Charles Robinson: Bills Looking to Move into the Top Five - Deal Could Take Place at Owners' Meetings

I hope they are. 

Otherwise itll really suck if they miss out on the top 3 QBs in this draft as well as seemingly already missing out on all of the decent free agent QBs, and not even having Tyrod as a placeholder option anymore. 

If the QB draft class looked better next year I wouldn't be as worried because I'd say "hey, maybe we'll get a high pick next year and get our QB then". But the QB class looks like garbage outside of (basically) 1 guy, so.... 

Yeah, it's looking more and more like they have no choice but to go all in on a QB in the draft this year. 

#1 Cleveland, #2 NY Giants, #3 Indy, #4 Cleveland, #5 Denver, #6 NY Jets. All want a QB and Buffalo may need to go up to #2,#3 to get one of the top three. 

Buffalo looks to be filling the holes on the team with free agent signings and still might need to sign a bridge QB. Most of the good ones are already gone. 

Buffalo may not need to go further than pick #5, if they are not sold on any of the four qbs as being head and shoulde above the others. The worst case scenario in this instance would likely  be Barkley at rb gets picked among the top 5, leaving three qbs before that 5th pick. Beane then has an easier qb choice to make, and can be blamed less if that quarterback fails.. However, if Beane definitely wants a certain qb, likely moving up at least to 2nd spot would be preferred, unless the GMs of Cleveland, Giants and Colts tell us of any of their specific quarterback plans. Unlikely. I think pick #3 would very likely give Buffalo one of their top rated 2 qbs prospects..

32 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

It's interesting they say top 5. If we wanted Rosen or Darnold that wouldn't be enough. This makes me wonder if Mayfield is the real target. The only QB I haven't seen us tied to.

We've been tied to every single one of those rookies at one time or another.  Depending on which media talking head you listen to or read.  It's like throwing darts at a dart board.

All smoke and mirrors at this point.  Smoke and mirrors...

36 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

It's interesting they say top 5. If we wanted Rosen or Darnold that wouldn't be enough. This makes me wonder if Mayfield is the real target. The only QB I haven't seen us tied to.

Not necessarily true.  It depends how the board shakes out.  Barkley could be the top pick which means it entirely possible that the Bills could have their 2nd choice at QB.

Getting up to 3 is as good as being at 2.  Cleveland won't trade out of 1, and if they take Barkley at 1, nobody will be able and/or willing to jump ahead of us except the Jets and I highly doubt Giants do a high profile deal like that with Jets if we offer something similar.  In my opinion, getting up to 3 almost guarantees us one of the top 2 QB's.  

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Thats not exactly true though.  Darnold nor Rosen are locks as first QB's off the board.  In fact, Allen may go #1 overall if Cleveland really loves Allen thats being reported.  

Darnold may even go as low as the 4th QB taken if Cleveland is set on Allen. I assure you Darnold is not ahead of every QB on every teams board...comes down to which team has which guys at the top of their board.  

Could easily go

1 Cle -Barkley

At 2 and 3, a QB will likely only be chosen if a team moves up to that spot, Giants and Colts aren't taking a QB IMO. Trade candidates are Bills, Broncos, and Jets.  Lets assume Jets since Broncos just signed Keenum and might be more comfortable staying at 5.

2 - Jets (trade up with Giants) - Rosen

3 - Bills (trade up with Colts) - Mayfield

4 - Browns - Allen

5 - Broncos - Darnold

All that matters is to who the top QB is on each teams board.  And these QB's are all ranked very differently from each team, and I promise there are teams that have Rosen or Baker or Allen ahead of Darnold, and maybe even teams that have all 3 ahead of him.  Just like there are teams who will have Darnold as the top guy on their board.  

Plus this reporter is saying top 5, meaning we are tying to get in somewhere in there, doesn't mean we aren't trying to get #2.  Bills may like more than 1 guy, and weigh the cost to get up there in position and will take the more affordable deal and be good grabbing which ever guy falls.  Bills have been linked to love everyone of the top QB's in this draft, I dont think what draft slot we end up is indicative of which one.  

For instance Giants may want a bounty more for 2 than Colts want for 3.  So Bills may just take 3 instead and be happy with either of QBs still on the board there.

I take it to mean they will be talking to the teams that hold the top five picks and exploring the possibility of making a deal with one of them.  Could be anywhere from 1 to 5 depending on what teams are entertaining serious offers and what they are asking.  Pick number 1 would be a top 5 pick, and they could get either of those QBs with it.

1 hour ago, Nihilarian said:

#1 Cleveland, #2 NY Giants, #3 Indy, #4 Cleveland, #5 Denver, #6 NY Jets. All want a QB and Buffalo may need to go up to #2,#3 to get one of the top three. 

Buffalo looks to be filling the holes on the team with free agent signings and still might need to sign a bridge QB. Most of the good ones are already gone. 

If all want a QB we must get to 3 at the minimum.   We don't need 2.  We just need 3 and we can let everything else work itself out.  We get to three and we are promised one of the top 3.  That's all that matters.  I have my preference but at the end of the day, I'd be satisfied with either Rosen, Darnold, or Mayfield.  Just get me one of them if you are trading up this far.  Anything else is a failure IMO.

I'm telling you, they are targeting Lamar Jackson. His pro day is going make his stock rise. Similar to Philip Rivers draft.

• Haha (+1) 2