DT Star Lotulelei to Bills!

Lots of people in this thread pouring over the interior d-line game film of the Carolina Panthers to provide their analysis.  Impressive!

I'd expect the market value of this deal to be ~55m over the 5 years, with about half of it guaranteed.  LOL at the "if its for 5-7 mil a year, I can swallow it" crowd.  Ya'll probably need to brush up a bit on free agent market values before running wild with the hot takes.

Just now, apuszczalowski said:

Many people complained about Dareus saying he didn't do anything and them complained about how bad they were after he left. Sometimes their importance isn't noticed through measurable personal stats like tackles and sacks

No question he was missed but his antics and his giant salary wasn't worth a space eater.  That money goes to a flashy DT that gets all the tackles and sacks and does it all.  

6 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Thanks. I'm watching highlight videos of him on YouTube, he seemed like a reaaaaaallly good prospect coming out of college, hopefully he returns to form. I'm going to dig around for more videos.

He was a beast his first and second year against the run. He has fallen off the past few years to a below avg DT. I hate to be negative because I love all the action and McDermott and Beane know this guy a lot better than I do but for what I think they paid him itll be a bust pick unless he plays at the level he did his rookie and 2nd year. Since we don't have the specifics of the contract yet im guessing 5 year 58 million with 25 guaranteed

8 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

The pessimistic take on this is that 11 players in Carolina's front 7 played enough to be ranked in PFF's system. Of those, 8 graded out as above average in terms of stopping the run. 1 was slightly below average. Star and Kyle Love ranked as 2 of the worst in the entire league.

Thats fine. His defensive coordinator in Carolina just appoved a 5 year deal. Says a lot about the player and person. He fills a hole. Sometimes these NTs that don't disrupt the backfield are hard to grade.  

Edited by TheTruthHurts

I like this a lot.  

I don't know NFL talent, and I'm unfamiliar with Star.  

So why do I like him?  McBeane like him.  They know him and like him. He played for McD and his play was excellent.  His stats dropped off last season, which was the one season he didn't play for McD.  

He must like McD to have decided to come to Buffalo.  

He's first round talent, and there's no substitute for talent. 

Linemen tend to last a long time, so he could be a fixture for five years or more.  

This may help bring Kyle back.  It means Kyle doesn't have to carry the inside.  Star seems to be more of a space eater, which frees up Kyle to do what he does best - slash. I think Kyle retires or returns to Buffalo, and this will help him decide to return.  

This also means Cousins is out.  Bills are spending the cap elsewhere. Looks like Bradford and a rookie.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, akm0404 said:

Lots of people in this thread pouring over the interior d-line game film of the Carolina Panthers to provide their analysis.  Impressive!

I'd expect the market value of this deal to be ~55m over the 5 years, with about half of it guaranteed.  LOL at the "if its for 5-7 mil a year, I can swallow it" crowd.  Ya'll probably need to brush up a bit on free agent market values before running wild with the hot takes.

or realize the cap went up again this year as well

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I really feel we are moving up and will have to package multiple picks to get to 2 or 3......which means a few less picks to fill needs.  This fills a major need.

I think the Bills actually like Adolphus Washington too.

So now we need a right tackle, MLB, speed WR and more depth on the oline.

Until that surprise deal yesterday to move up, I couldn't see them trading away their top 6 picks to move up (They would have needed all 6 to do it), now they only need to add a 2nd or a 3rd to both firsts to get up to 2 or 3, its definitely happening and they still have a few more 2nds and 3rds to work with in this draft which is good. 

And if Beane is able to convince the Bengals an injured Glen is worth reading down 9 spots, he might be able to convince the Giants or Colts GM to take less than expected to move down to 12....

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
4 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

Yeah I quoted the wrong post haha my bad. Still like the signing and he's not declining.  He just does a different job.  He frees up everyone else.  Gotta have that guy on the team.

I am very happy about this signing.  Go Bills.