Albright: Broncos Targeting Mayfield, Bill's Josh Allen

16 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Because, just as the Cleveland radio host said yesterday on WGR, it’s a ponzu scheme where GMs are purposely hyping up so that they can get their guy...

To me Allen is EJ Manuel with s stronger arm.

So when he hits the tent on the sidelines I  training camp it falls down?

• Haha (+1) 1

I’m not a huge Allen guy. The accuracy issues scares me. But being a young guy, who had to play in a pro-system, with a bad team around him, and not having the greatest footwork, I wonder if they see him being really talented and just needing to work on mechanics, which they can teach him. 

Im not sure, but at this point, I’m just trusting Beane, McDermott and their front office.

i thought trading Sammy & Darby was a tank route. It might’ve been, but they also coached up the group they had, and made smart, under the Radar signings, showing they have a good ability to evaluate talent.

I trust their process. 

22 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

They certainly won't be the laughingstock, at least not until Allen actually proves to be a bust. Pretty much everyone outside of PFF and fans like ourselves are very high on him.

...unfortunately, for all the wrong reasons.

13 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

bit dramatic.

I would take any of the other 3 over Allen.

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Juice_32 said:

Please be smoke.

At first, I thought this read please be Snoke. I thought I was going to have to have a very difficult conversation about how that evil jedi is in a galaxy far, far away and not coming to help this team win a Super Bowl. 

2 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

...unfortunately, for all the wrong reasons.

I would take any of the other 3 over Allen.

so would I..... but laughing stock? come on man. allen has been in the discussion as a top prospect with darnold and rosen for over a year now. 

the take was a bit dramatic IMO. now if they decide its gonna be allen and don't even bother to pick up a solid vet for next year then i'll get a bit cranky.

I want Rosen and I sticking with that. I don't like Mayfield or Darnold all that much. If you really look at things without emotion, Allen makes sense for the Bills. He has all the size and things. Big hands and big arm. Great teammate and leader and clean off the field. An outdoor, cold weather guy. I see why scouts love him. The thing is, he really is going to need two years to sit. If the team is really willing to do that, and not throw him to the wolves early, then I'd be okay with it. If he starts games this season, he will likely bust imo. GMs say they are going to let guys develop and always go back on that word. 

I remember when Cincy drafted Carson Palmer, and no matter what they sat him for Jon Kitna. They stuck to their word and it was huge for Carson. 

This is my take:

• Rosen can start right away, but it makes sense to have him sit 4-8 games like Eli did. 
  • Mayfield can probably start right away if you completely revamp your offense to do the things he was doing in college. This is what O'Brien did for Watson last year. This will only work for a limited time. 
  • Darnold needs a year. I am trying to find reasons to love the guy, but I just don't see it. I have to continue to study him, because the one thing I do know is that it is likely that all the scouts and GMs and such know more than me.  And they love him. 
  • Allen needs, probably two full years, but probably has the highest ceiling.  
Edited by MrEpsYtown

1 minute ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Mixed bag.  Plus, he plays for Wyoming.  I think the kid has the raw materials, and will be a good one with the right coaching and good talent around him.  I have him as my 3rd QB behind Rosen and Darnold.

What makes you think he's better than Baker Mayfield? 

Just now, FeelingOnYouboty said:

What makes you think he's better than Baker Mayfield? 

I think he's a better fit for a pro-style offense.  Played out of shotgun, pistol, 3 step drop, 7 step drop, and can run if needed.   I think a good OC can use him in any offense, where as an OC would need to build their offense around Mayfield.  Did you watch Mayfield playing from under center in the senior bowl?  He was a mess.  JMO, man.

• Like (+1) 2

Everyone needs to calm down.

At this time of year, 90% of the "leaks" put out by teams is total garbage and meant to disguise their true intentions.

The Bills are targeting the Quarterback position.  That much is certain.

They are not content with one of the secondary prospects who could have dropped to #21 like Mason Rudolph.  That much is also certain.

Exactly who they are after is a total mystery.  There may be more than one guy they like.  It's possible they haven't decided yet.

With that said... Based on everything I've read and watched myself, the top two guys (in my opinion) are clearly Sam Darnold and Josh Rosen.  They reach all the marks physically and mentally.  They had very good college careers and show well on film.  They can make every kind of NFL throw.  They work well in the pocket.  Overall, they seem to be the safest bets, while also offering a large amount of upside. 

Josh Allen, Baker Mayfield and Lamar Jackson all offer very high upside.  Maybe even higher than Darnold or Rosen.  But they are also greater risks.  Allen and Jackson because of their accuracy and mechanics.  Mayfield because of his size.   No doubt these guys would be strong 1st Round selections, but I can't see any NFL teams passing on high upside/low risk for high upside/high risk.  I think once it gets closer to mid/late April, this will start becoming clear and Darnold/Rosen will be heavy favorites to go first.