DT Star Lotulelei to Bills!

As splashy as this and other moves may be, I still see this as a calculated move. It's not just a splashy, name type of move, which we have kinda gotten used to. Like, " ...aww man! They just signed Mario Williams" or "... LeSean McCoy!" and gave them a hundred million dollars. No. They are signing guys that they know, and that they trust and that is a big thing. Guys that have been productive in their system, on the field. And guys that have been LEADERS in the locker room. They are STILL signing the same type of guys, you don't see them getting outside their "box." I like the fact that Kyle is coming back for at least a year, I like the signing of Star. I think they will get value picks later back in the draft to bolster the d and o line, add depth. I have no idea what we will have to give up to get into the top five, however despite all that I feel like we will still snag a d tackle early for the eventual retirement of Kyle, and get a linebacker as well. 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/star-lotulelei/7795

2016 and 17 he was ranked dead last in run stop % for his position. 2013 rookie year 12.9%, 2014 7.8%, 2015 7.0%, 2016 1.7 % dead last out of 75 dts 

Notice a pattern? Out of 36 fa dts he was ranked 31st . 6 tackles in 16 games. How much are you willing to pay for that? He does have a cool name though, and he was a Panther.

1 hour ago, akm0404 said:

You've watched him closely?  Do you imagine that the Bills front office and personnel folks haven't gotten around yet to watching his film?  Or, is it possible that perhaps they do not share your evaluation?

The same guys who loved Tolbert?

Edited by Turk71

8 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/star-lotulelei/7795

2016 and 17 he was ranked dead last in run stop % for his position. 2013 rookie year 12.9%, 2014 7.8%, 2015 7.0%, 2016 1.7 % dead last out of 75 dts 

Notice a pattern? Out of 36 fa dts he was ranked 31st . 6 tackles in 16 games. How much are you willing to pay for that? He does have a cool name though, and he was a Panther.

The same guys who loved Tolbert?

The same guys that loved Poyer, Hyde and Gaines....but are we only going to focus on the negative?

Do you take PFF as gospel?  So you agree that Tyrod Taylor was one level below elite last year?

5 hours ago, TOboy said:

Not sure he needs to get back on track, just because he doesn't have great stats. 

Do we know he wasn't taking on doubles regularly with Carolina? I honestly haven't watched enough game film to assess, but everyone saying he's flopped, have you? 

DT is a position where you can make significant impact without significant numbers. Given McBeane's history with Star, and the fact they clearly targeted him early, I trust they know and like the player. 

But when people made these points with Dareus they were to be ignored.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

The same guys that loved Poyer, Hyde and Gaines....but are we only going to focus on the negative?

Do you take PFF as gospel?  So you agree that Tyrod Taylor was one level below elite last year?

I take pff with a grain of salt. Hard to argue with their list of fa dts though and their run stop % is not subjective. They are not the only source who have seen a major decline in his play, I read about it before I checked pff. Here is from sb nation Panthers page. https://www.catscratchreader.com/2018/3/5/17075718/is-nfl-carolina-panthers-defensive-tackle-star-lotulelei-worth-4-years-40-million

Edited by Turk71

Just now, Turk71 said:

I take pff with a grain of salt. Hard to argue with their list of fa dts though and their run stop % is not subjective. They are not the only source who have seen a major decline in his play, I read about it before I checked pff. Here is from sub nation Panthers page. https://www.catscratchreader.com/2018/3/5/17075718/is-nfl-carolina-panthers-defensive-tackle-star-lotulelei-worth-4-years-40-million

It is subjective.  

Do you trust PFF and Catscratchreader over McDermott?

Or how about this article?

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/2017/08/28/carolina-panthers-star-lotulelei/

1 hour ago, NewDayBills said:

You don't sign a 5 year deal for 30 million, I could be wrong, but you would think that he would sign a 1-2 prove it deal if there was no market for him. 5 years in my mind means that he is being compensated nicely. This is all speculation of course.

Who said there was no market for him.

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Catscratchreader/PFF/Rob Quinn know more about Star than McDermott.  I guess we're screwed.

I am not thrilled about the signing, I think he got signed because they know him like Tolbert. Better young players are on the rise for less money. I will leave it, whats done is done and time will prove me right or wrong. I sincerely hope I am wrong.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Catscratchreader/PFF/Rob Quinn know more about Star than McDermott.  I guess we're screwed.

Man, those kind of articles make me cringe.  Clearly, Carolina thought enough of him to exercise his 5th year option last year.  Further, McDermott coached him as recently as 2 years ago.  If Lotulelei’s performance had diminished that badly, McDermott would have surely known it.  

Id love to get an actual scout’s reaction to an article like that.

3 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

I am not thrilled about the signing, I think he got signed because they know him like Tolbert. Better young players are on the rise for less money. I will leave it, whats done is done and time will prove me right or wrong. I sincerely hope I am wrong.

Better young players on the rise are still on their rookie contracts and hence aren’t available in FA.