Would going into 2018 with Peterman & top rookie be that bad?

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Thanks. 

I don't get it at all. This seems reckless.  I expected a little patience, recognition that there a building process going n I. And also recognition that some QB might grow into a real stsr, like Cousins, Keenum or Foles.  

This seems like a crap shoot on an untested rookie. 

The only other explanation is that McD really likes Peterman and that his one NFL outing was aberrational.  Maybe McD thinks Peterman will be as good as McCarron, which is the bare minimum the Bills need. 

Or.... Since you are planning on drafting a top QB in the draft and expect him to play at some point this season why flush $10-15MM of your limited cap on a QB that is marginally better than what you already have on the roster?

Go get Bradford, McCarron, McCown, Bridgewater, Hoyer, etc. But if the list becomes Cutler, Siemian, and similar, why bother?

59 minutes ago, Cash said:

Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?

Hey, get your own line

7 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

So players get one half of football to prove themselves?

No one said that.  You said: " I don't want the Bills scraping the QB barrel and spending $10-15MM on whatever's left. Why not just roll with Nate Peterman and whoever we draft, with Joe Webb III your #3? The SD game aside, I thought NP was okay."

There are miles of difference between "you only get one half to prove yourself" and "you played a record-setting bad half of football and we'll put it aside when evaluating you"

51 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

that was silly the first time I read that posted.  

How did he play in relief in the Saints game? 

How did he play in relief in the NE game?  

How did he play in the blizzard in the Colts game?

Sorry, it's the OP that was silly.  Peterman played OK in the 4th Q of what some call "garbage time" vs NO and NE.  You don't have to define him by the 1st half of the Chargers game.  But you don't get to put it aside either.

12 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

There's a line somewhere between veteran presence and crap. When you start getting down to Trevor Siemian you are crossing it. 

Peterman makes Siemian look like Brady....

Peterman hasn't even shown he deserves a spot on the PS, yet there are some here who feel he deserves to start or compete to start right now?

1 minute ago, apuszczalowski said:

Peterman makes Siemian look like Brady....

Peterman hasn't even shown he deserves a spot on the PS, yet there are some here who feel he deserves to start or compete to start right now?

Based on one half of football?

Albeit one of the worst halves ever.

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

that was silly the first time I read that posted.  

How did he play in relief in the Saints game? 

How did he play in relief in the NE game?  

How did he play in the blizzard in the Colts game? 

blob.png.c83e61d62c28e78e9e71c57a0ad3c229.png

image.thumb.png.cde56053eaf783e139654c4966aafe6c.png

image.thumb.png.a7e5db71d7f99d2c09f3711aa536d8f1.png

the way he played in the saints game gave me the feeling that under normal circumstances, this kid could give us that type of performance week in and week out....which is far and away better than what we had with tyrod.. now with another off season and camp, he is gonna change some minds.

16 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Or.... Since you are planning on drafting a top QB in the draft and expect him to play at some point this season why flush $10-15MM of your limited cap on a QB that is marginally better than what you already have on the roster?

Go get Bradford, McCarron, McCown, Bridgewater, Hoyer, etc. But if the list becomes Cutler, Siemian, and similar, why bother?

The key words are “marginally better.” I don’t believe that any of those guys are “marginally better” than Peterman. They are WAY better (and that doesn’t mean that they are great). 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, billsredneck1 said:

the way he played in the saints game gave me the feeling that under normal circumstances, this kid could give us that type of performance week in and week out....which is far and away better than what we had with tyrod.. now with another off season and camp, he is gonna change some minds.

I don't want to dump on the kid, but let's not puff what he did into something it wasn't.   The score was 40-3 or something like that when Peterman came in.  That had direct bearing on how he looked.   N'Orleans wasn't exactly pinning their ears back and going at it full bore by then. I expect, if we looked at a QbQ snap count, we might see a few D starters were chatting on the sideline.  NE*** probably wasn't resting starters 'cuz that's not how Belicheat*** rolls, but they were also leading nicely in the 4th and not exerting their full vim and vigor, plus all year they were a "bend don't break" offense who gave up a lot of yards.

