Bridgewater to Sign with the Jets

MAJBobby

20 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Would Darnold be ready in his rookie year?

I feel Mayfield would be but don't know too much about Darnold.

I don’t think so. I said (and still say) that Darnold needed another year at USC. 

I think if he sat behind a guy like McCown that he’d be better for it. 

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

He would make a whole lot of sense to be a mentor to a rookie QB. He seems like he'd embrace it and fill that role very well. 

Didn't seem to be good enough for the Jets and their young QBs...

30 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Yeah it's becoming clear that our plan is to start the rookie sooner rather than later. That makes me think Josh Allen is out of the running, thank god.

I think with the most recent move up and trading Taylor they are going after someone they feel can start day 1 and not sit.

40 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Let's not forget the "we're trying to win AND rebuild" part. I can't see McDermott going with a guy he doesn't think he can win with.

If you're drafting a kid in the top 5 I'm guessing you prefer him to start right away.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

Statistically, only one or two of these quarterbacks will pan out. If we lose in the horse trading and don't get our guy, will it bring a smile to your face when you realize you have to watch Josh McCown for the next season or two and suck out 8-8? 

Just remember, as pretty as these kids look in shorts throwing at air, only one, possibly NONE of them are going to be franchise .

It doesn’t matter if we get it wrong. You could be 8-8 with McCown, McCarron, Bradford, etc... The guy that could make a difference is the guy that you are drafting. Obviously they have to get it right and they are going to use a huge amount of draft capital to get the guy. We just dumped a guy that was 23-20 (or something like that). The Bills aren’t dying to get a guy that can replicate that. The future of the position for this team is going to be Rosen, Mayfield, Darnold, Allen or Jackson. Some of them will work and some won’t. 

Just now, Gunsgoodtime said:

Sadly I'm getting to this point as well.  Maybe should have kept him 1 more year

I thought for sure that they had something other than trading up the draft board for a better lottery ticket as a plan once they traded Tyrod.  This is questionable manuevering by Beane IMO - I'll let it shake out, but the solid Veteran options are just about dried up and now we've got Nate Peter...man what the hell are you doing?!!!! and Joe Webb on the roster and in a desperate situation to get another QB through a trade and/or draft. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It doesn’t matter if we get it wrong. You could be 8-8 with McCown, McCarron, Bradford, etc... The guy that could make a difference is the guy that you are drafting. Obviously they have to get it right and they are going to use a huge amount of draft capital to get the guy. We just dumped a guy that was 23-20 (or something like that). The Bills aren’t dying to get a guy that can replicate that. The future of the position for this team is going to be Rosen, Mayfield, Darnold, Allen or Jackson. Some of them will work and some won’t. 

They are staking their jobs on this, and they have a specific QB they want. They wouldn't be doing this if they didn't think the guy they are going for is the real deal. If they get this wrong, it sets the franchise back, a lot. They have traded away a lot of assetts to get to the point they are at now, and will be dealing more to move up again. If they didn't feel their guy could start right away, they wouldn't be left standing around with Peterman as their only option on the roster and digging through the sloppy seconds of the FA market. If they get someone who needs time to develop and don't have someone to start now, it will set them back.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Does a Bridgewater  NYJ signing take the Jets out of the QB Draft picture?

I can make an argument for yes and no.

They could pick a non-QB at #6 and get a 2nd tier guy later.

What do you guys think?

It's pretty tough to say.  I mean if you are the Jets you probably tell Bridgewater man your injury it great that you fought back from that but we have to have insurance.  Maybe they go with a 2nd tier guy I dunno.

1 minute ago, NewEraBills said:

It's pretty tough to say.  I mean if you are the Jets you probably tell Bridgewater man your injury it great that you fought back from that but we have to have insurance.  Maybe they go with a 2nd tier guy I dunno.

One would have to think after Bridgewater the Jet's are not moving up.

Denver probably isn't moving up either.

Makes #4 a lot less risky for the Bills.

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

One would have to think after Bridgewater the Jet's are not moving up.

Denver probably isn't moving up either.

Makes #4 a lot less risky for the Bills.

Yeah I would think they wouldn't move up but you never know man.  Denver signed Keenum right?  They could move up because he's most likely a 1 year rental.  I think you still have to watch out for the Phins and Zona trying to move up but at this point, they can't offer what we can.  That move to 12 was very critical.

1 minute ago, NewEraBills said:

Yeah I would think they wouldn't move up but you never know man.  Denver signed Keenum right?  They could move up because he's most likely a 1 year rental.  I think you still have to watch out for the Phins and Zona trying to move up but at this point, they can't offer what we can.  That move to 12 was very critical.

2 year contract. 18 million per year I think.

16 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

They are staking their jobs on this, and they have a specific QB they want. They wouldn't be doing this if they didn't think the guy they are going for is the real deal. If they get this wrong, it sets the franchise back, a lot. They have traded away a lot of assetts to get to the point they are at now, and will be dealing more to move up again. If they didn't feel their guy could start right away, they wouldn't be left standing around with Peterman as their only option on the roster and digging through the sloppy seconds of the FA market. If they get someone who needs time to develop and don't have someone to start now, it will set them back.

They started Peterman and benched Tyrod in the middle of the season - let's not call the Bills' brass genius.  That was a huge error in judgment - if they should have benched anyone at that time they should have started with the OL and Defense - even though Tyrod was not playing particularly well in the two games before he was benched.  So the Bills have and likely still do have a high opinion of Peterman - just let that sink in - and they are the guys looking for the franchise QB. 

I know these guys took the team to the playoffs - but let's not get too excited about a team that was playing well above its talent level, has a roster that continues to be gutted (starting LT and QB have been traded for pick/position) and squeaked in on an improbable 4th and forever TD by a team that was playing for nothing.  That Bills team last year wasn't that good and really they don't have a lot of young pieces to build around.  This team is not better without Glenn and Taylor - its worse and it will be unlikely that they even sniff the playoffs this year.  Sure they saved some salary and they have picks - but those things don't win games - just ask the Browns.

I'm really surprised they are not trying to move Shady - they may be, but at this point the cost of his contract is probably making trade offers nearly worthless.

I'm just resigned to the fact that they are most likely going to get worse QB play in 2018 than they've had the past 3 years and Shady isn't going to be able to hold up as well because of age and mileage, and let's not even get started about the TEs and WRs.  Outside of Benjamin (who may have chronic knee problems) this team is not very talented at all at WR or TE.

Edited by Ayjent