2018 NCAA Tourney

plenzmd1

3 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

I feel for Virginia and their fans. They have to live with this forever. Ugh!

That loss could not have happened to a more deserving fan base. “The University’s” fan base rivals the Pats fan for douche  baggery. 

7 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

With the way the regular season went this year, I knew that the tournament would be wild this year.

I feel for Virginia and their fans. They have to live with this forever. Ugh!

I don't. In fact I'm happy these elite programs are getting exposed. The ugly truth is there is more parity in college basketball now with the best players heading off to the NBA sooner. It's not like football where Alabama is always going to get the best 44 players. In college basketball even a UMBC can put together a competitive team. That's why the NCAA are loathe to add more smaller schools to its tournament.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

39 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I don't. In fact I'm happy these elite programs are getting exposed. The ugly truth is there is more parity in college basketball now with the best players heading off to the NBA sooner. It's not like football where Alabama is always going to get the best 44 players. In college basketball even a UMBC can put together a competitive team. That's why the NCAA are loathe to add more smaller schools to its tournament.

Virginia would not be a good example to use here. 

Plenty of juniors and seniors.     They did it all the right way and just got smoked.   

Virginia runs a great program.

It was a freakish game, and UMCB did the only thing they could have, which was spread out, go in and out to limit Virginia's incredibly cooperative defense, and drain threes.

Stuff like that happens. Occasionally, one team will hit a bunch of threes and another team can't buy one.

Still, the Virginia program is an example of clean college basketball.

Proud to be a fan. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

@eball we having heart/panic attacks yet?

LOL no I knew it would be a close game early on...that's the Heels' M.O.  They were sloppy with the ball early, but they turned up the D and held a team that scores 86 a game to 66.

I'm glad I didn't have Virginia winning it in any of my pools...I've said it before, for whatever reason their "brand" of basketball (ugly, defense-reliant) doesn't translate to the NCAA tourney.  Still, that was the ultimate choke job of all time.

What do we realistically think about UB's chances today?  UK giving 5.5...I think it's worth a little flyer on the Bulls.

8 minutes ago, sherpa said:

Virginia runs a great program.

It was a freakish game, and UMCB did the only thing they could have, which was spread out, go in and out to limit Virginia's incredibly cooperative defense, and drain threes.

Stuff like that happens. Occasionally, one team will hit a bunch of threes and another team can't buy one.

Still, the Virginia program is an example of clean college basketball.

Proud to be a fan. 

Bennett needs to advance his coaching strategy to meet the current century.  What did that wonderful ACC season get them?  There's a reason why that program chokes again and again in the tourney -- Bennett's style of basketball is ancient and will always lose out to teams who get hot on a given night.  It's a great system for a team with lesser talent to allow it to compete with more talented teams, but it's not the style to win in the tournament.

If I'm a truly special high school kid there's no way I go to UVA if my goal is a national championship.

Hey@eball , was driving to DC this morning and listening to Marty & McKee SHOW ON ESPN. Funny funny guys. Anyway, they had on a dude who’s dad was the Carolina Radio PBP guy I guess for 40 years. Seems like his dad has recently passed, and was just a great segment. All of em being good ole boys. 

If if they have the show on demand , give a listen, you would prolly enjoy it, I know I did and I had no idea who they were talking about. It was on ariound 8:30, not sure when the show started, but it did end at 9 so will be close to end. 

36 minutes ago, eball said:

LOL no I knew it would be a close game early on...that's the Heels' M.O.  They were sloppy with the ball early, but they turned up the D and held a team that scores 86 a game to 66.

I'm glad I didn't have Virginia winning it in any of my pools...I've said it before, for whatever reason their "brand" of basketball (ugly, defense-reliant) doesn't translate to the NCAA tourney.  Still, that was the ultimate choke job of all time.

What do we realistically think about UB's chances today?  UK giving 5.5...I think it's worth a little flyer on the Bulls.

