Ross Tucker Says We're Likely Signing McCarron

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

You mean Tim Tebow?

Yeah - I recognized that I was confusing the specifics of the two QBs right after I posted that.

However he did beat LSU for the title in 12 against a team stacked with NFL defensive talent. The other title game was against T'eo and the Irish; but he also beat two NFLers in Georgia along the way. 

Confession that I did have to look that up. Tebow, I think, only makes my point stronger. Success at the highest level in the biggest games, and all.

3 minutes ago, BananaB said:

He’s a risk, I get it. But he played solid for a guy in his second season getting his action for the first time.... Part of the reason he hasn’t been considered is because of the risk when so many guys have proved more and have more gametime experience.  That can’t be knock on how he played, just teams wanting to be safe. At this point to we have the option of playing it safe? Peterman is the only QB on our roster. 

The Pats have the best QB in the league,  I doubt they’d offer him a starting contract. Brady could retire any year despite wanting to play for 3 or 4 more.  They also have a quality backup locked in for 3 years, why even show interest in McCarron?   No since speculating on why they are interested in McCarron. All I know is the Pats have proven they are great evaluators of talent. 

The pats backup is Brian Hoyer. He’s bad,   McCarron is an upgrade. He gives them a better chance to win games if brady gets hurt.  That’s the main reason why Belichick wants him imo.  Being an upgrade to brain hoyer isn’t something I’d like to hang my hat on.  And we’re talking about him being our starter. 

This is my thing,  I’d rather spend the 15 mill+ elsewhere.  15+ mill could really help this years team make a push.  I especially wouldn’t want to allocate 2 years of pay for him.  I wouldn’t want to be on the hook for his contract next season if we trade up for a qb.  10 mill guaranteed would be fine

We need 2 LBs, at least 1 DE, backuo DT, 2-3 CBs, an entire right side of the OL, TE, 2 WRs.  That’s a LOT to fill with what we have left after signing Star and Kyle.  We have lots of picks, but how many will we have after we trade up?  If we sign McCarron, we’re probably going to have under 15 mill in cap space and still have draft picks to sign.  We can make some things work with backloaded contract.....but do we really want to do that multiple times?  

In summary: we have lots of holes.  Lots. If we’re going to trade multiple draft picks for a QB (which I hope we do),I don’t want to be on the hook paying AJ McCarron for more than one season.   If we give him 10 mill guaranteed I’ll be Ok with it. If we give him a contract that we can’t get out of next year without a hit, I won’t be a fan of the move (unless he’s getting paid 7 mill or so per). A team friendly contract that can be easily moved, it makes sense.  I’m just not a big fan of the guy.  Much rather would’ve paid Bradford, Teddy, or McCown and I’m not sure why we didn’t if McCarron is the guy we end up with

1 minute ago, Tyrod's friend said:

Yeah - I recognized that I was confusing the specifics of the two QBs right after I posted that.

However he did beat LSU for the title in 12 against a team stacked with NFL defensive talent. The other title game was against T'eo and the Irish; but he also beat two NFLers in Georgia along the way. 

Confession that I did have to look that up. Tebow, I think, only makes my point stronger. Success at the highest level in the biggest games, and all.

I don’t understand how Tebow makes your point stronger. 

37 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I am a huge Crimson Tide fan. I am not saying that AJ is great, but he is a winner, and a good player to have on the team. We are not talking about EJ Manuel here.

Make no mistake, there are qbs in this draft that I would love to select as well, but McCarron (imo) is WAY better than you think.

Hes better than stinks.  No doubt,  I’ve retracted that he stinks.  He’s an ok qb, which imo, stinks as a starting QB.  Been there.  Done that. Over that.  You should be too.  I guess with all this news of moving up in the draft and getting a potential stud qb, the thought of paying AJ McCarron as much as Jj watt just doesn’t make sense to me.  I can deal for a year, but it has to be a team friendly deal that can be easily moved 

If we sign a backup like Tim Tebow, and all he does is take us to the playoffs, and you think he's a terrible starting QB, then I really don't know what to say. If you are looking for more than that at this point on the carousel then well ... It's 4 AM and Miss America ain't coming in the bar.

Playing big in the big games as a starter is someone that doesn't choke, and rises to the occasion. I like that in a QB.  

58 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I am a huge Crimson Tide fan. I am not saying that AJ is great, but he is a winner, and a good player to have on the team. We are not talking about EJ Manuel here.

Make no mistake, there are qbs in this draft that I would love to select as well, but McCarron (imo) is WAY better than you think.

I think he ends up in NE, Bill. Brady has been dropping hints in the last week that this next season will be his last.

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

I think he ends up in NE, Bill. Brady has been dropping hints in the last week that this next season will be his last.

Unfortunately you may be right. Not to mention the fact that beyond Tucker I haven't seen us linked to McCarron concretely anywhere

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Unfortunately you may be right. Not to mention the fact that beyond Tucker I haven't seen us linked to McCarron concretely anywhere

New regime seems to have a knack of flying under the radar so perhaps theres still hope.

The problem I see here is its hard for Buffalo to promise anything more then backup just like New England.

