Bills Re-Sign Kyle Williams To One Year Deal

dgr81

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

Just because people are happy with the signing, doesn't mean they think he was effective.  Remember when Fred Jackson got cut?  It was because he was ineffective; everyone knew it; and most were pissed off.

I'm not unhappy that Kyle is back.  I simply think he was overpaid - as I do not expect him to be even close to an every down-type player.  And if he is, we're in a tad of trouble.  He was one of the reasons our D line sucked so bad last year.  That, my friend, is simple stuff.

So now we're going off the assumption that there's a contingency of happy people who think he's an ineffective player but are just happy that he was resigned because they like the guy?

So many mental gymnastics...

Whatever, have a good one.

Just now, thebandit27 said:

Actually Gug, check out my linked post above; Kyle came in exactly where the market puts him as a 34-year old DT with multiple pro bowls.

Do GMs actually take Pro Bowls into account?  Are ticket/merch sales that much of a factor?  Because being in the Pro Bowl doesn't necessarily mean a player is among the best at his position.

Just because people are happy with the signing, doesn't mean they think he was effective.  Remember when Fred Jackson got cut?  It was because he was ineffective; everyone knew it; and most were pissed off.

I'm not unhappy that Kyle is back.  I simply think he was overpaid - as I do not expect him to be even close to an every down-type player.  And if he is, we're in a tad of trouble.  He was one of the reasons our D line sucked so bad last year.  That, my friend, is simple stuff.

I bet you they are partially okay with paying him that for his presence in the locker room (his effect on rookies) and his embodiment of everything they are trying to establish in this team.     That is probably worth a couple million right there.    This staff is BIG on "team" and unselfishness.    That is Kyle Williams to a T.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Actually Gug, check out my linked post above; Kyle came in exactly where the market puts him as a 34-year old DT with multiple pro bowls.

People still care about that thing?

95% of the players back out now because of some mysterious injury. 

1 minute ago, Hurricane Marv said:

So now we're going off the assumption that there's a contingency of happy people who think he's an ineffective player but are just happy that he was resigned because they like the guy?

So many mental gymnastics...

Whatever, have a good one.

I will confidently opine that this contingency is significant.

Do GMs actually take Pro Bowls into account?  Are ticket/merch sales that much of a factor?  Because being in the Pro Bowl doesn't necessarily mean a player is among the best at his position.

Yes, it's a bargaining chip.

Just now, CountDorkula said:

People still care about that thing?

95% of the players back out now because of some mysterious injury. 

I think most GMs can tell the difference, but yes, it's still a bargaining chip

It usually means the first five or so choices didn't want to go and "Had an injury" to get out of it. 

1 minute ago, PolishDave said:

I bet you they are partially okay with paying him that for his presence in the locker room (his effect on rookies) and his embodiment of everything they are trying to establish in this team.     That is probably worth a couple million right there.    This staff is BIG on "team" and unselfishness.    That is Kyle Williams to a T.

Like I said, I get that leadership is important.  I don't think it's worth $2million in this case - but it's not my money!

I'm glad he's back.  I just don't think he's worth $5 mil.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, CountDorkula said:

It usually means the first five or so choices didn't want to go and "Had an injury" to get out of it. 

No, it does not "usually" mean that.

Every year, pro bowl teams are selected...once guys start dropping off, yes, teams get filled with people willing to go.

Please don't try to pass off Kyle's pro bowl selections as the "we'll take anyone" type a la Tyrod...you know better than that.

For those who say he is past his prime. According to the Bleacher report, he was still graded 25th in the league last year, higher than Star at 54th. No other Bill was in the top 100 for 2017. 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2751939-nfl1000-ranking-the-top-defensive-tackles-of-2017-season

Edited by OldNMBillsFan
clarity

Like I said, I get that leadership is important.  I don't think it's worth $2million in this case - but it's not my money!

I'm glad he's back.  I just don't think he's worth $5 mil.

It just makes sense.  That's also probably why it is a one year deal.  They know he is close to being done.   High percentage chance this next year is his last.  

He is going to set the tone and be used as an example of what every drafted player should aspire to become.    Maybe that is worth the money.   Maybe not.   This staff seems to think it is.

• Like (+1) 2