car trade in value

teef

31 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I think I made out pretty well.

See, its like I said, everyone thinks they get a good deal buying a car., including me!.

it's a true skill these guys have, we hate the process, but we all rationalize it was worth it, cause after all" I got a great deal".  Genius these guys!

Amazing car dealers stay in business when we all cut such great deals:doh::D

Edited by plenzmd1

8 minutes ago, teef said:

also, do anyone find there's not a ton of wiggle room in negotiations now?  we know what the dealer paid, and their general markup, (they obviously need to make a profit).  they can work with you on trade in value, there may be incentives involved, then after that, maybe a small percentage of the price of the car can be negotiated.  i've been to a couple of dealers in the past who say that's all they'll give.  that being said, i've gotten large factory incentives just by luck in the past.  one was 8 grand off the sticker price, just to get the car off the lot. 

It depends what time of year you look, and how desperate the dealership is for a sale. For instance, that last truck my husband bought had factory incentives + trade in + cash rebate. Done price. For some reason when he got to the dealership, they gave him another $500 off coupon (that made no sense to me, he'd already agreed to a price) to lower the price even more.

It also depends on what you want. On my vehicle we paid sticker and I was happy to do so.  There are only XX that arrive in the country,  and I either paid it or didn't get the vehicle (it was also worth more the first year I drove it off the lot than what I paid for it. :o  )  My owning that car is an example of a salesman going above and beyond - the local dealership said, "too bad, so sad can't find what you want". The dealership the next city over not only found it, they managed to grab it from the Florida dealer as soon as it arrived there (they missed it when it was unloaded in Baltimore, but grabbed it before anyone else could buy it from under us).  Sometimes, the salesperson makes a difference. 

10 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

See, its like I said, everyone thinks they get a good deal buying a car., including me!.

it's a true skill these guys have, we hate the process, but we all rationalize it was worth it, cause after all" I got a great deal".  Genius these guys!

Amazing car dealers stay in business when we all cut such great deals:doh::D

? You!!

?

Maybe you suck at buying cars, but I don’t.  Helps to have an experienced salesman guide you through the process, so you know approximately how much “wiggle room” the dealer has on the vehicle.  I run this ****!

an option not yet mentioned is donating the car. donating it, you can pretty much put the price on it you wish. come tax time, you have to fill out a form if it is for more than a certain amount, but if you're legit, you have nothing to fear. take it off the top of your income and you make out in a couple of ways. first, you're doing something exemplary and it might just bring you down a tax bracket. win-win quite possibly.  

2 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

? You!!

?

Maybe you suck at buying cars, but I don’t.  Helps to have an experienced salesman guide you through the process, so you know approximately how much “wiggle room” the dealer has on the vehicle.  I run this ****!

Helps to have an experienced salesman who you know personally guide you through the process... the stories he's told me about selling cars would shatter your brain. Mainly, there really is no sale going on ever... no matter how many balloons we have out front or how many times you've seen/heard our commercials. Trade ins, for the most part, are treated like auction items... unless it's something that is exceptional and can make it as a resale at the dealership. 

For spending so much money on a car we are treated like a cheap whore when it comes down to actually obtaining one... we are better than that people, never buy Brand New.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

? You!!

?

:lol:

Think about this..when was the last time you heard this when someone was telling you about their new/recent car purchase.

"you know, they just wore me down, and I really didn't know anything, I was tired, so I just said okay, I will take your price.. I think I got a bad deal, but at least I have the car I want"

I am telling you its a skill...100% of people who buy cars got a great deal due to(pick your reason here) , and we all leave convinced we won!. Its freaking amazing

3 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Car dealers, all of them, have a great way of making you think you got a deal! I always remember a sales training class I had a few years back, trainer asked a room of about 40 folks who had bought a car in the last 10 years. Every hand went up. He then asked, who got a good to great deal on said car, every hand went up. 