I hope Peterman develops greatly but going into the season with Peterman and a rookie, any rookie, would be a Very Bad Plan and I'd be very disappointed if that's what Beane does.  I do think they had 2 guys in mind and were outbid for what they targeted.  I just hope they have a plan C.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

Against a vanilla defense down 30 something points showed you that he could be an above average NFL starter?

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Against a vanilla defense down 30 something points showed you that he could be an above average NFL starter?

so if tyrod would have still been in the game, that defense would have still had all their starters trying to contain him from mounting a comeback?....and why was tyrod not still in the game?

after holding tyrod to 56 yds. after almost 4qtrs. they decided...hey nate's in, let's let him do good and put on a nice scoring drive! i get it now:rolleyes:

14 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The key words are “marginally better.” I don’t believe that any of those guys are “marginally better” than Peterman. They are WAY better (and that doesn’t mean that they are great). 

Here's who's left:

Jay Cutler

Drew Stanton

Chad Henne

Matt Cassel

Derek Anderson

Mark Sanchez

Matt Moore

Scott Tolzien

Geno Smith

Kellen Clemens

Tyler Bray

Joe Webb

Josh Johnson

Blaine Gabbert

Austin Davis

E.J. Manuel

Brock Osweiler

Brandon Weeden

T.J. Yates

Matt Barkley

Tom Savage

A.J. McCarron

After Moore and McCarron, who's worth $10-15MM?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

It's really a question of how much of a chance the GM and coach want to take.  Not having a veteran QB in the fold who has actually played a reasonable number of meaningful regular season snaps is taking a huge risk that Peterman or a highly drafted rookie can actually win games and look OK doing it.  Since they will have never done it at the pro level, you can't really know that they can.  If that's all you have come September, and they don't look good, you know the fan base is going to crucify McBeane.  If the fan base is sufficiently upset, the owner is going to notice, and he won't like it.  If the owner is upset, the leash around the neck of the GM and head coach gets much shorter and tighter, and eventually heads will roll.  I don't suspect that's something Beane and McDermott really want to happen.

1 minute ago, TigerJ said:

It's really a question of how much of a chance the GM and coach want to take.  Not having a veteran QB in the fold who has actually played a reasonable number of meaningful regular season snaps is taking a huge risk that Peterman or a highly drafted rookie can actually win games and look OK doing it.  Since they will have never done it at the pro level, you can't really know that they can.  If that's all you have come September, and they don't look good, you know the fan base is going to crucify McBeane.  If the fan base is sufficiently upset, the owner is going to notice, and he won't like it.  If the owner is upset, the leash around the neck of the GM and head coach gets much shorter and tighter, and eventually heads will roll.  I don't suspect that's something Beane and McDermott really want to happen.

Crucify? Seriously? Even if the Bills get, say, Josh Rosen? 

9 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

so if tyrod would have still been in the game, that defense would have still had all their starters trying to contain him from mounting a comeback?....and why was tyrod not still in the game?

after holding tyrod to 56 yds. after almost 4qtrs. they decided...hey nate's in, let's let him do good and put on a nice scoring drive! i get it now:rolleyes:

No, when a team is up 30 something points late they play their reserves and vanilla defense trying to avoid injuries. Is that news to you? It happens a lot. 

Peterman started two games, not one.  One was as bad as bad can be, but the other was pretty good football under horrible conditions.

We still need a vet, for sure, but just remember that Peterman started two games.

8 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Here's who's left:

Jay Cutler

Drew Stanton

Chad Henne

Matt Cassel

Derek Anderson

Mark Sanchez

Matt Moore

Scott Tolzien

Geno Smith

Kellen Clemens

Tyler Bray

Joe Webb

Josh Johnson

Blaine Gabbert

Austin Davis

E.J. Manuel

Brock Osweiler

Brandon Weeden

T.J. Yates

Matt Barkley

Tom Savage

A.J. McCarron

After Moore and McCarron, who's worth $10-15MM?

No one, but why pay $10-$15M on any bridge guy? That was the point all along. Get Siemian for $1.5M or whatever and your rookie.