Jets fans opinions on the trade up to #12

https://forums.jetnation.com/topic/136311-bills-trade-for-the-12th-pick/

Found it to be an interesting read.  Some think the Bills are setting themselves up for failure, others think we are smart.  I guess it's just weird to see fans of other teams looking at us as the smart ones instead of making moves that seem obviously foolish to everyone except the Bills front office.  I mean all our moves still have to work out, but having a seemingly competent front office in the modern NFL is definitely a change for most of us.

This was my favorite post:

With all due respect, my friend, the Bills have very consciously put themselves in position to make these moves through some very cagey and disciplined planning and forward thinking. The Jets are where they are because they’re a clown car packed with short-sighted meatheads. This is a situation where the Bills are likely going to be rewarded for their foresight. It’s not as simple as “the Bills got lucky.”

• Like (+1) 4

It's weird to get caught up in what the Jets or Dolphins fans think of us. I honestly have not cared about the Jets or Dolphins in the last 10 years or so, including their fluky first couple Rex Ryan years.

Of course they're huge divisional games, but I just can't find the energy to care about their fans or teams or anything about them.  Until he retires, beating Brady is everything and even if it's the wrong attitude, I just don't have an opinion on the other guys.

With all due respect, my friend, the Bills have very consciously put themselves in position to make these moves through some very cagey and disciplined planning and forward thinking.

Keep in mind that to get these picks, we passed up on Deshaun Watson and Patrick Mahomes last year. 

Watson looks stellar already and we'll find out soon enough on Mahomes. He has quite the collection of playmakers to work with. 

If our moves to get a QB in 2018 don't work out for whatever reason, and it is a very real possibility that they don't, we will look like the meatheads in the clown car. 

• Like (+1) 5

5 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

Keep in mind that to get these picks, we passed up on Deshaun Watson and Patrick Mahomes last year. 

Watson looks stellar already and we'll find out soon enough on Mahomes. He has quite the collection of playmakers to work with. 

If our moves to get a QB in 2018 don't work out for whatever reason, and it is a very real possibility that they don't, we will look like the meatheads in the clown car. 

I half agree ... and I say that admitting I wanted Mahomes at #10 last year, he was my favorite QB, this isn't revisionist history.  BUT, it was Whaley and his staff making the choice, with McDermetts input I'm sure.  McDermett probably wanted to punt on the QB choice until Beane and his staff were in place for a full year.  I feel much more comfortable this year with Beane and his staff in charge, and I'm sure McDermett does as well.

Edited by essential

7 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

With all due respect, my friend, the Bills have very consciously put themselves in position to make these moves through some very cagey and disciplined planning and forward thinking.

Mahomes maybe but Watson is already in his second ACL tear and may not have the success he had in year 1 once teams have tape on him. 

9 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

When all this is said and done there will be to be a thread that compares all the the 2018 moves with what we would have had in 2017 if we had stood pat and picked either Mahomes or Watson then.  We also would've have had Tradaveous White and Dion Dawkins w/o the trade back.

Edited by cage

11 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

I respectfully disagree.  If the moves don't work out, we'll look like we tried and failed.  The meatheads in the clown car are the ones who don't try.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Don't stop billievein said:

Mahomes maybe but Watson is already in his second ACL tear and may not have the success he had in year 1 once teams have tape on him. 

The injury concern is legitimate, very true. 

Will he drop off because of "tape"? Not so sure of that. He showed quickly that he has great poise, accuracy, anticipation and arm strength. 

2 minutes ago, Utah John said:

I respectfully disagree.  If the moves don't work out, we'll look like we tried and failed.  The meatheads in the clown car are the ones who don't try.

Trying is easy. The Browns have been trying for decades. Nobody is giving them a pass. 

This is a production based league. The moves you make have to equal wins. 

We are clearing cap space and expected to move a ton of draft capital to build around our "franchise QB".

If it doesn't work out, say goodbye to McD and McB. 

Edited by TheElectricCompany
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, essential said:

https://forums.jetnation.com/topic/136311-bills-trade-for-the-12th-pick/

Found it to be an interesting read.  Some think the Bills are setting themselves up for failure, others think we are smart.  I guess it's just weird to see fans of other teams looking at us as the smart ones instead of making moves that seem obviously foolish to everyone except the Bills front office.  I mean all our moves still have to work out, but having a seemingly competent front office in the modern NFL is definitely a change for most of us.

This was my favorite post:

Thank you for sharing that link I was entertained for the last 2 hours reading those reactions!

1 hour ago, cage said:

We also would've have had Tradaveous White and Dion Dawkins w/o the trade back.

Ultimately those two guys don't win you a Super Bowl.  Watson would.

I recall that most of this board last year was big on Deshaun Watson.  When our pick came up at 10 and he was there this board lit up.  Then we traded out...................

6 minutes ago, MarkyMannn said:

Ultimately those two guys don't win you a Super Bowl.  Watson would.

I recall that most of this board last year was big on Deshaun Watson.  When our pick came up at 10 and he was there this board lit up.  Then we traded out...................

bit early to declare Watson a sure thing yet.  4 games....

A comment that reflects my worries: 

"Yeah, but not by much.  I know the value chart isn' exact, but both of the Bills firsts (#12[1200]=#22[780])= #6[1600] + 380 points which is the 52nd pick (isn't that the Hackenberg pick?).  Our 2nd 2nd is #49 and worth 410."

2 hours ago, TheElectricCompany said:

or if we did draft Watson or Mahommes last year and put them in the SD game this past season instead of Peterman and they too bombed because the team around them couldn't support them we would look like meatheads in a clowncar just the same.

or maybe we don't trade that 1st rd pick last season we grab Mahommes or Watson and don't get Tre White and we miss the playoffs because our secondary missed out on 4 interceptions and numerous pass break ups.. I mean who knows right?

... If, If and buts were candy and nuts we would all have a Merry Christmas being meatheads in a clowncar on acid

Edited by ddaryl

2 hours ago, Don't stop billievein said:

Tell that to Alabama after he destroyed their NFL talent laden defense 2 years in a row.

19 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

or if we did draft Watson or Mahommes last year and put them in the SD game this past season instead of Peterman and they too bombed because the team around them couldn't support them we would look like meatheads in a clowncar just the same.

or maybe we don't trade that 1st rd pick last season we grab Mahommes or Watson and don't get Tre White and we miss the playoffs because our secondary missed out on 4 interceptions and numerous pass break ups.. I mean who knows right?

... If, If and buts were candy and nuts we would all have a Merry Christmas being meatheads in a clowncar on acid

This is about becoming a consistent championship contender. Talking about the events that allowed us to sneak into the postseason and put up 3 points isn't relevant.

We had a shot at some superb QB prospects and passed them up. Now it appears that we are going to give up a ton of currency to get a shot at another one. 

Time will tell which "process" was the correct one. 

Edited by TheElectricCompany