Bennett needs to advance his coaching strategy to meet the current century.  What did that wonderful ACC season get them?  There's a reason why that program chokes again and again in the tourney -- Bennett's style of basketball is ancient and will always lose out to teams who get hot on a given night.  It's a great system for a team with lesser talent to allow it to compete with more talented teams, but it's not the style to win in the tournament.

If I'm a truly special high school kid there's no way I go to UVA if my goal is a national championship.

Agree completely. I will also say that he doesn’t have to compromise his good defensive principles too.

But they need to play faster and get much more explosive on O, especially the guard play. This is a guard’s tournament. It’s why Duke, Carolina, and KY are always contending. 

12 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Izzo is such a tool. Whining post-game after getting an enormous heap of home cooking from the refs even the announcers said it. 

You Ohio people just can't ever give up your hate for anything Michigan. Your tribalism can not be extinguished. :ph34r: 

Edited by JohnC

1 hour ago, eball said:

And you know what?

Nobody at Virginia gives a damn about someone who considers himself "a truly special high school kid."

They will not get that kid unless his parents are "truly special, " and he is getting "truly special" advice.

There isn't a more respected college coach in the nation than Tony Bennett, and probably not a more respected program.

This team was unranked at the season open.

Undefeated during the ACC away schedule.

This isn't the NBA, and I'm absolutely certain UVA isn't going to change a thing.

It is a great program, run by great people.

Losses happen with 20 year olds.

2015 NCAA best sports D1 school?

Virginia, and with no scandals. 

@sherpa you’re really missing my point. Bennett is a great guy and they have great kids and yada yada yada. Tell me it’s not a ridiculous embarrassment as a Virginia fan to watch what just happened, and to see what has happened consistently to the Cavs as the higher seed in the tourney under Bennett.

I’m only talking about the tournament and what it means to the players/fans, not what kind of a school Virginia is. 

Bennett runs the sort of program you’d expect to see at a mid-major. If you think Virginia boosters are going to be satisfied with the lack of tourney results for very much longer you’re kidding yourself. 

32 minutes ago, eball said:

@sherpa you’re really missing my point. Bennett is a great guy and they have great kids and yada yada yada. Tell me it’s not a ridiculous embarrassment as a Virginia fan to watch what just happened, and to see what has happened consistently to the Cavs as the higher seed in the tourney under Bennett.

I’m only talking about the tournament and what it means to the players/fans, not what kind of a school Virginia is. 

Bennett runs the sort of program you’d expect to see at a mid-major. If you think Virginia boosters are going to be satisfied with the lack of tourney results for very much longer you’re kidding yourself. 

I'm not missing your point.

You are missing the point, and the only one being "kidded" is you.

Virginia boosters couldn't be more happy with Bennett.

The team was unranked entering the season and blew away the ACC.

That isn't what gets people un-satisfied.

I live here, and I have kids who are UVA alums.

This is the epitome of what a really successful college program is about.

Hideous loss, but a sports loss for 20 year olds who will get over it by next weekend.

Other things matter.

Virginia's problem has always been that it's in the ACC, which includes Duke, UNC, and the occasional powerhouse Wake and NC State.

Bennett has taken them on and beaten them, without one and done players.

They have never had the big middle guy, nor the take control guards.

This year, the guard play has been great. Kyle Guy and Ty Jerome are way better than Virginia has had in the past, and are not done.

47 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

crazy buzzer beater for Michigan 

Holy Crap! I really thought they were done.

Even after Houston missed those 2 free throws that would have clinched it.

Michigan has not played their best these 2 games, and they were very lucky to win tonight.

They remain hot as they have now won 11 in a row, and are on their way to the Sweet 16.

GO BLUE!!!

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Holy Crap! I really thought they were done.

Even after Houston missed those 2 free throws that would have clinched it.

Michigan has not played their best these 2 games, and they were very lucky to win tonight.

They remain hot as they have now won 11 in a row, and are on their way to the Sweet 16.

GO BLUE!!!

The essence of March Madness!!!   I thought they were done too...they played out of sync offensively, but the D was solid, especially on Gray (boy that dude irritates me, but would love him on my team).  Hat's off to Houston for solid D.  Maybe this will give Mich their mojo back.