DT Star Lotulelei to Bills!

10 hours ago, dgr81 said:

Bills should have looked at Dontari Poe.

Poe is younger, better, and Carolina got him at a better price.

Bills overpaid for one of Beane's former Panther crushes.

Agree that we paid a premium for a former Panther, but we don't know that they didn't look at Poe. He may have just wanted to play with Short and Kuechly instead.

for the people complaining about this contract vs keeping Dareus,  you forget the most important part,   Dareus wasnt reliable.  end of story.

mbe we overpayed a bit for Star,   but his career is about availability.   something Dareus couldnt accomplish.     Dareus was talented,   when he played....

On 3/15/2018 at 7:21 PM, 26CornerBlitz said:

I'm okay with it as structured.  He might not see the back end of the deal. 

What are his cap hits by year? (Already saw, disregard)

On 3/15/2018 at 7:32 PM, buffaloboyinATL said:

He WILL make this Defense better. Worth it.

Our DL could actually be dangerous. 

Hemakes those around him better...

Hughes and Murphy are both very talented and could become a nice little pass rushing duo. 

Also allows Kyle and Adolphus to penetrate the OL, something both are very good at. I'd grab a DT by Rd 3 as well .. 

He shores up a bad run D as well and is Always available! 

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Nope.

So PFF is legit when it comes to Star but not about Tyrod?  

12 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Yeah, it's not as if NFL teams use their service. Oh wait, they do.

LOL...it’s a $35.00 subscription.  If you this is the tool that use to evaluate LOL.

By the way, since you think it’s gospel, you must agree that Rodgers game here was worse than Taylor’s against Carolina.  

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/181760/pro-football-focus-misses-mark-on-aaron-rodgers-grade

12 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Yeah, it's not as if NFL teams use their service. Oh wait, they do.

This Is misleading. PFF does both objective and subjective evaluations. The grades are a small part of what they do and players/coaches mostly criticize that part of it. Teams subscribe for the objective side, the analytics. Here's an example:

https://www.si.com/mmqb/2017/06/27/nfl-analytics-what-nfl-teams-use-pff-stats-llc-tendencies-player-tracking-injuries-chip-kelly

On the personnel side, there are clear examples of where the numbers are leading to change. In 2009, Dolphins linebacker Joey Porter had nine sacks, but those sacks accounted for an unusually high percentage of his hurries. The Cardinals signed him, at 33, to a three-year, $24.5 million deal anyway. He regressed (6 sacks total over the next two seasons), as the numbers indicated he would, and Porter was out of football before the third year of the contract.

Teams aren't subscribing to PFF to find out what subjective number grade they have to Joey Porter in those games. They subscribe for data like this. Their grades are useless to NFL evaluators who have access to all-22 footage and actually know the assignments.

Another good article about it here:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2017/09/20/__trashed/

8 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

This Is misleading. PFF does both objective and subjective evaluations. The grades are a small part of what they do and players/coaches mostly criticize that part of it. Teams subscribe for the objective side, the analytics. Here's an example:

https://www.si.com/mmqb/2017/06/27/nfl-analytics-what-nfl-teams-use-pff-stats-llc-tendencies-player-tracking-injuries-chip-kelly

Teams aren't subscribing to PFF to find out what subjective number grade they have to Joey Porter in those games. They subscribe for data like this. Their grades are useless to NFL evaluators who have access to all-22 footage and actually know the assignments.

Another good article about it here:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2017/09/20/__trashed/

Right--it's mostly about their curation of data; teams apply their own analysis 

9 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

What are his cap hits by year? (Already saw, disregard)

Our DL could actually be dangerous. 

He makes those around him better...

Hughes and Murphy are both very talented and could become a nice little pass rushing duo. 

Also allows Kyle and Adolphus to penetrate the OL, something both are very good at. I'd grab a DT by Rd 3 as well .. 

He shores up a bad run D as well and is Always available! 

You know what makes players like Short, Davis and Kuechley better players? Superior talent to what we have in comparison. If you think Star is going to make what we have which is yet TBD Pro Bowl caliber then I have no words. 

Quoted from an article I agree with 100 percent : You'd think that teams would have learned from the Ndamukong Suh and Albert Haynesworth disasters by now, but apparently not. 

