So are we the only team left in the Foles market?

4 minutes ago, 947 said:

Eagles rejected a 2nd when there were 5+ teams that needed a vet QB. My point is that is just became a buyers' market in the past 2 hours.

I doubt it works like that. They have a value worth of a 1 and a 3. They'll just wait. They cut a player and restructured a contract to get near the cap. They can hold Foles into the season like they did with Bradford and get a 1st and more for him.

7 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

I doubt the Eagles think they'll take a decreased value. They held Bradford until they got their price.

Like the discussion above... the market changed.  Bridgewater injury just before the start of season made Vikings desperate and pay more for Bradford than anyone else would have... market may have changed in the other direction them now as OP is pointing out.  They're probably better off waiting to see how Wentz progresses and who will get injured in pre-season before trading Foles.

However, I think that a trade for Foles is an 'OR' proposition with continuing to trade up at this stage.  Foles becomes your QB if you make the trade, not a bridge.  Its also not a crazy idea. If the market's changed and he could be had now for a 2nd and we can spend all those pics on all our needs, that's certainly an alternative approach.  If he's really blossomed into the guy we just saw in the SB, then that would be a no-brainer to me.

Edited by cage

1 minute ago, cage said:

Like to discussion above... the market changed.  Bridgewater injury just before the start of season made Vikings desperate and pay more for Bradford than anyone else would have... market may have changed in the other direction them now as OP is pointing out.

However, I think that a trade for Foles is a OR proposition with continuing to trade up.  Foles becomes your QB if you make the trade, not a bridge.  Its also not a crazy idea. If the market's changed and he could be had now for a 2nd and we can spend all those pics on all our needs, that's certainly an alternative approach.  If he's really blossomed into the guy we just saw in the SB, then that would be a no-brainer to me.

I don't agree the market changes for his value. I think it'll take more than a 2nd.

15 minutes ago, 947 said:

Seems like everybody else has signed a QB, and almost all the bridge QBs are now taken. Are we the last team that could want Foles?

Pretty sure the Eagles have to get his contract off their books. If we're the only bidder, I could see a 3rd getting it done.

Pretty sure they don't...at least not today.  As the phrase goes, trading him is neither necessary nor sufficient.

They do need to make 2 contract moves in the next 24 hrs, though.

With MIN (Cousins), DEN (Keenum), ARZ (Bradford), likely the NYJ (Bridewater) signing QBs, and the Bills holding picks to trade up where is the market for Foles?  I don't see a team for him at this point. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

The notion that the market has changed for Foles, might be correct in terms of buyers, but it hasn't changed any in terms of the vendor. And it takes both sides to make a deal.

I'm not sure any self-respecting GM is going to be in a big hurry to trade his backup QB, who just brought home his franchise's first Lombardi. And especially when he doesn't have to.

I'd also say that irrespective of any prognosis as regards Wentz being healthy, it would be pretty darn premature to be trading the backup, before you know he's going to be able to go through TC etc.

14 minutes ago, cage said:

Like the discussion above... the market changed.  Bridgewater injury just before the start of season made Vikings desperate and pay more for Bradford than anyone else would have... market may have changed in the other direction them now as OP is pointing out.  They're probably better off waiting to see how Wentz progresses and who will get injured in pre-season before trading Foles.

However, I think that a trade for Foles is an 'OR' proposition with continuing to trade up at this stage.  Foles becomes your QB if you make the trade, not a bridge.  Its also not a crazy idea. If the market's changed and he could be had now for a 2nd and we can spend all those pics on all our needs, that's certainly an alternative approach.  If he's really blossomed into the guy we just saw in the SB, then that would be a no-brainer to me.

I doubt McBeane went to all these amazing off season gymnastics to settle on a retread QB with one good season and one great performance to his name. Stay with the process and get our franchise QB at long last.

My recollection is that Foles was a helpful contributor to the Eagles this past season in his backup role. I don't see why they wouldn't keep him given their firm desire to go back to back. They are not playing for the future.

38 minutes ago, 947 said:

Seems like everybody else has signed a QB, and almost all the bridge QBs are now taken. Are we the last team that could want Foles?

Pretty sure the Eagles have to get his contract off their books. If we're the only bidder, I could see a 3rd getting it done.

All the bridge qbs are taken -- until someone gets injured. Which will happen.

Wentz is projected to be ready by the beginning of the season but may not.  Foles is also a hero in Philly now.  He'll be VERY cheap to keep as a backup after 2018, unless they feel obligated to do right by him and give him a chance to start somewhere.  Even then, they aren't going to lower their price just because fewer team are bidding.  The alternative to not trading him is potentially having the best backup in the league, for a guy coming off a torn ACL, and both combine for a very reasonable QB salary cap number.

Some people have the wrong narrative.  Foles is absolutely available to anyone who meets Philly's price. That does not mean Philly NEEDs to trade him.

Edited by Chuck Wagon