Albright: Broncos Targeting Mayfield, Bill's Josh Allen

Just now, BillsFan17 said:

So Keenum put that team on his shoulders and won all those games by him self, interesting take.

And how many did Kirk out on his shoulders??

You act like Keenum was a scrub that was along for the ride, if he didn't play like he did then they wouldn't have won the games they did.

1 minute ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

And how many did Kirk out on his shoulders??

You act like Keenum was a scrub that was along for the ride, if he didn't play like he did then they wouldn't have won the games they did.

No, at no point did I act like Keenum was a scrub. Nor did I say he was along for the ride.

However, you can't simply ignore the difference in roster and coaching staff.

Moreover the irony or arguing this while the team that knew Keenum best let him walk for his replacement.

10 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

I think this is incorrect. I think most posters view Allen as the most raw top QB prospect. 

Most raw in terms of playing from under center and running a pro style offense?  In this regard, I’d put him ahead of Mayfield, Jackson, and Rudolph.  Easily.

4 hours ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

Rather have the other way around

Indeed. 

But Albright has been calling "Allen to the Bills" since January before the Sr Bowl I think, I'm not sure based on what intel.  He certainly didn't call Tyrod Taylor to the Browns, Kiser to Green Bay, or Cousins to the Vikings!

75YwXTCb_bigger.jpg Benjamin AllbrightVerified account @AllbrightNFL Jan 25

If I'm guessing on the QB carousel... Cle: Alex Smith or McCarron, and Darnold NYG: Rosen Den: Cousins, or Keenum + Baker Buf: Try to move up for Josh Allen Wash: Alex Smith + draft pick Ari: Osweiler + draft pick NYJ: In Josh Allen lottery Jax: Cousins + draft pick

2 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Most raw in terms of playing from under center and running a pro style offense?  In this regard, I’d put him ahead of Mayfield, Jackson, and Rudolph.  Easily.

I guess not in terms of running a pro-style offense in the dated sense of the term. Pro offenses are incorporating more and more "college" designs into their playbooks. That is what we have heard a lot about Daboll, too.

I think what I was trying to say is that Allen is by far more raw overall, not in the specific context of running a pro style offense, but also that (a) the idea of pro style vs college style offense is changing and (b) given that change, Mayfield might actually be less raw in terms of familiarity with the designs Daboll plans to run. 

4 hours ago, RussellDopeland said:

If the Broncos want Mayfield, why the hell are they going to dump a Brink's Truck load of cash in Keenum's lap? Some of these rumours are convoluted drivel

Acquiring Keenum doesn’t preclude the Broncos from targeting a QB high in the draft. The rookie wage scale would pay what decent backups make, anyway.

In terms of pro-readiness, I'd say they fall into the following categories:

Ready to go from Day 1:

Josh Rosen

Baker Mayfield (if it's a shotgun based offense)

Can play on Day 1, but would prefer time to develop them:

Sam Darnold

Josh Allen

Lamar Jackson

I'd like to work with all 3 of these guys on their mechanics before I'd ideally let them play in the regular season.

Right now, any kind of news leaks or rumors are almost 100% coming from agents. The crew of local sportswriters in Buffalo have all said numerous times that this regime has everything on lockdown and aren't putting any info out there. If they do, it's likely misinformation anyway. 

Bills are obviously gonna do their homework on the entire QB group but they're the only ones who know who their top target is. 

6 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I don't know what would make the Bills think they have the coaching or structure in place to groom a QB like Josh Allen.  They don't even have a QB coach.

Technically they actually do. Just because has been a WR coach most of his career doesn't mean he can't coach QBs. Even if it doesn't look ideal

He's a football coach first And foremost.

ive seen WR coaches become great QB coaches and DB coaches

And DB coaches become Great WR coaches 

If McDermott wants him, he is obviously at least pretty good at his job

Edited by Buffalo716

13 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Smokescreen?

I think so too. My guess is the early rumors about the Bills loving Darnold are legit. They came from way back last summer from scouts scuttlebut IIRC. I think the Rosen and Allen rumors later on were deliberate on their part. I bet they still love Darnold

Darnold is also my first choice at this point - I know he's sloppy, but I just love the way he plays. He looks comfortable and born to play QB. He's got a spark and a command that are rare for a 20 year old. But I'm also intrigued by Mayfield. I kind of buy the Bills' focus on big guys, though, so I don't see them going that way. There was some video in the last day or two where the commentator was talking about that big guy preference on their part. He thought it pointed to Allen, which it could. But either way he was basing it on more than just Beane's prototype comment. He said that Dabol might share the Pats' bias for big guys - apparently the Pats wouldn't even scout QBs that didn't meet their height/weight/hands minimums. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Steptide said:

I really know nothing about Josh Allen. Can someone tell me why people don't like/want him? 

The completion percentage is often cited as a red flag, as is the small school competition he faced. There's obviously a lot to like about his size and arm, and I think he has pretty good pocket presence, but I haven't seen every game of his. 

If it ain't Darnold, -then it's a mistake.

That's coming from a guy who isn't a Darnold fan either... The money in this draft was DT at 21 and LB at 22...

Moving up for a QB bust seems like a play from Buddy Nix's book

Did anyone else hear the audio? Im

not who it was but I heard a clip where they said the Bills deliberately provided info to various “sources” that they liked Allen. So I doubt they actually do.

i realize it was the Peterman source from last year but it sounds like it was more than that. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

Did anyone else hear the audio? Im

not who it was but I heard a clip where they said the Bills deliberately provided info that various sources that they liked Allen. So I’m doubt they do.

i realize it was the Peterman source from last year but it sounds like it was more than that. 

Here are the two things that don't smell right about the Allen interest:

First, if the apple of your eye is Allen, who is widely believed to be the QB MOST in need of spending a year or two on the bench....then why trade away Tyrod Taylor? If you're picking a guy that you know needs to sit, you don't just give up a quality bridge QB on a good contract. And if you DO give him up, you go aggressively after one of the big name FA QBs (Bradford, Bridgewater, McCown, etc). The fact that the Bills both gave up Tyrod Taylor AND didn't go after a "Quality" bridge QB doesn't make sense in the context of drafting Allen.

Second, the Bills did not have scouts at a single one of Josh Allen's games this year! They had scouts at multiple games of Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, Rudolph, Jackson, and Falk. But NO Bills scouts attended any Josh Allen games. Would they really give up a ton of assets to trade up for a kid that no one in the front office had seen play live and in person? That seems crazy to me!

• Like (+1) 1