Veteran QB: It all comes down to FOLES / MCCARRON!

Nope.  If the Bills are trading into the top 5, say pick 3.  Forget Foles, McCarron.  The latter is still young enough to play for 10 years.  The former has too much demand from the Eagles surrounding him.  So why waste the cap space on them?  Just get a vet that can serve as a mentor and understand that he's not going to be starting long, if at all.

23 minutes ago, billieve420 said:

Teams with open QB positions are drying up. I would offer 1 yr deals to both McCarron or McCown telling them they would have a chance to win the starting job in training camp. McCarron gets a shot to set himself up for a big pay day if he plays well either from the Bills or another team. This allows us to not rush a rookie QB out on the field too soon.

Who cares about rushing the rookie on the field at this point?

Unless it's Jackson or Allen, let Mayfield/Darnold/Rosen start day 1 and take their lumps.  It's what QBs do nowadays.  KC last year was an anomaly. High 1st round rookie QBs don't need this time on the bench anymore and we can use the money we save from not spending a lot of money on McCown or McCarron on other positions like OL to strengthen the team and surround our young QB with more talent to succeed.

1 hour ago, Domdab99 said:

Very happy the Bills didn't reach for Keenum/Bridgewater/Bradford/Cousins... if we're trading up to get a QB stud, all we need is a bridge like McCarron or McCown or even Moore. I like what they're doing.

Remember, if any of these so-called great FAs out there were actually great, they wouldn't be available!

It’s not so much that they’re great, it’s that they are the bridge QBs best able to keep you competitive while your star rookie bakes until ready.

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

It’s not so much that they’re great, it’s that they are the bridge QBs best able to keep you competitive while your star rookie bakes until ready.

Yeah, but I don't think we should be paying $16M a year for a bridge. 

Why is everyone so obsessed over a bridge QB who may never even play a snap as a starter for the Bills?

I mean who cares...might as well just let Nate Pickerman go out there until the rookie is ready, assuming the rookie didn't just win the job outright in preseason.  The bridge guy is completely meaningless...all that matters is our rookie.  

Anyone in tier 3 is fine...in fact, the cheaper the better.  Why tie up cap space with a pricey backup...just get some guy in here to battle our rookie and NP to start week 1.  Odds are the rookie will win the job anyway, and if not just start JAG QB or NP a short period until the rook takes over.

The thing with Foles - I think his trade value is diminished.  Maybe that "more than a 1st & a 4th" stance has softened up.

Maybe you go with McCarron & a rookie + Peterman if Foles is still requiring too much draft capital.

The trouble with the draft right now is you still have to package a lot to get one of those big names I think...  I suspect the Bills will be waiting to pull the trigger on a trade up.  I bet they have 1a and 1b on their board - if one of them go, they start really making a push - but it'll be a dog fight I think, albeit one where we have the most draft capital in 2018 to do it.

12 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

Yeah, but I don't think we should be paying $16M a year for a bridge. 

I understand that feeling, but it's what the market will bear at the present time. With the rookie wage scale and what star QB draft picks command, it's still commensurate with what a mediocre starting and decent backup make, anyway. 

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

I am trying to figure out why we wouldnt want McNown.....

- Its short term

- he is not gonna get this crazy money

- he played well till his injury last year

How about, he's not very good and we're trying to win.

14 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Why is everyone so obsessed over a bridge QB who may never even play a snap as a starter for the Bills?

I mean who cares...might as well just let Nate Pickerman go out there until the rookie is ready, assuming the rookie didn't just win the job outright in preseason.  The bridge guy is completely meaningless...all that matters is our rookie.  

Anyone in tier 3 is fine...in fact, the cheaper the better.  Why tie up cap space with a pricey backup...just get some guy in here to battle our rookie and NP to start week 1.  Odds are the rookie will win the job anyway, and if not just start JAG QB or NP a short period until the rook takes over.

I kind of agree. I'm fine with Peterman going in as the starter next year. 

2 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

How about, he's not very good and we're trying to win.

No we're not. Beane and Mac have made it clear that they are building a long-term team. Next year will most likely not be a playoff year. I mean, if everything breaks right for the Bills, and their rookie QB is good right away - and we get a No. 1 WR - and we get a play-making ILB - whew - then MAYBE we can make the playoffs.