Sammy Watkins - I was wrong........

27 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

And exactly what should the Bills pay for TALENT?

Amazing that people here are patting themselves and management on the back for not paying a player the market price?  

How about if Buffalo tied up Watkins last year at a cap friendly price or franchised him?

Again a bunch of fanboys getting excited over the draft and not what happens on the field.......

Let's go 2025 Bills!!!!!!

why? to over pay for production?  between his numbers, and his attitude at the time, he wouldn't have been paid by the bills what he can get from the open market.  you keep acting as if sammy was elite.  he wasn't.  he's just being paid like one now by kc.  it still doesn't make him the best.  i hope for his sake he does well, but this could totally blow up in their faces.

if sammy has yet another average season, what will your excuse be then?

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Andy Reid will use Sammy. He’s going to get 8-10 targets a game. 

I dunno about that.

After Sammy was traded to the Rams, some vocal fans claimed that FINALLY he would go to a team that would use him appropriately and people were throwing around the 10 targets per game number.

He finished the year with around 4.

Last year, Travis Kelce averaged 7.5 targets per game, and Tyreek Hill averaged 6.5.  But you think Sammy is going to see 10 per game in KC with a QB making his first NFL starts?  Under please.

2 hours ago, teef said:

Why?  Because he was one of the ones screaming loudest against the trade. He even went as far as telling us that the reasons Watkins numbers weren’t  special was because Goff was a worse qb than tt, and that Goff was being coached not to throw to Sammy.   The bills did the right thing by trading Sammy and getting the 2nd. The people that won’t admit that they were wrong about criticizing the trade, are the same ones who are excited they guessed his contract correctly. Big !@#$ing deal. 

im not so sure it was the right thing.   We finally had our first playoff game and only needed 11 points Total to win, and our elite receiver who had developed great chemistry with Tyrod was gone to LA for a guy who played half the season on defense.  Maybe we get a great player with the Rams pick, and maybe we don't, but either way the fact is we missed having a game changing WR this season, and it very well may have cost us a playoff win. 

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Did he overvalue himself? He just got $16M a year!! 

Yeah he definitely did not overvalue himself.  KC needed some one that can peel the top off a defense for Mahomes.  Sammy can certainly do that. I cannot imagine it works out well in the end though from a stats perspective for Sammy or a cap perspective for KC.  When I found out Dorsey was leaving I gave KC two years before Reid had them in cap hell much like the Eagles. Looks like they are well on their way there.

• Haha (+1) 1

Sammy was 4th in the target pecking order in Las Angeles, behind the likes of Woods, Cooper Kupp, and Todd Gurley.  And you think he's really going to command more targets than Kelce and Hill?  At a certain point, people are going to have to finally accept that he isn't, was never, and will never be Julio Jones.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

im not so sure it was the right thing.   We finally had our first playoff game and only needed 11 points Total to win, and our elite receiver who had developed great chemistry with Tyrod was gone to LA for a guy who played half the season on defense.  Maybe we get a great player with the Rams pick, and maybe we don't, but either way the fact is we missed having a game changing WR this season, and it very well may have cost us a playoff win. 

Shhhhh.....  Some people here were disappointed with the playoffs as it cost the Bills position in the draft and set the franchise further back.

The idea to pay market value for marquee positions is upsetting to some.

The idea of 300 yard passing games and excitement on the offensive side of the ball is anethma to many here.

a stout defense & 13-10 wins is their idea of success.

2 minutes ago, simool said:

Yeah he definitely did not overvalue himself.  KC needed some one that can peel the top off a defense for Mahomes.  Sammy can certainly do that. I cannot imagine it works out well in the end though from a stats perspective for Sammy or a cap perspective for KC.  When I found out Dorsey was leaving I gave KC two years before Reid had them in cap hell much like the Eagles. Looks like they are well on their way there.

You may be right here. I think it will work on the field but at some point you Hunt, Hill, Kelce, Watkins, Mahomes, etc... That’s a lot of money to keep the offense together.

1 hour ago, P51 said:

Hard to do when your only targeted 70 times.

Well then KC better target him more than 70 times

You do realize that my quote was he better catch more than 100 per season for the money KC is paying him to be worth it...

