DT Star Lotulelei to Bills!

1 hour ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

Solid character signing. Father was a Mormon Missionary who brought his family here and got a doctorate from Brigham Young

Wow.....and he goes on to play for Utah?

That must have been fun for the family.

1 minute ago, H2o said:

I'm hoping 6-7 mill range

That would be, IMO, absolute highway robbery.  Justin Ellis, who is nowhere near the player that Star has been, just re-signed for $5M AAV with Oakland.  I'm thinking that getting Star--a highly-regarded player that was a top-15 pick and was on the open market--for less than 2x that amount would be a fair deal.

I don't think PFF grades are predictive of future performance.

A player's performance - as graded by PFF and other analytics sites - depends both on scheme and supporting cast.  A player miscast in the wrong scheme, surrounded by players who poorly execute their assignments, and coached by a guy who's comparatively weak at preparation (to use an extreme example) isn't likely to score high.  

Beane and McD know Lutulelei better than PFF.  If they  think he's a good fit for this scheme on this team, I can only believe them for now until we have on-the-field evidence.

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

That would be, IMO, absolute highway robbery.  Justin Ellis, who is nowhere near the player that Star has been, just re-signed for $5M AAV with Oakland.  I'm thinking that getting Star--a highly-regarded player that was a top-15 pick and was on the open market--for less than 2x that amount would be a fair deal.

One can only hope until the numbers are released :thumbsup:

A little more on Hughes. He ranked 13 out of 75 qualifying pass rushers this past season:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2751016-nfl1000-ranking-the-top-4-3-defensive-ends-from-2017-season

13. Jerry Hughes, Buffalo Bills

Pass Rush: 23/30
Run Defense: 15/20
Snap Quickness: 14/20
Tackling: 14/20
Position Value: 8/10
Overall Grade: 74/100

Jerry Hughes is one of the best speed/bend pass-rushers in the sport. After playing as a 3-4 outside linebacker for Rex Ryan, Hughes transitioned back to a full-time pass-rusher role as a 4-3 defensive end for Sean McDermott. With Lorenzo Alexander's move from 3-4 outside linebacker to 4-3 outside linebacker, Hughes had to be "the guy" for Buffalo this season. With little to no holes in his game, he should be considered an above-average starter for the position.

He's an average player that fills a need, hope they didn't overpay.

People like to complain about Whaley but he brought in talent (whether or not the coaching staff could utilize it was another story), but McBeane seems to be prioritizing their familiarity with former players (Tolbert/ Benjamin/ Star) over possibly more talented options out there (or even ones that were already on the roster when they took over in some cases).

Will be interesting to see how it turns out. What they do with the QB position (as with most regimes) will determine their fate.