DT Star Lotulelei to Bills!

3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Good piece, but this is why the grading system is flawed, especially for qbs:

The greatness of Rodgers’ performance last night was in the intangibles. Recognizing the blitz, drawing the defense offsides, catching the Chiefs in bad situations and exploiting those scenarios with simple passes to open receivers. But you cannot — and we do not try to — quantify intangibles, or what comes pre-snap. Our system grades what can be graded — the execution of the play post-snap — and in that regard Rodgers did not stand out in the same way that his statistics did.

Yes, but Star Lotulelei isn't drawing defenses offsides. QB will always be one of, if not the hardest position to evaluate.

2 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

How a fan explains every crappy NFL defensive tackle: "He's a space eater, not a disrupter."

You don't sign space eaters to five-year contracts. This is a bad signing.

Well then the Pats and Bill Belicheck didn't know what the hell he was doing with Vince Wilfork.  

They signed him to a 5 year deal and then a 3 year extension a few years later.  

Edited by Royale with Cheese

8 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Thats fine. His defensive coordinator in Carolina just appoved a 5 year deal. Says a lot about the player and person. He fills a hole. Sometimes these NTs that don't disrupt the backfield are hard to grade.  

I do agree with that. I hope it turns out to be a good deal. But Star was also working with incredible teammates every year and still failed to produce. Perhaps there's just comfort in knowing what you're getting with him.

7 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I like this a lot.  

I don't know NFL talent, and I'm unfamiliar with Star.  

So why do I like him?  McBeane like him.  They know him and like him. He played for McD and his play was excellent.  His stats dropped off last season, which was the one season he didn't play for McD.  

He must like McD to have decided to come to Buffalo.  

He's first round talent, and there's no substitute for talent. 

Linemen tend to last a long time, so he could be a fixture for five years or more.  

This may help bring Kyle back.  It means Kyle doesn't have to carry the inside.  Star seems to be more of a space eater, which frees up Kyle to do what he does best - slash. I think Kyle retires or returns to Buffalo, and this will help him decide to return.  

This also means Cousins is out.  Bills are spending the cap elsewhere. Looks like Bradford and a rookie.  

THIS means Cousins is out? Lol

The reports he's narrowed his suitors didn't do it for you?

That said, I'll agree if they dig him - they'd know and we needed the help so if this is their answer, ?

I c

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

6 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Ugh...

2018_03.03_Star_PFF.thumb.jpg.5e2bc97c118f86840b05667cf5b1204a.jpg

So according to PFF, Lotulelei had his best year as a rookie and has been on a steady decline since?  Something doesn't add up.  To me it looks like PFF has a whacked out metric.  Doesn't make much sense that Lotulelei had his best season as a rookie and was significantly worst the year they went to the Super Bowl.  I really don't understand why people still reference PFF after they told you Aaron Rodgers had a bad 5 TD game.

5 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Now we get to see whether Rob Quinn is right or not.

I don't feel you can look at stats to judge Lotulelei's play.    He's never been a stats guy.  He's about plugging the middle and protecting the LBs and safeties so they can run to ball.    Also, it appears Carolina changed the way they used him in year three.  He went from playing the penetrating RDT to the space eater LDT, which likely changed people's perceptions of his play...

Games Def Interceptions Fumbles Sacks & Tackles    
Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Int Yds TD Lng PD FF Fmb FR Yds TD Sk Tkl Ast Sfty AV
Career       76 75 0 0 0 0 5 2 0 2 0 0 11.5 88 62   34
2013 24 CAR RDT 98 16 16                     3.0 34 14   9
2014 25 CAR dt/rdt 98 14 13 0 0 0 0 1           2.0 21 8   6
2015 26 CAR LDT 98 14 14 0 0 0 0 2 1 0 1 0 0 1.0 13 9   6
2016 27 CAR LDT 98 16 16 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 4.0 14 12   7
2017 28 CAR DT 98 16 16 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 1 0 0 1.5 6 19   6
Edited by Lurker
  • Like (+1) 1

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
2 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Nearly every team in the NFL has hired them. 

Proof please, not saying you are lying but I haven't seen this and I would like to know the extent of work they are doing for teams. 

17 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Thanks. I'm watching highlight videos of him on YouTube, he seemed like a reaaaaaallly good prospect coming out of college, hopefully he returns to form. I'm going to dig around for more videos.

What is it you're looking for? DT's that fill the plugger role never make the message board HOF's but they're extremely important of course.

• Like (+1) 1

Not sure how I feel about this.  Need to see the money. To dump one big salary in Dareus and then then around and spend money on him seems a little counter productive. 

Especially if we are going to keep rotating out defensive lineman like last year.