37 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Shhhhh.....  Some people here were disappointed with the playoffs as it cost the Bills position in the draft and set the franchise further back.

The idea to pay market value for marquee positions is upsetting to some.

The idea of 300 yard passing games and excitement on the offensive side of the ball is anethma to many here.

a stout defense & 13-10 wins is their idea of success.

cmon,  even when Sammy was healthy Tyrod had trouble finding him.

rmbr when Sammy got upset at his number of targets?

Tyrod to Sammy worked a few times,  not enough to be game changing.    was it Sammys fault,  no it was on the QB.    but the revisionist history here makes me smh.

Sammy was tossed because he was unreliable,  and was going to want more money than he deserved at the time.     front office got what they could and moved on.   Sammy still needs to prove consistency over a period of time.

KC  overpayed for a receiver with his history and an ok rebound season with the Rams.   

theres alot going on with the NFL career of Sammy Watkins,  some good,  some bad,   some his fault,  some not.     is he a perennial 1000yrd 10 td guy?    no.   10mil/yr guaranteed for what hes done?   meh.

Edited by bigduke6

14 minutes ago, simool said:

What?  Hill is the guy that takes the top off the defense.  

Sammy may be fine there or he may not, but I think he will be the 4th target on KC like he was with the Rams.  

42 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

i understand this idea, but i just feel it's wishful thinking.  i still don't think sammy has show to be elite in any way.  he has the talent to be, but until his play backs that up, i just don't buy it.  he hasn't shown to be a guy to take over games, and i especially don't think he'd be that guy with taylor throwing to him.  that jax defense had this offense totally stifled.  i don't think having sammy here would have put them over the top at all.  i just remembered taylor being shut down too often.  the pick has value no matter who we take.

again, i think getting anything for sammy was a good deal.  i hope he does well in kc.

31 minutes ago, bigduke6 said:

cmon,  even when Sammy was healthy Tyrod had trouble finding him.

rmbr when Sammy got upset at his number of targets?

Tyrod to Sammy worked a few times,  not enough to be game changing.    was it Sammys fault,  no it was on the QB.    but the revisionist history here makes me smh.

Sammy was tossed because he was unreliable,  and was going to want more money than he deserved at the time.     front office got what they could and moved on.   Sammy still needs to prove consistency over a period of time.

KC  overpayed for a receiver with his history and an ok rebound season with the Rams.   

theres alot going on with the NFL career of Sammy Watkins,  some good,  some bad,   some his fault,  some not.     is he a perennial 1000yrd 10 td guy?    no.   10mil/yr guaranteed for what hes done?   meh.

1972 doesn't get it.  he still think sammy walks on water.

24 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

What?  Hill is the guy that takes the top off the defense.  

Sammy may be fine there or he may not, but I think he will be the 4th target on KC like he was with the Rams.  

Correct, although I think he may battle it out with Hunt for 3rd on their target list depending on how they elect to bring Mahomes along. Kelce/Hill will still be receiving the bulk of the work IMO.

2 hours ago, P51 said:

Hard to do when your only targeted 70 times.

Dude isn't dependable enough nor does he give enough effort on 50/50 balls or balls that require some adjustment and aggression to go get.  Physically talented guy - no doubt about it, but physical talent isn't all you need.  Good for Watkins for getting paid - I think it is great that these guys get paid well when they do - considering how much money is out there to have in the NFL.  It's only right that the ones putting themselves in harm's way get paid well, but if we are talking about a guy that you want your team to spend a good deal of its limited resources on, then Watkins isn't exactly they guy I'd be excited about.

I've seen enough of him to know he isn't an elite NFL reciever - he's okay, but Robert Woods is a better all around receiver that gives way more effort and is far more reliable as a target.  So the Rams saw that too and that is why Sammy is now on KC's roster.

4 minutes ago, teef said:

1972 doesn't get it.  he still think sammy walks on water.

$16,000,00/yr....   You pegged him at what $8,000,000.  

Market value was $16,000,000.  Again the point of the thread was a big f u to those saying $10,000,000 was preposterous.

Go back to your "Draft Board" and planning for 2025.