Bridgewater to Sign with the Jets

MAJBobby

11 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Kirk Cousins is making $28 million per year. The Jets are paying $25 million for Bridgewater and McCown.

Two is better than one?  :unsure:

18 hours ago, whatdrought said:

How do you justify signing two free agents (granted, neither of them in high demand) and then drafting a top ten QB after your 2nd rounder never saw the field?  

What are they doing? 

I neither know nor care

The Jets ARE NOT drafting a QB.  Makes no sense.

They have McCown and Bridgewater already.  First off, to trade the house for 3 when you know atleast one possibly 2 QBs will be gone?

Lets say they get Rosen.  First year he is going to learn.  McCown was signed to be the bridge QB.  If he fails, they are going to have to see what they have in Bridgewater (they only have one year to do it). If he falls of the wagon, THEN you use Rosen.  So your going to trade all of that draft capital to move up for a player that probably won't see the field on a do or die year for HC and GM?

Bridgewater is their possible future QB.  He is the guy who, if McCown falls on his face, comes in to see if he is the real deal.  He is only 25, and is years ahead experience wise over Rosen, Allen, or Mayfield.

For me, the Jets are comfy at 3 cuz they know the first two picks will 99% be QB's.  They then have Barkley fall in their lap.  Their future includes Barkley, and maybe Bridgewater.  

2 minutes ago, dezertbill said:

They have McCown and Bridgewater already.  First off, to trade the house for 3 when you know atleast one possibly 2 QBs will be gone?

Lets say they get Rosen.  First year he is going to learn.  McCown was signed to be the bridge QB.  If he fails, they are going to have to see what they have in Bridgewater (they only have one year to do it). If he falls of the wagon, THEN you use Rosen.  So your going to trade all of that draft capital to move up for a player that probably won't see the field on a do or die year for HC and GM?

Bridgewater is their possible future QB.  He is the guy who, if McCown falls on his face, comes in to see if he is the real deal.  He is only 25, and is years ahead experience wise over Rosen, Allen, or Mayfield.

For me, the Jets are comfy at 3 cuz they know the first two picks will 99% be QB's.  They then have Barkley fall in their lap.  Their future includes Barkley, and maybe Bridgewater.  

The most certainly are as both McCown and Bridgewater are on one year deals.

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I can't believe how much they are paying McCown & Teddy and now they moved for a QB - terrible cap management...awful waste of resources...

Just now, Reed83HOF said:

I can't believe how much they are paying McCown & Teddy and now they moved for a QB - terrible cap management...awful waste of resources...

TBW has a just a $500K guarantee. They could easily walk away from him at anytime.

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

But why sign Bridgewater then?  You have McCown , Petty and Hackenburg.  If you draft a QB at 3 then you have to plan at some point you want him to see the field the first year.  

I believe they see Bridgewater as a guy that may be their QB of the future.  He is only signed for a 1 year deal in case it doesn't work out.  They can then get into the QB sweepstakes next year or trade for a veteran.  

There are non-QB players in this draft that some are saying are the best talent available.  If you can get your top guy on the board at 3?  That's a steal.

Just now, dezertbill said:

But why sign Bridgewater then?  You have McCown , Petty and Hackenburg.  If you draft a QB at 3 then you have to plan at some point you want him to see the field the first year.  

I believe they see Bridgewater as a guy that may be their QB of the future.  He is only signed for a 1 year deal in case it doesn't work out.  They can then get into the QB sweepstakes next year or trade for a veteran.  

There are non-QB players in this draft that some are saying are the best talent available.  If you can get your top guy on the board at 3?  That's a steal.

Bridgewater will compete in camp but if the Jet's want to get rid of him (for any reason) it costs nothing to move on.

It was a great signing for the Jet's.  This has nothing to do about the Jet's and drafting a QB.

13 minutes ago, dezertbill said:

You Are Correct Sir! Look at their RB's, not for too long.. yuck. A franchise QB can change a team for sure. A workhorse RB with Barkleys pedigree can do the same but quicker. Not as big of a learning curve for the RB.  I assure you, Teddy and McCown can manage handing the ball to this dude. Why waste 15$ mil on a mentor QB coming off a career season and a young promising QB who was cut down by injury during development, if they're going to be clip holders for the future?

I don't buy it. Can't piss off the roof and tell me it's raining. Plain as day to see that securing 3rd pick can potentially screw us and they get the next AP. Win/Win for the Jets.

What they don't realize is pending how things shake out, our guy may be there at 12. Who knows?

Seems to me we want Lamar Jackson and at 12 IMO, that's good value.

Edited by Eric Moulds on my A**

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

TBW has a just a $500K guarantee. They could easily walk away from him at anytime.

I'm on the side of it being a smart investment. We've seen the trade market for a QB when a starter goes down with Bradford. With minimal commitment, you've got either a capable backup/bridge guy or someone with starting experience that might tempt a team if they lose their guy over the preseason.

3 minutes ago, dezertbill said:

Petty and hack are done.  McCown is 39 years old and TBW is there on a nothing contract.  They don't know who they'll be drafting in the #3 slot, but why not take a flyer on TBW while both he and the rookie learn from McCown. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Petty and hack are done.  McCown is 39 years old and TBW is there on a nothing contract.  They don't know who they'll be drafting in the #3 slot, but why not take a flyer on TBW while both he and the rookie learn from McCown. 

You really think Hack is done? He was drafted pretty high, you'd think they would roll him out a few more times. Of course, it's the Jets, but still. 

5 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

We'lll agree to disagree.

I see the Jets trading to 3 cuz they know they have other non-QB players that can be franchise altering available cuz everyone is stuck on finding their next franchise QB.

I also believe they see Bridgewater as their possible long term solution at only 25.  They just want to make sure his knee checks out. That's not to mention what they may see in Petty or Hack.   I think it's a really smart play for the Jets, and It also forces the Bills to move up to 1 or 2 for their QB, which ensures them even more that they will get a non-QB talent at 3.

Edited by dezertbill
  • Like (+1) 1