What i I have done last couple of cars is understand what I felt my trade in was worth based in research and understand a dealer needs to make money, and a really good idea of the price I was comfortable paying for the new car. Then I just say to the dealer is the all in price   For instance, trade in $5k, new car I want for $30k. I tell them I don’t care what price you put on what, I will give you $25K all in, including all garbage processing fees etc, but excluding taxed and tags. 

I have been been able to get to quick agreement doing that last two times, with no arguing at paperwork over any garbage fees etc. 

That stuff just ticks me off! 

My wife had a car dealer client (also our congressman - many dealerships and knows his stuff) who told her they just sell new cars so they can get your trade in...THAT is where the money is. 

My wife loves that dance as much as I detest it. Her cousin is a used car dealer and helps her with info, but it’s a pain in the arse regardless. She just helped my son buy a new 4Runner with two trade ins. It was amazing all the little things they came up with! There was a tiny chip in the windshield I hadn’t even noticed. They wanted some ridiculous amount to repair it. We told them we’d send Safelite or whoever there to fix it for free with insurance. They seemed bummed.  It made me happy. 

6 hours ago, sherpa said:

A major franchise will, and that liability costs them per vehicle. 

Not always.  Jerry's is a major franchise in my area and I bought a car from them.  Three times I brought the car back to them and three times I was told it was something NOT covered by warranty.  On 4th time I went to a different dealer and he told me I had a cracked engine block and from buildup it had been going on for at least 6 months - the period I went to Jerry's.  They fixed it no cost and explained to me that seller is reluctant to attribute issue to something covered under warranty because there is chargeback each time a covered item is discovered/fixed.

As someone who leases fairly often, I can tell you the value on mid sized cars is way down. I don't know what the op drives, but with crossovers being the hot sellers currently, mid sized cars are losing alot of value. I think the key to getting a "deal" is shopping around. My wife recently leased a 2017 nissan rogue, and I litterally went to every nissan dealership in the area. The first few dealers offered us around a $400 a month payment with zero down. I kept trying different dealers and was able to get the monthly payment to $240 a month with zero down and a better trim level. That is a HUGE difference per month and I'd say we got a deal. So my advice is shop around. It's alot of work and it's annoying but I was glad I did for $160 extra dollars a month 

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

It depends what time of year you look, and how desperate the dealership is for a sale.

Very true.  End of model year is generally the best time to buy, especially if they're changing the body style or have a model change.  We bought my wife's loaded Pathfinder over the internet in the final model year of the last body style, right as the new models were starting to hit the lot.  We got 25% off sticker, the next set of tires, full maintenance for 75k, and 0% interest.  All done over the internet in a couple of hours.

My truck came from a very large volume dealer who doesn't negotiate but marks pretty much everything down 20% as a rule.  They had a 4th of July sale where they went down another 10%.  Went online, found the exact truck I wanted, called and asked them to set it aside because I was on my way in with a check.  I was in and out of there in 25 minutes, including the test drive.  Spectacular.

It's sad that this antiquated "dealership" model still exists for automotive sales in America. 

That industry is mostly run by complete scum and they should all be made to work for a living doing something legitimate.

I applaud people like Tesla who find new/better ways to sell a car and pretty much cut the dealer middle man out of the equation entirely, right where he belongs.

1 hour ago, Steptide said:

As someone who leases fairly often, I can tell you the value on mid sized cars is way down. I don't know what the op drives, but with crossovers being the hot sellers currently, mid sized cars are losing alot of value. I think the key to getting a "deal" is shopping around. My wife recently leased a 2017 nissan rogue, and I litterally went to every nissan dealership in the area. The first few dealers offered us around a $400 a month payment with zero down. I kept trying different dealers and was able to get the monthly payment to $240 a month with zero down and a better trim level. That is a HUGE difference per month and I'd say we got a deal. So my advice is shop around. It's alot of work and it's annoying but I was glad I did for $160 extra dollars a month 

I worked with a guy who leased a nice Mercedes. He put some miles on it, then leased a Camry on top of the Benz because it was cheaper than going over his miles on the Benz. Know what you’re doing before you lease. It can be fine for many people, but it’s not for people who jump in unaware. 

