Anxiety over QB Selection

1 minute ago, The Jokeman said:

Or Cleveland themselves trade up to 2. The Giants are a tough team to figure out who they could be targeting if Barkley goes #1.

Which is why they're going to trade down.  The Beane/Gettleman relationship is going to get the Bills to #2.

7 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I think they take Barkley, Bills trade to two for Rosen, Colts take Chubb, Cleveland takes Allen or Darnold. If Cleveland takes a quarterback at 1, I'm not sure the Giants trade out. They probably stay and take Barkley. 

7 hours ago, eball said:

Browns *have* to take Barkley at #1 because either the Giants or Colts will grab him if they don't.  The only way Cleveland can play with the #1 selection is if QB-needy teams trade up to spots 2 AND 3.

5 minutes ago, eball said:

Which is why they're going to trade down.  The Beane/Gettleman relationship is going to get the Bills to #2.

You guys get it. Add in that this was the known scenario for 1,2,3,4  BEFORE trading TT, and you have the roadmap to day one starter Rosen

8 hours ago, QBorBust2018 said:

First of all, I would hate to be Cleveland.  I really don’t know who I want the bills to select. If a few are already off the board, then nothing you can do about it. Easier choice between 2 vs 3 prospects. 

Also, why did Sam Darnold not throw at the combine ? I watched his interview, “it was the best decision for me.”  Mayock put him on blast. If you have confidence you should want to go and compete.  Sure I like Darnold and would be happy to have him on the team, but If other options off the board by the time we pick. Pretty disappointed with his choice. 

Initially it was Darnold, then I liked Mayfield. Now Rosen.  Back to being split on Mayfield/Rosen. 

Glad I don’t have to make this decision. 

Many have not thrown at the combine and still were top 5 picks.  Not a big deal.  Just something for people to complain about.  

Actually, the one way for the Browns to select Barkley at #1 and still end up with a Top 3 QB is if they really don't see much difference between Mayfield, Rosen and Darnold for example... If the Bills are successful trading up to #2, I'd expect the Bills to choose between Mayfield and Rosen. Who knows what Beane really feels... 

8 hours ago, eball said:

Browns *have* to take Barkley at #1 because either the Giants or Colts will grab him if they don't.  The only way Cleveland can play with the #1 selection is if QB-needy teams trade up to spots 2 AND 3.

They could simply decide to pass on Barkley. It’s an amazing class for RBs and they could easily decide to take their QB there and then see what happens at 4. If Barkley is gone, maybe they take Bradley Chubb instead. If both are gone, maybe they simply trade down. Barkley makes sense for them, but so does pretty much any of the RBs. Just because he looks like a good prospect doesn’t mean they have to be the ones that take him. 

Smokescreens be damned. The Bills are not playing around and don't seem to be interested in overpaying for a bridge. I think they are making it really clear that they are trading up for a quarterback. I think the entire league knows who they want and I am not sure anyone is going to stop them. They probably already know who Cleveland is likely to take and probably know that they are going to get our guy someway. 

Either that or they are getting Nick Foles. 

None of the QBs about to be signed as FAs are the long term answer.  Seems clear the Bills are moving up and picking a guy they think walks in as the starter day 1.

A vet like Moore or Henne is likely coming in. Only other possibility is Foles

7 hours ago, kdiggz said:

This is the QB anxiety thread...I thought I was in a safe space :unsure:

20% of the QB's drafted in the top  3 spots are busts.   Jamarcus Russell, Joey Harrington, Tim Couch, Akili Smith, Heath Shuler, Ryan Leaf and Rick Mirer were all drafted in those spots.  Bourbon is your friend.

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

It makes sense to be anxious.  Going over the 1st round quarterbacks in the last ten years I think its around a 36% success rate.  At best that means 2 of the top 5 guys will be good players.  

The past does not nor cannot predict the future. The '04 draft produced 3 outstanding perhaps HOF QBs, and no draft since then this has occurred.

9 hours ago, Zebrastripes said:

Well good thing you're not a gm.  Every gm in the league would want their pick from the full group so they can get their guy.  As far as Darnold not throwing he really has nothing to gain at the combine but he has something to lose with a poor showing.

Speaks to me of his character. You throw the damn ball for a living, so why not just go out and show everybody you can.

Just now, Green Lightning said:

Speaks to me of his character. You throw the damn ball for a living, so why not just go out and show everybody you can.

I disagree, I think this was purely a business decision.  Making great throws isn't going to increase his draft stock but making poor throws or showing poor mechanics could definitely hurt his draft stock.

9 hours ago, Zebrastripes said:

Well good thing you're not a gm.  Every gm in the league would want their pick from the full group so they can get their guy.  As far as Darnold not throwing he really has nothing to gain at the combine but he has something to lose with a poor showing.

He also had something to lose with no showing. Poor choice by the one guy I want no part of in this draft.

I keep on having this scenario playing in my head. Where we are picking at #3 and Josh Rosen and Josh Allen are still on the board and the Commissioner says the Bills have taken Josh Rosen but it's the doomsday Moonlight scenario where we actually selected Josh Allen.

I can't get this out of my head. I hope Cleveland or NYG takes Josh Allen so I don't have to live through this.

1 hour ago, KW95 said:

Usually at drafts there is a clear cut QB that is said to be the best.  This year....meh.

I think it is a pick your flavor situation. They are all so different at the top and there is no Andrew Luck. I think the closest thing is probably Rosen, and Darnold could probably become that.

You you want a precise passer with perfect mechanics who is a unique personality? Rosen

You  want a gamer with tools, but some unorthodox to his game, but wins? Darnold 

You want the prototype, size, speed, arm strength that needs to be developed? Allen

You want the small overachiever, gamer, who you will have to alter your offense for but can win right away? Mayfield

You want the super athlete who can be a game changer eventually? Jackson

You want a slow, unathletic big guy from a mickey mouse offense with tiny hands, a weak arm and footwork issues? Rudolph

I think it just depends on what staffs are looking for. 

52 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

They could simply decide to pass on Barkley. It’s an amazing class for RBs and they could easily decide to take their QB there and then see what happens at 4. If Barkley is gone, maybe they take Bradley Chubb instead. If both are gone, maybe they simply trade down. Barkley makes sense for them, but so does pretty much any of the RBs. Just because he looks like a good prospect doesn’t mean they have to be the ones that take him. 

Barkley is being talked about as the clear cut #1 player in the draft -- a "generational" talent at RB.  The Browns would be, well, Brown-like, to pass on him.

No lie, I had a vivid dream about the Bills draft last night and I really hope it doesnt play out the way it did in my dream...

We stayed at 12 and drafted a QB from Auburn named "Scumbag" Boyd and somehow moved up to 13 and drafted a TE that was supposed to be the next Gronk...

Everyone was scratching their heads and like huh? Because Boyd had serious charcater issues and was projected to go in the 3rd round but they spun it like he was a much better character person than others thought and that they saw something special in him...

Then I woke up almost in a cold sweat lol...

Edited by matter2003