The Final Verdict On The Sammy Watkins Draft Day Trade?

What is the final verdict on The Sammy Watkins Trade  

150 members have voted

1. 1. What is the final verdict on The Sammy Watkins Trade

• FAIL. Doug Whaley gave up too much and Sammy under delivered
    • SUCCESS. It was a good trade. Sammy wasn't utilized properly

Another in a litany of blown, wasted picks, by Whaley, and his mentor, Buddy F-ing Nix!

Nix passed on Russel Wilson, because, and I quote him addressing me on WGR, "we thought he was too short, and besides, we had Ryan, and he was our guy."

Just be glad the idiocy at One Bills Drive is gone, and we have real football minds in control.

• Like (+1) 1

I don't think the idea of the trade itself was that bad, or that the compensation for the move up was unfair. It simply is the case that Sammy Watkins explosive ability displayed in college only translated to the NFL in short intervals. He has been a persistently injured player. Even when healthy, he didn't live up to his billing. That's the risk you take when you move up to select your guy instead of choosing from those that are available to you. Nobody would be complaining if he met the consensus expectations held by the NFL scouting community.

Edited by Fetou

26 minutes ago, harv shitz said:

Another in a litany of blown, wasted picks, by Whaley, and his mentor, Buddy F-ing Nix!

Nix passed on Russel Wilson, because, and I quote him addressing me on WGR, "we thought he was too short, and besides, we had Ryan, and he was our guy."

Just be glad the idiocy at One Bills Drive is gone, and we have real football minds in control.

I love this quote....too funny

On 3/13/2018 at 10:07 PM, mileena said:

How does that matter?

It doesnt. I wanted to know who went with the pick we traded away cuz sometimes i wonder how it wouldve played out if we never traded up.  It didnt work out for us. The Browns didnt make much out of those picks either. 

Given how highly we think of deontr Thompson. We would have had several more play making with watkins. Loves Gaines, but are we keeping him?? We lack at the WR position

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks

It was clearly a fail, when judging by the results. He's not on the team anymore. I don't even understand why this is a thread. 

I wish it would have worked out better, and I love how now everyone knows Odell would have became what he is. The rest of the receivers in that draft aren't better than Sammy, or just as injury prone.

No one saw Odell being what he was and what he could become in that draft. It's annoying to read the people with 20/20 hindsight talk about receivers in that draft.

6 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

Hey we could of had this clown

Could you imagine this fanbase dealing with that dude? It'd be so ugly.

Edited by Ol Dirty B

On 3/13/2018 at 9:11 PM, BuffaloRush said:

Ok it's been a full 4 years since the epic draft day deal that sent 2 draft picks to Cleveland to select Florida WR stand out Samual Watkins IV with the 4th overall selection in 2014.  Bills GM Doug Whaley called Watkins a "generational talent" and when discussing the trade he said this:

We thought it was a win for us now. We're building our roster now, and granted, you hate giving up No. 1 picks, but what we thought he brings us now is worth giving up a low (No. 1) that we'll be giving up next year."  

And then, he walked it back and uttered a phrase which Bills fans will remember forever ""That's not a guarantee; I'm saying we expect it to be low," he said. "I'm a competitor, call me crazy, I like those odds."

But the question remains, what is the final verdict on Sammy Watkins?   Was he truly the "generational" talent as promised?  His numbers wouldn't indicate that he was but you can argue that there were serious reasons for that.  

So let's make the call about Sammy Watkins

Not even close to a generational talent and it was an idiotic trade.  You take those kinds of gambles for a QB not a WR.  The sad thing is that Sammy was not even close to being the best WR in the draft.  Not to mention he had a very poor attitude.  I guess we will see how he does in KC with a full training camp but it’s obvious the Rams did not see him as a generational talent. 

• Like (+1) 1