Does Shaq Lawson for Martavius Bryant make sense?

njbuff

Just now, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Not Huge hole... Lawson was just good. Sets edge well, didn’t reall terrorize the backfield 

I am in the minority, but I expect him to take a jump next year.  Regardless, the depth behind him, the FA market and our need for flexibility in the draft make this incredibly risky IMHO.

Just now, CuddyDark said:

He was 5technique in college. He'd probably fit better then he does here. Bills should seriously try Shaq at 3technique.

He played everywhere between 5 and 9-tech at Clemson, plus a decent amount of 2-point, but that's not really what I was getting at.

Pittsburgh tends to use heftier guys at the 5-tech, and even though I think Shaq sets a heckuva edge as a 9T, I don't think that he's the guy you want playing head-up on a OT in a 2-gapping system.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Lawson has been a disappointment, but come on. Give him a third year in the system. Players do get better, and while he's never going to be that explosive, he has some skills/assets that are valuable. Also, he came out as a junior, so he's still young (23). And he's missed time in both seasons with small-ish injuries. 

Waiting for the update from Sal about how Shaq can help the pass rush by keeping QB's from running around the edge that he inadvertently sets by being the last guy to react to the snap 110% of the time.;)

I bust Shaq-balls on here but if they can't get rid of him for some value I would be interested to see if he can improve.    I'm not entirely closed to the possibility.

Dat first step doh'.  :blink: 

no thanks a locker room cancer and although we haven't seen a whole lot from Shaq id like to keep him and see what they can do with him. Was a 1st rnd pick and has a boatload of talent at a manageable cap number

Edited by Wsam4031
spelling
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Waiting for the update from Sal about how Shaq can help the pass rush by keeping QB's from running around the edge that he inadvertently sets by being the last guy to react to the snap 110% of the time.;)

I bust Shaq-balls on here but if they can't get rid of him for some value I would be interested to see if he can improve.    I'm not entirely closed to the possibility.

Dat first step doh'.  :blink: 

I agree about that first step. But if you get rid of him, who is gonna play the position? He's a JAG at the very least, and as we both know there are a lot of sub-JAG players populating NFL rosters. I don't think the WR position is more important than the DE position, and Bryant comes with a LOT of baggage that shouldn't be overlooked. 

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

He played everywhere between 5 and 9-tech at Clemson, plus a decent amount of 2-point, but that's not really what I was getting at.

Pittsburgh tends to use heftier guys at the 5-tech, and even though I think Shaq sets a heckuva edge as a 9T, I don't think that he's the guy you want playing head-up on a OT in a 2-gapping system.

I got you. It's a different 5 tech there. So maybe in a one gap 34 like Rams or Texans?

9 minutes ago, N.Y. Orangeman said:

I am in the minority, but I expect him to take a jump next year.  Regardless, the depth behind him, the FA market and our need for flexibility in the draft make this incredibly risky IMHO.

Fair.  I don’t see it happening, but unless they get very good value for him i guess it make sense to give him one more season in the new system. 

Personally Yarborough was more noticible on the field than 90

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

Just now, dave mcbride said:

I agree about that first step. But if you get rid of him, who is gonna play the position? He's a JAG at the very least, and as we both know there are a lot of sub-JAG players populating NFL rosters. I don't think the WR position is more important than the DE position, and Bryant comes with a LOT of baggage that shouldn't be overlooked. 

Agree. If Steelers offered a second round pick for Shaq i'd take it.

20 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

An edge setter coming off injury for a guy that is a bonafide playmaker? 

If you were Pittsburgh would you take that deal? Be a daisy if ya do...

Thye've been trying to get rid of him for a while and he's a former 1st Round pick that might fit. I wouldn't be too surprised tbh.

19 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

#96 for Bryant wouldn't be bad value to spend at all and better than anyone offering a #4.    WR market is HOT.   After seeing what Eagles and Rams did now everyone wants WR to put around their young QB.    Maybe Steelers throw in a 2019 6th.    They are bereft of draft picks this year.

I think Beane is trying to talk Tampa into taking Shaq to move up to #7 though.    THAT would be a helluva deal if he can pull it off.

Shaq and 22 for the #7? Is Beane a magician? Just remind them what happened the last time a Shaq was in Florida!

(Lol i onow it would be #12)

Imagine having #7 & #12?

Edited by apuszczalowski

8 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Yarbrough and Davis are comparable producers in rotation and the place-holders until they find a pass rusher to man that spot.    I suspect there will be another Obdighizuwa or two put into the mix.   Need some long, bendy athletes for those DE positions in this D IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Shaq and 22 for the #7? Is Beane a magician? Just remind them what happened the last time a Shaq was in Florida!

(Lol i onow it would be #12)

Imagine having #7 & #12?

I suspect he means moving from 12 to 5, not from 22.