Mason Rudolph...Big, accurate, mobile.strong

6 hours ago, Bustersit said:

Why is this guy not ranked higher on the mock drafts?  I don't watch a ton of college football but his numbers are sick.  My high level "you tube scouting" that I do everytime this year, tells me nothing.  BUT seriously the dude looks amazing.  Passer rating, TDs, pick ratio and his hair is sweet too.

What is his knock or downfall?  Help me understand

velocity for starters and the ability to read a pro style defense and to run any plays that will be in a pro system. I loved watching them play AND I don't think it's fair to JUST say that other OKST QB's so he can't play  but he is definitely swimming upstream to be a top flight NFL QB. 

Edited by MOVALLEYRANDY

17 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/mason-rudolph-1.html

He has good size and good football smarts. I like how he has gotten better every year as well. Hilarious how many 'experts' around here just write off a guy who had one the best college careers ever. I guess when you are so used to good qb play it makes you cynical.

You know who else had one of the greatest college careers ever? Timmy Chang. Google it...

11 hours ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

You know who else had one of the greatest college careers ever? Timmy Chang. Google it...

Good one. He only completed 57% of his passes though, that's why he never made it in the pros.B-)

16 hours ago, sven233 said:

Watched every game of his this season.  Throws a nice deep ball and...................

Well, that's pretty much it.  He misses easy throws.  Plays in a gimmick offense.  Average arm at best.  2nd to 3rd round pick at the earliest.

What makes his offense a "gimmick" offense?  I keep reading that, but I don't ever see an explanation.  

Every game that I watch shows him throwing plenty of deep and intermediate passes.  He doesn't live off of bubble screens and other one-read quick passes behind or just past the line of scrimmage.

I honestly can't see what makes him supposedly a worse prospect than the top guys.  I guess it must be that he doesn't have a flashy "calling card" trait like Allen's arm-strength, Rosen's pretty passes, Darnold's flashes of brilliance and Jackson's outstanding running ability. 

I will also say that I have watched all of the game cut-ups of Mike White that I can find and, other than him being a tad slow footed and playing at a lower-level of competition, I don't understand why he isn't rated higher.

15 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

What makes his offense a "gimmick" offense?  I keep reading that, but I don't ever see an explanation.  

Every game that I watch shows him throwing plenty of deep and intermediate passes.  He doesn't live off of bubble screens and other one-read quick passes behind or just past the line of scrimmage.

I honestly can't see what makes him supposedly a worse prospect than the top guys.  I guess it must be that he doesn't have a flashy "calling card" trait like Allen's arm-strength, Rosen's pretty passes, Darnold's flashes of brilliance and Jackson's outstanding running ability. 

I will also say that I have watched all of the game cut-ups of Mike White that I can find and, other than him being a tad slow footed and playing at a lower-level of competition, I don't understand why he isn't rated higher.

I think M. White is going to be good.  Same with L. Falk.  They will go in round 2-3.   If we miss out on Rosen/Mayfield, I'd go defense in first round then grab one of them.  

Rudolph from what I gather is knocked b/c he didn't play under center.  But I believe he is capable of multiple reads and the offense he ran was complex.  He may break the stereotype of QB's from his system.  

41 minutes ago, simool said:

Mason Rudolph fraud.

Maybe we could arrange to exclusively play big 12 defenses next season.  Then we can draft Mayfield and Rudolph.

Super Bowl!

Aren't those the defenses that Baker Mayfield played against as well?

I don't thing the PAC 10 defenses that Rosen and Darnold played against were particularly stout, either.