Bills Re-Sign Kyle Williams To One Year Deal

dgr81

4 minutes ago, Logic said:

Love it. People can talk about his reduced production as he ages, but you can't put a pricetag on the leadership and spark he provides.

Also, with Star playing NT, it will free Kyle up to do what he does best: explode off the ball and knife into the backfield.

I hope the Bills draft a penetrating DT fairly high that Kyle can groom to be his successor. Additionally, we can give some of Kyle's snaps to said rookie in an effort to keep the old vet fresh for the 4th quarter.

Great day for the Bills' interior defense!

Exactly what I was thinking. I am happy to not have another hole. Kyle works best as a single gapping charger. If we gets double teams, he is not nearly as effective.

As much as I love the guy, this should be his last year with us, and like you said, we definitely should look for someone to take the reins.

Nice! I love watching Kyle play at the Ralph. I don’t know much about Star but I’m hoping these two moves go a long way in helping the interior line.

Beane sure keeps busy. Whether it works or not, I like that this team has a plan that seems coherent. It’s been a while since we could say that. 

8 minutes ago, Spiderweb said:

I'm not a fan of Star. From what I've read on him the past couple months, he"s not the same guy he was when he first came into the league. I SURE hope he's not getting some huge contract that will tie the Bills up for years.... With that said, it will be nice to see someone else take on the double teams other than Kyle....

Word outta Charlotte is that Lotulelei isn't an 'all football, all the time' type guy...he's got interests and motivations outside the game. He's a damn good player but from what I understand there were questions, especially the last two seasons, about whether or not his heart was really into it. 

Context RE Williams, who's the consummate heart guy...maybe they think he'll rub off on Lotulelei, who hasn't had a veteran presence like Williams on the d line before, previously it was all him and Short and they were both young.  

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

Seriously, becasue I think Kyles career is coming to an end and he is not affective anymore Im not a character guy.

Do you have anything besides guesses to back up your statements?

Great move.  The Bills have plenty of holes, so the more they can fill in free agency or avoid creating by re-signing one of their own, the less pressure to fill them all in the draft.  If, as it appears, they're interested in moving up to a top three spot in the draft, it's going to take a couple more draft picks at least, including #22.  The more solid veterans that can be plugged in, the less critical it will be to hold on to all the draft picks.

46 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

So I'm not allowed to have an opinion about a player who was the leader on our d-line that was abysmal last year?

Ah yes, now being called stupid. This is fun.

Apparently not. If you don't agree with the majority, you're an idiot.

Kyle Williams is a huge part of this defense, that is getting paid wayyyyyyyy too much. 6 million is ridiculous. When I heard we had re-signed him, I imagined no more than 3 million. What happened to a team friendly deal to keep him around and retire a bill.  Guess he needed another in ground pool. 

That being said, welcome back meatball

Edited by Bruce_Stools

20 minutes ago, Gugny said:

This should win you an award of some sort.  I've never seen a more asinine analogy in my entire life and I pray that you never procreate.  Bless you, my son.

Sir, you literally asked if an employer took into account accolades received and past performance when setting compensation. 

5 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

Eh the last few years it has.

Kyle Williams was underrated during his prime, he is well past that.

He was good, damn good, and never made a peep.

He's long in the tooth now and not as effective as he used to be. I think he is overrated by many here. 

Hes back, that's fine, I don't think he is worth it, and I don't think having him as one of your top two DT's is a good idea. 

I think the Star signing and the timing of it is why this makes sense.  Kyle has been asked to do things beyond his physical capabilities and the reason fans and his teammates love him is he's exceeded expectations.  He's a penetrating DT that possesses the ability to take on an o lineman one on one get to the QB and plays the run well.  He's not a guy to take on a double team or be the run stuffing anchor.  When teamed up with Stroud and Dareus (when he played well) - that's when Kyle was at his best.  

The signing of Star makes perfect sense for Kyle to once again fit nicely in this defense.  For different reasons than when with Stroud and Dareus but the effect will be the same.  Let Kyle work one on one, penetrate and he'll handle his gap responsibilities.  

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

Do you have anything besides guesses to back up your statements?

Well to start, lets look at last years run defense. 

1 minute ago, akm0404 said:

Sir, you literally asked if an employer took into account accolades received and past performance when setting compensation. 

The Pro Bowl is not an accolade.

Tyrod Taylor made the Pro-bowl.

Andy Dalton made the pro-bowl having an awful statistical year, because everyone else "Couldnt go"

The Pro bowl "Accolade" Is meaningless. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Word outta Charlotte is that Lotulelei isn't an 'all football, all the time' type guy...he's got interests and motivations outside the game. He's a damn good player but from what I understand there were questions, especially the last two seasons, about whether or not his heart was really into it. 

Context RE Williams, who's the consummate heart guy...maybe they think he'll rub off on Lotulelei, who hasn't had a veteran presence like Williams on the d line before, previously it was all him and Short and they were both young.  

This is my concern as well. We just got rid of Dareus and don't need another under achiever. I don't expect Star to be Dareus talent wise, but I do hope he can take on the double teams and plug the sieve that was our run stop last year.  Hoping to get a penetrating rookie who can learn from Kyle at the other DT spot.

4 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

This is my concern as well. We just got rid of Dareus and don't need another under achiever. I don't expect Star to be Dareus talent wise, but I do hope he can take on the double teams and plug the sieve that was our run stop last year.  Hoping to get a penetrating rookie who can learn from Kyle at the other DT spot.

Didn't McDermott coach the guy?   If he doesn't absolutely positively want the guy here - would Beane even bother?   You are worrying about something you shouldn't in my opinion.

Edited by PolishDave
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, PolishDave said:

Didn't McDermott coach the guy?   If he doesn't absolutely positively want the guy here - would Beane even bother?   You are worrying about something you shouldn't in my opinion.

Hope you're right PD. At the end of the day I trust McBeane.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, CountDorkula said:

Well to start, lets look at last years run defense. 

You are blaming the entire run defense on him? You do realize that we need basically an entirely new front 7, right? The guys in the front 7 that are quality are not run stuffers (Hughes is a small speed rusher, Kyle is a small interior rusher, Milano is a coverage linebacker).

We need a huge interior lineman, more linebackers, and edge setting ends.

If there is a single thing that requires the entire defense to do effectively, it's defending the run.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
12 minutes ago, Bruce_Stools said:

Apparently not. If you don't agree with the majority, you're an idiot.

Kyle Williams is a huge part of this defense, that is getting paid wayyyyyyyy too much. 6 million is ridiculous. When I heard we had re-signed him, I imagined no more than 3 million. What happened to a team friendly deal to keep him around and retire a bill.  Guess he needed another in ground pool.

In no way whatsoever will this signing prevent us from doing other signings this off-season or in future times.  Three  million might as well be $300,000.  The Bills got him at the going rate.

Edited by K-GunJimKelly12