32 minutes ago, Augie said:

I worked with a guy who leased a nice Mercedes. He put some miles on it, then leased a Camry on top of the Benz because it was cheaper than going over his miles on the Benz. Know what you’re doing before you lease. It can be fine for many people, but it’s not for people who jump in unaware. 

This is true. Leasing only works for some people. I was just pointing out that shopping around can pay off in the end 

4 minutes ago, Steptide said:

This is true. Leasing only works for some people. I was just pointing out that shopping around can pay off in the end 

ABSOLUTELY! My wife shops the hell out of it. They think they have the advantage when a woman walks in. She manages negotiating investment management fees with people who have sold businesses for hundreds of millions. These car guys think they can intimidate her over a friggin’ car. I enjoy the comedy of the whole thing.  

OK, old story but MANY years ago when the kids were young and cell phones were new. We left a gym somewhere one Saturday and the phone rang. We all had to be quiet while mom did her thing and held a deal together. She hung up, turned to the kids and said “THAT is MY sport!”  An instant classic. 

1 hour ago, Steptide said:

That is a HUGE difference per month and I'd say we got a deal. 

1 hour ago, Alaska Darin said:

I was in and out of there in 25 minutes, including the test drive.  Spectacular.

see, everyone gets a deal, some even spectacular! Again, I am not being snarky, but it just amazes me how the car industry has somehow convinced us that 100% of cars purchased are "awesome deals". I know I never bought a car unless it was a great deal.

13 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

see, everyone gets a deal, some even spectacular! Again, I am not being snarky, but it just amazes me how the car industry has somehow convinced us that 100% of cars purchased are "awesome deals". I know I never bought a car unless it was a great deal.

Well, I've done enough car shopping in my lifetime, that theirs been times where I definitely wasn't getting a "deal" and I left. I've had dealerships come down thousands of dollars on cars and I've had dealerships that wouldn't budge a cent on cars. Kelly blue book and true car can be helpful tools to show what the average purchase price of a car is, so at least you have an idea if you got ripped off or not 

Edited by Steptide

13 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Well, I've done enough car shopping in my lifetime, that theirs been times where I definitely wasn't getting a "deal" and I left. I've had dealerships come down thousands of dollars on cars and I've had dealerships that wouldn't budge a cent on cars. Kelly blue book and true car can be helpful tools to show what the average purchase price of a car is, so at least you have an idea if you got ripped off or not 

again, my point is only that an entire industry has somehow convinced 100% of their customers that they are getting a better deal than the average Joe. I am sure they teach case studies on this B school, it amazes me.

I challenge anyone to name even one person they know who says they did not a good a good to a great deal on a car...its amazing

35 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

again, my point is only that an entire industry has somehow convinced 100% of their customers that they are getting a better deal than the average Joe. I am sure they teach case studies on this B school, it amazes me.

I challenge anyone to name even one person they know who says they did not a good a good to a great deal on a car...its amazing

LOL.  Too funny (and true).  Nobody wants to be the rube who gets "taken" by the dealership.  Those salesmen know exactly what they are doing.

FYI, if you're a Costco member and in the market for a new vehicle you should look into their auto purchase program.  No haggle pricing and apparent transparency regarding invoice price and Costco price.  I priced the same exact vehicle with a participating and non-participating dealer and the non-participant was 2K higher (and wouldn't budge).

Edited by eball
  • Like (+1) 1

First thing is get the blue book value of the car.  IF you have a Carmax in your area, give them a try.  It's totally non-binding, low pressure, you get some time to decide, and much safer than selling it yourself.  I used them when I retired and we went from 2 to 1 car, and thought they were very fair, and very easy.