Name me a bridge QB that actually helped a rookie

I find the narrative overused. Bridge QBs don't see themselves as bridges, they want the start and the contract, and have no interest in getting benched.

Name me a situation where a bridge QB successfully passed the torch to a young QB.

Favre and Rodgers certainly don't count. Use that relationship as your baseline.

• Thank you (+1) 1

None, a rookie either has it or they don't, the only way to truly learn is to play. That is why all of these "bridge" QBs don't start very long anymore. A true bridge QB is a franchise QB. Favre-Rodgers as exsmple.

Edited by Boca BIlls
  • Like (+1) 1

Phillip Rivers, and Kaepernick are my best examples. I find it hard to believe they were mentored though, quite the opposite. Though admittedly stiff competition provides development a la Steve Young,  Joe Montana.

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Does Don Majikowski to Brett Farve count?

haha I guess?

A bridge quarterback is not meant to be some big buddy or something. It is really meant to provide the rookie with someone to look up to, to see their work ethic and how they watch film and things of that nature. They are still competing for a job every day. A bridge is not supposed to be your best friend. 

There needs to be a veteran in the room. If you are planning on the rookie starting right away, then the vet can be a guy like Matt Moore. If you want the rookie to earn the job and compete for it, which is likely with this staff, then you sign a guy like McCarron who is still young and hungry.