilly said:

Alex Smith this past year. 

Beat me to it.

8 hours ago, MiltonWaddams said:

It's franchise to youngster that really has been most successful. Favre-Rodgers, Bledsoe-Brady, Brees-Rivers. You can't really use the Matt Flynn to Russell Wilson year in 2012 as an example, but I guess some might.

Most posters here are considering a "bridge QB" as a starter on Week 1 while the top rookie QB "learns".  They aren't talking about the wise old veteran backup mentoring from the bench.

So therefore.... 

Brees was not a Bridge to Rivers.  SD drafted Rivers because of Bree's shaky play the previous seasons.  Then in Rivers's rookie year, Brees turned it around and made the Pro Bowl.  Then they franchised him for 2005 and then he got injured.  He was gone after that.

Bledsoe wasn't a bridge to Brady---Brady was an after thought 3rd stringer.

Matt Flynn was brought in as the free agent starter.  Wilson was drafted as a 3rd round backup.  Carroll put Wilson into preseason games and that was all for Matt Flynn.  No bridge.

Warner may be the only bridge QB brought in to start ahead of a 1st round draftee.  That's pretty much it.

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

I find the narrative overused. Bridge QBs don't see themselves as bridges, they want the start and the contract, and have no interest in getting benched.

Name me a situation where a bridge QB successfully passed the torch to a young QB.

Favre and Rodgers certainly don't count. Use that relationship as your baseline.

1.) why don’t Favre and Rodgers count

2.) how are we measuring a successful passing of the torch?  There are several ways one player can help another that are not on the field directly...