1 minute ago, Figster said:

New regime seems to have a knack of flying under the radar so perhaps theres still hope.

The problem I see here is its hard for Buffalo to promise anything more then backup just like New England.

Well, the difference would be that Buffalo could tell him with 100% honesty that he's going to enter their offseason program as the starter, and that anyone else they bring in would have to beat him out for the job.

There isn't another NFL team that could tell him that right now and have it be taken seriously.

43 minutes ago, Hurricane Marv said:

There's always at least one of you.

No there isn't, she's a smoke show.  I was kidding.

9 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Ugly indeed. I think that McCarron's price tag will go up in light of that sad list.

Please post us pictures of all the hotter women than her that you are in contact with in any way, shape or form. I am not counting magazine pictures.

see above

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Tyrod's friend said:

If we sign a backup like Tim Tebow, and all he does is take us to the playoffs, and you think he's a terrible starting QB, then I really don't know what to say. If you are looking for more than that at this point on the carousel then well ... It's 4 AM and Miss America ain't coming in the bar.

Playing big in the big games as a starter is someone that doesn't choke, and rises to the occasion. I like that in a QB.  

I think you're still missing the point that great success in college is meaningless in the NFL.  Both Tebow and, so far, McCarron are being used as equivalent cases to support this argument.

Just now, thebandit27 said:

Well, the difference would be that Buffalo could tell him with 100% honesty that he's going to enter their offseason program as the starter, and that anyone else they bring in would have to beat him out for the job.

There isn't another NFL team that could tell him that right now and have it be taken seriously.

I'm really hoping the argument you present works on this kid,

I don't know...

7 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

If the Bills get one of the top 4 (and even their top choice) at QB, why would you promise the starting job to McCarron upon signing him?

8 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Well, the difference would be that Buffalo, an NFL Playoff team, could tell him with 100% honesty that he's going to enter their offseason program as the starter, and that anyone else they bring in would have to beat him out for the job.

Forgive me for being presumptuous bandit, but fixed.

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

If the Bills get one of the top 4 (and even their top choice) at QB, why would you promise the starting job to McCarron upon signing him?

You wouldn't "promise" him anything.  Telling him that he would start the offseason program as their QB1 is a logical and appropriate gesture.  He's earned the contract based upon his play in the NFL; you don't hand the job to a rookie without making him beat someone.

Just now, dollars 2 donuts said:

Forgive me for being presumptuous bandit, but fixed.

:thumbsup:

I would've gone with "improved" or "augmented"

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

You wouldn't "promise" him anything.  Telling him that he would start the offseason program as their QB1 is a logical and appropriate gesture.  He's earned the contract based upon his play in the NFL; you don't hand the job to a rookie without making him beat someone.

McCarron has enough confidence in himself so this approach might work If indeed the Bills have A J in their cross hairs.

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I guess I equated telling him "with 100% honesty that he was going to enter the offseason program as the starter" was the same as promising him he would be the starter the moment he signed...because those have exactly the same meaning.

So, again, why tell a guy who is a career backup that it's his job to lose over the 1st round rookie?  Why not tell him the opposite---that he has to beat out all other QBs on the roster to win the job?

The vast majority of 1st round rookies are handed the job, essentially.  And McCarron certainly hasn't earned much with 3 starts in his entire career.

3 minutes ago, Figster said:

McCarron has enough confidence in himself so this approach might work If indeed the Bills have A J in their cross hairs.

Every backup who has little or no starting time has a lot of confidence.  They all think they should be starting.  The ones who have significant starting experience have a more realistic understanding of their skills.

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

I guess I equated telling him "with 100% honesty that he was going to enter the offseason program as the starter" was the same as promising him he would be the starter the moment he signed...because those have exactly the same meaning.

So, again, why tell a guy who is a career backup that it's his job to lose over the 1st round rookie?  Why not tell him the opposite---that he has to beat out all other QBs on the roster to win the job?

The vast majority of 1st round rookies are handed the job, essentially.  And McCarron certainly hasn't earned much with 3 starts in his entire career.

Those only have the same meaning if you're looking for a reason to argue.

You make it clear to McCarron that he's in pole position, and that the rookie has to outperform him in TC and preseason to get the job.

If you equate that to promising him that he'll be the QB1 when the season starts, well, I simply don't see how that's the same.

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

Those only have the same meaning if you're looking for a reason to argue.

You make it clear to McCarron that he's in pole position, and that the rookie has to outperform him in TC and preseason to get the job.

If you equate that to promising him that he'll be the QB1 when the season starts, well, I simply don't see how that's the same.

I didn't say that.  Twice, I said when he signs.

Not that it matters.  You sign a guy like that and say nothing of the sort.  Tell him "we're paying you a lot more than the 1st round pick, so if you want to start on week 1, you have to earn it,  from day 1"

Why not do it that way? 

8 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I disagree, 

4 years in the league may not mean much to you , but McD on the other hand understands how this business works If you want good chemistry between veteran players and rookies who don't know squat about playing in the NFL in my humble opinion.

with all due respect sir

Edited by Figster