Rap Sheet: Bills pursuing Bradford for deal

2 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

I like Bradford, and this signing makes sense. But that positive reaction is very much couched in the "this better not be to draft josh f**king allen" point of view. 

Totally agree.  Get Mayfield to learn from Bradford, or Rosen.  Or as a second option,  draft Mike White, L.Jackson or L. Falk in the 2nd and make the D ridiculous with the 12th and 22nd pick.  

12 minutes ago, Steptide said:

I'm kinda anti Bradford. I can see it now, we draft a qb high, Bradford gets named starter, he's hurt by week 4, in comes rookie qb, we finish season 6-10

That very well could happen.

I think one of the reasons you go for Bradford though is that you are trying to build a culture where the locker room believes in management and gives full effort.

Bringing in the best possible passer is encouraging to the room.............if he gets injured it's not anything the room will get upset about because they all accept the risk and role of injuries in the game and won't hold that against the coach or the young QB and start giving discouraged efforts like we saw in that 3 game stretch last fall.  

Make no mistake that was a passive revolt against the offensive coaching staff putting too much pressure on the defense by playing to punt when they were exhausted in that Jets game.   This is a VERY OLD team.......they aren't going to want to waste a season of their careers nursing a rookie QB..........but if the regime puts it's best foot forward to win by not signing a bandaid like Josh McCown......and THEN it happens out of necessity it will be easier to keep the focus on the process.

Add a bargain Matt Moore to the equation and you have another decent option in the event the rookie doesn't seem ready to step in for Bradford.

Just now, Shaw66 said:

Problem is with Bradford theres a good chance your rookie playing on day 2. 

hopefully longer than day 2.  Just wrap him in bubble wrap for the preseason, etc.  Get a guy like Rosen or Mayfield, they are likely ready by mid-season anyway.  

34 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

Uhhhggg. Never liked Bradford personally 

You have a personal grudge against him?  Why?

If you mean as a player, he's been unquestionably, objectively very good when healthy dating back to his last year on the Rams.  He has also unquestionably, objectively had a hard time staying healthy.  If for some strange reason the Bills could keep him healthy, you would personally get to like him.

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

That very well could happen.

I think one of the reasons you go for Bradford though is that you are trying to build a culture where the locker room believes in management and gives full effort.

Bringing in the best possible passer is encouraging to the room.............if he gets injured it's not anything the room will get upset about because they all accept the risk and role of injuries in the game and won't hold that against the coach or the young QB and start giving discouraged efforts like we saw in that 3 game stretch last fall.  

Make no mistake that was a passive revolt against the offensive coaching staff putting too much pressure on the defense by playing to punt when they were exhausted in that Jets game.   This is a VERY OLD team.......they aren't going to want to waste a season of their careers nursing a rookie QB..........but if the regime puts it's best foot forward to win by not signing a bandaid like Josh McCown......and THEN it happens out of necessity it will be easier to keep the focus on the process.

Add a bargain Matt Moore to the equation and you have another decent option in the event the rookie doesn't seem ready to step in for Bradford.

interesting.  Bradford, Moore, Rookie and Peterman.  Peterman to PS?  

4 minutes ago, xRUSHx said:

I just hate the idea of Allen. I think the idea for OBD is to move up to get Rosen,Darnold or Mayfield its just signing Glassford has me worried they plan to just stay at 12 and grab Allen to sit around, just takes my excitement out is all.

I don't think it would make sense to trade up to 12 now and wait there for the QB they want when the rest of the league knows their intentions. That would make it too easy for someone to jump them and take Allen. 

If we sign him, the FO needs to be banging down the door of the scheduling committee begging them to give us the Patriots in week 1.  He should be healthy then.

I’m coming around to the idea.  I never wanted him because he’s one of the most injury prone qs in history, but it would be nice to see a very good pocket passer under center for the first time since bledsoe.  If it’s a team friendly deal, let’s do it,  would prefer a 1 year contract.

Edited by NewEra
  • Haha (+1) 1

I don't know if they're going with Bradford, but if they do, he is not their starter, not their bridge, he is their security blanket for when the starter is out for a series or a game.

Bradford makes sense if they are trading up for a day one starter.  The only day one starters in the draft are Mayfield or Rosen.  You tell me, which makes more sense- Rosen,Bradford,Peterman  or  Mayfield, Bradford, Peterman.   It's Rosen, and they're trading up to wherever they have to (2,3, or 4) to get him.

4 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

2016 saw him pretty close to that mark and he started 15 games. 

Did not realize he had a season he started that many games, just looked up his stats 20 TDs and 5 picks and 3877 yards. Those are nice stats, hopefully if he signs here we hit the lottery and he starts 15 games again.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

you think that makes Allen more or less likely?  

I'd think so, Bradford is one FA QB who can be seen as a legit starter. So the things I take into account 

Everyone see the Bills moving up and knows they are most likely moving up again for a QB... If you are a FA QB you aren't signing with Buffalo with the impression you are the long term solution.

Therefore, if you are Bradford why sign with Buffalo if you don't think you are in that stage of your career? 

Because the Bills all but tell you the rookie won't push for playing time in year one and maybe not even in year two.

The only QB that would give that kind of assurance would be Allen as he's the least pro ready.

For me, if we are going after Darnold or Rosen, you go for a Moore or Anderson or Daniels or McCown. Guys who can start in a pinch but are more mentor/vet savvy backups.

2 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

I don't think it would make sense to trade up to 12 now and wait there for the QB they want when the rest of the league knows their intentions. That would make it too easy for someone to jump them and take Allen. 

IMO the rest of the league will laugh if they take Allen at 12 knowing he is late 1st early second round pick at best IMO. A team would have to be nuts to jump higher to take him. Any QB taken in the top 15 should be a first year starter not a bench warmer.