The thing is, Suh and Haynesworth were infinitely superior to Lotulelei. Both players, at the time they signed their deals, were seen as stellar defensive tackles who could both stuff the run and generate heavy interior heat on quarterbacks. Lotulelei, conversely, is just a one-dimensional defensive tackle. He's strong against the run, but doesn't produce much of a pass rush. 

I don't understand the money in this deal. Heading into free agency, I thought Lotulelei would get something like a 3-year deal worth $10 million. There's no way he's even worth half the sum Buffalo gave him. It's nice that he played under Sean McDermott in Carolina.

Is it me or did Star come off like he's lazy in his presser? He gave me the impression like he could careless and only came here so he wouldn't have to put in the work to learn a new defense. Somebody please tell me I'm overreacting. For some reason DTs don't have the best attitude and work ethic sooo... His presser worried me.

20 minutes ago, Starr Almighty said:

Is it me or did Star come off like he's lazy in his presser? He gave me the impression like he could careless and only came here so he wouldn't have to put in the work to learn a new defense. Somebody please tell me I'm overreacting. For some reason DTs don't have the best attitude and work ethic sooo... His presser worried me.

My Carolina friends said he played lazy too.  Very frustrating they said.

30 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

I don't understand the money in this deal. Heading into free agency, I thought Lotulelei would get something like a 3-year deal worth $10 million. There's no way he's even worth half the sum Buffalo gave him. It's nice that he played under Sean McDermott in Carolina.

We definitely all agree - it seems that there are  some gaps in your understanding if you thought he was going to get a 3-year deal worth $10 million total lololol.

Edited by akm0404

This thread is ridiculous - all sorts of “experts” who know that the Bills overpaid for Lotulelei.  Some PFF run stop% quoted -what exactly is that measuring?

The comparison to Albert Haynesworth is really off base - at least in my opinion.  Haynesworth was a talented problem child, Lotulelei, by most accounts, is a good teammate and worker whose role is to clog the middle in run defense and do a little pocket pushing on pass plays.

We are witnessing the making of the next TBD whipping boy and he hasn’t even played a down here. 

34 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

I don't understand the money in this deal. Heading into free agency, I thought Lotulelei would get something like a 3-year deal worth $10 million.

That's way way off, are you crazy? Spotrac had his market value at $8.4 million per year:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/star-lotulelei-12294/market-value/

So we overpaid by $1.6 million per year. For a DT in free agency that's not bad at all.

12 minutes ago, akm0404 said:

We definitely all agree - it seems that there are  some gaps in your understanding if you thought he was going to get a 3-year deal worth $10 million total lololol.

3 for 10 is ridiculous. I don't want it to seem I don't like the pick up because I do and let's face it, everybody expected it. I saw him as a max 3 for 20 type. Team has soooooo many holes to spend that much on him.

8 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

That's way way off, are you crazy? Spotrac had his market value at $8.4 million per year:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/star-lotulelei-12294/market-value/

So we overpaid by $1.6 million per year. For a DT in free agency that's not bad at all.

That figure was quoted in the article and not my opinion. I feel he's a 3 for 20 type player.

10 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

3 for 10 is ridiculous. I don't want it to seem I don't like the pick up because I do and let's face it, everybody expected it. I saw him as a max 3 for 20 type. Team has soooooo many holes to spend that much on him.

That figure was quoted in the article and not my opinion. I feel he's a 3 for 20 type player.

I was expecting (I was hoping for) 5 years 40 million total, so about 8 million AAV. We over paid slightly but he fits the scheme to a tee and he knows McDermott's system very well, but that's a little high for a run clogger and I worry if he sees year 3 or 4 of his contract, 10 million a year is a lot of pressure to live up to.

I'm hoping that we pay him the 20 million over the first 2 years and then ideally he restructures down the line as he gets older and loses a step. Star may find himself at 30 years old making 10 million a year and Beane asks him to take a 2 million pay cut in the future and he may have to take it because he knows he won't get a better deal on the market, but that big ass 50 million dollar contract at least gets him in Buffalo.

Then there is a chance he actually lives up to it.

On 3/16/2018 at 6:32 PM, ColoradoBills said:

Both you guys defined the reason he was brought in to a tee!

If he succeeds doing this on most plays he is worth the money.

If he doesn't he will be overpaid.

We will know in camp.

well I know this much: if Kelly and I agree on something, then that something has high chance of being true. Why? Because normally we see the world very differently.

• Haha (+1) 1