The Final Verdict On The Sammy Watkins Draft Day Trade?

What is the final verdict on The Sammy Watkins Trade  

150 members have voted

1. 1. What is the final verdict on The Sammy Watkins Trade

• FAIL. Doug Whaley gave up too much and Sammy under delivered
    • SUCCESS. It was a good trade. Sammy wasn't utilized properly

Ok it's been a full 4 years since the epic draft day deal that sent 2 draft picks to Cleveland to select Florida WR stand out Samual Watkins IV with the 4th overall selection in 2014.  Bills GM Doug Whaley called Watkins a "generational talent" and when discussing the trade he said this:

We thought it was a win for us now. We're building our roster now, and granted, you hate giving up No. 1 picks, but what we thought he brings us now is worth giving up a low (No. 1) that we'll be giving up next year."  

And then, he walked it back and uttered a phrase which Bills fans will remember forever ""That's not a guarantee; I'm saying we expect it to be low," he said. "I'm a competitor, call me crazy, I like those odds."

But the question remains, what is the final verdict on Sammy Watkins?   Was he truly the "generational" talent as promised?  His numbers wouldn't indicate that he was but you can argue that there were serious reasons for that.  

So let's make the call about Sammy Watkins

Edited by BuffaloRush

It's pretty clear at this point that trading up for him was a mistake. If we had the 4th overall to begin with and we took Sammy - even considering we'd have taken him before Mack - I would not call it a fail because Sammy was seen as a once-in-a-generation type prospect at the WR position. But the fact that we traded up and lost our next year's first to do it makes it a fail, because he was not the game breaker we were expecting. 

1 minute ago, FearLess Price said:

Who did they draft with the pick we used to trade up  for Watkins with

The Browns jumped back up one spot and took Justin Gilbert. The Vikings picked Anthony Barr at #9.

12 minutes ago, Big C said:

It's pretty clear at this point that trading up for him was a mistake. If we had the 4th overall to begin with and we took Sammy - even considering we'd have taken him before Mack - I would not call it a fail because Sammy was seen as a once-in-a-generation type prospect at the WR position. But the fact that we traded up and lost our next year's first to do it makes it a fail, because he was not the game breaker we were expecting. 

All good points that I tend to agree with.  You might be surprised at how many fans defend Whaley and his decisions to trade up for Sammy, in a very rich WR draft 

1 minute ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

The only success is getting a second round pick; Winning!!

Thanks to Sean McDermott cleaning up a mess Doug Whaley created.  Though anytime you are critical of Whaley, at least a few Bills fans in general will defend him.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Ok it's been a full 5 years since the epic draft day deal that sent 2 draft picks to Cleveland to select Florida WR stand out Samual Watkins IV with the 4th overall selection in 2014.  Bills GM Doug Whaley called Watkins a "generational talent" and when discussing the trade he said this:

We thought it was a win for us now. We're building our roster now, and granted, you hate giving up No. 1 picks, but what we thought he brings us now is worth giving up a low (No. 1) that we'll be giving up next year."  

And then, he walked it back and uttered a phrase which Bills fans will remember forever ""That's not a guarantee; I'm saying we expect it to be low," he said. "I'm a competitor, call me crazy, I like those odds."

But the question remains, what is the final verdict on Sammy Watkins?   Was he truly the "generational" talent as promised?  His numbers wouldn't indicate that he was but you can argue that there were serious reasons for that.  

So let's make the call about Sammy Watkins

4 years ago BRO.

2 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Is it against the rules to talk about major events in team history, which arguably impact the modern day Bills?

It’s against the rules to get your math wrong.

Anything else I can help you with?

• Haha (+1) 1