Sammy Watkins - I was wrong........

Sammy was my favorite Bill, but I find it funny that everyone is saying how it's going to be tough to double him with Tyreek on the other side when the guy played across from Goodwin and Tavon Austin, who are just as competent as long ball threats.

The key to managing Watkins is similar to the way Kelvin Benjamin has to be coached:  outside plays along the sidelines, no over the middle stuff.  Do what Martz did with Issac Bruce and Tory Holt--catch it and step out of bounds, save your body for the next play even though it means giving up some yards.   These guys are not durable, they're not Robert Woods or Baldwin, they aren't built for contact. 

Otherwise you'll be in the training room all year and play half the games if you're lucky.

Good luck covering them though.....  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Except the guy who started this thread isn't doing that and just admitted he was wrong.  So not sure why you are telling him this.

Why?  Because he was one of the ones screaming loudest against the trade. He even went as far as telling us that the reasons Watkins numbers weren’t  special was because Goff was a worse qb than tt, and that Goff was being coached not to throw to Sammy.   The bills did the right thing by trading Sammy and getting the 2nd. The people that won’t admit that they were wrong about criticizing the trade, are the same ones who are excited they guessed his contract correctly. Big !@#$ing deal. 

4 minutes ago, teef said:

Why?  Because he was one of the ones screaming loudest against the trade. He even went as far as telling us that the reasons Watkins numbers weren’t  special was because Goff was a worse qb than tt, and that Goff was being coached not to throw to Sammy.   The bills did the right thing by trading Sammy and getting the 2nd. The people that won’t admit that they were wrong about criticizing the trade, are the same ones who are excited they guessed his contract correctly. Big !@#$ing deal. 

Guess I am confused by his post then...I thought he was saying he was wrong about Sammy as if he was one of his detractors.

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Guess I am confused by his post then...I thought he was saying he was wrong about Sammy as if he was one of his detractors.

I don't think so.  But in fairness to you, the OP writes in a strange language.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

We moved up in the draft to select Watkins to give EJ a chance to succeed. Basically the same thing KC is trying to do for Mahommes using the same WR we spent draft picks on to move up and grab.

really you don't remember this ?

Just thought it was ironic that we grabbed Watkins then for the same reason KC is signing him now...

Lol my bad.  I thought you were, in a round about way, saying that it failed for us, why would it work for them.  My bad.

16 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Damn right.......  I was the first and was told I was dead wrong and had nop idea what I was talking about.

Now TBD is calling the trade to Rams a success, because a receiver get's paid?????  What backwards thinking is that?

You pay for talent and could have had Watkins last year and tied him up at a better price if the Management staff did think it through.

Now is the though process for the Bills to draft a QB and put no weapons around him?

Are you going to create multiple Watkins threads next season too?

10 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

oh no.  he was wildly upset by the trade.  i get it, but he was over the top.  

25 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Damn right.......  I was the first and was told I was dead wrong and had nop idea what I was talking about.

Now TBD is calling the trade to Rams a success, because a receiver get's paid?????  What backwards thinking is that?

You pay for talent and could have had Watkins last year and tied him up at a better price if the Management staff did think it through.

Now is the though process for the Bills to draft a QB and put no weapons around him?

do you not understand?  sammy would have hit the open market, and do you really think the bills would have signed watkins, a guy who they were already lukewarm on, and didn't have great numbers, that kind of contract?  they were able to get a 2nd for christ's sakes!  well worth the trade.  don't get me wrong...i'm glad for sammy.  he doesn't have to worry about money anymore.  

5 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think wildly is an understatement.

he may have been the worst.  i don't know why sammy getting a shockingly big contract proves anything for people.  what if his numbers are average again next year?  what excuses then.  i think there's scenario where watkins can put up big numbers, but i'm not sure kc is it.

1 minute ago, teef said:

do you not understand?  sammy would have hit the open market, and do you really think the bills would have signed watkins, a guy who they were already lukewarm on, and didn't have great numbers, that kind of contract?  they were able to get a 2nd for christ's sakes!  well worth the trade.  don't get me wrong...i'm glad for sammy.  he doesn't have to worry about money anymore.  

You know if the Bills play the Chiefs in the playoffs....he's rooting for the Chiefs.

56 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

Didn't we spend lots of collateral to set up EJ Manual to succeed. How that work out

Guess KC is going to see what they have in Mahommes.....  It is really all on his shoulders now

check your spelling manual ......))

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, teef said:

where sammy goes, 1972 goes.

And exactly what should the Bills pay for TALENT?

Amazing that people here are patting themselves and management on the back for not paying a player the market price?  

How about if Buffalo tied up Watkins last year at a cap friendly price or franchised him?

Again a bunch of fanboys getting excited over the draft and not what happens on the field.......

Let's go 2025 Bills!!!!!!