DT Star Lotulelei to Bills!

13 hours ago, TOboy said:

Not sure he needs to get back on track, just because he doesn't have great stats. 

Do we know he wasn't taking on doubles regularly with Carolina? I honestly haven't watched enough game film to assess, but everyone saying he's flopped, have you? 

DT is a position where you can make significant impact without significant numbers. Given McBeane's history with Star, and the fact they clearly targeted him early, I trust they know and like the player. 

Panthers fans are glad to see him go. Dareus had made both a significant impact and significant numbers, and we were glad to see him go.

I don't think I could be more "meh" about this signing. I mean, it's a needed position being filled, but by a guy who ranked dead last in some metrics last year. Depends on the contract, I guess. Weird we haven't heard anything about that.

Edited by Domdab99

1 hour ago, Domdab99 said:

I don't think I could be more "meh" about this signing. I mean, it's a needed position being filled, but by a guy who ranked dead last in some metrics last year. Depends on the contract, I guess. Weird we haven't anything about that.

McD and Beane know him better than anyone, so I will trust their opinion of him being a quality enough player to commit to a 5 year deal.  So I like it because our DT situation was bleak before FA. 

7 hours ago, Domdab99 said:

I don't think I could be more "meh" about this signing. I mean, it's a needed position being filled, but by a guy who ranked dead last in some metrics last year. Depends on the contract, I guess. Weird we haven't heard anything about that.

Which metrics? Truly curious, I have no opinion on the signing until I see the numbers

5 hours ago, Turk71 said:

They had this guy playing next to him. https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/kawann-short/7825 extended him last year 5yr 80 million. Dominant player.

My understanding is that Star/Short had pretty defined roles. Even from the 4-3 base we know McDermott runs, Star's role was essentially playing as a nose tackle, shaded to the interior OL. If he did his job, he was clogging up lanes and/or occupying multiple blockers. If he did that, Short was getting a 1-on-1 with another lineman and should have been able to be much more disruptive. And of course, if your "nose" is occupying blockers that keeps your LBs clean to make plays. 

Without doing any film study on the Bills DL from last year, I would make the assumption that Dareus was playing the Lotulelei role while he was here and that was one reason why he wasn't popping in the stat sheet for the limited snaps he did play. 

With that being said, I'm not sure that this is a role that you break the bank for. I was livid with this team when they gave Dareus $100 million and then said "alright big man go eat up space" in the Rex defense. Very interested to see what type of contract he gets.

1 hour ago, JM57 said:

Which metrics? Truly curious, I have no opinion on the signing until I see the numbers

My understanding is that Star/Short had pretty defined roles. Even from the 4-3 base we know McDermott runs, Star's role was essentially playing as a nose tackle, shaded to the interior OL. If he did his job, he was clogging up lanes and/or occupying multiple blockers. If he did that, Short was getting a 1-on-1 with another lineman and should have been able to be much more disruptive. And of course, if your "nose" is occupying blockers that keeps your LBs clean to make plays. 

Without doing any film study on the Bills DL from last year, I would make the assumption that Dareus was playing the Lotulelei role while he was here and that was one reason why he wasn't popping in the stat sheet for the limited snaps he did play. 

With that being said, I'm not sure that this is a role that you break the bank for. I was livid with this team when they gave Dareus $100 million and then said "alright big man go eat up space" in the Rex defense. Very interested to see what type of contract he gets.

Ask, and ye shall receive: Star Lutululei

aovsl2.png

Kyle's for comparison:

r8dl3k.png

• Like (+1) 1

The thing which impresses me a lot about Star is that for a number of seasons in a row he has escaped injury. and been a consistent stater.  I think its a pretty reasonable guess that McD, Beane, and Fisher have a role and D scheme in mind that this 28 year old

My guess is that he should be a very solid player for years in one of the primary things a D must do which is stop the run. 

I really like the fact we have brought KW back because  he really demanded two players to stop him and his unrelenting motor.  With Star seeming to also command a double team the center becomes a difficult place for opponents to run. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Nanker said:

Ask, and ye shall receive: Star Lutululei

aovsl2.png

Kyle's for comparison:

r8dl3k.png

Looks like the profile of a true space eater to me

23 hours ago, No Place To Hyde said:

I think we all kinda knew it was coming. Good signing if McD can get him back to where he was early in his career. 

I am bothered by Beane and McD acquiring all those former Panthers.....where have I seen that before......oh yeh...Wrex collected washed up Jets.......and that came to no good.   Why do  hese guys continuely bring it guys they know from their former team?   Not clear to me that their vision and judgement are clear on these matters.  Maybe they are to lazy to look around a little.  I don't what the Bills becoming Carolina north........anyhow, this deal smells/feels wrong to me.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

I am bothered by Beane and McD acquiring all those former Panthers.....where have I seen that before......oh yeh...Wrex collected washed up Jets.......and that came to no good.   Why do  hese guys continuely bring it guys they know from their former team?   Not clear to me that their vision and judgement are clear on these matters.  Maybe they are to lazy to look around a little.  I don't what the Bills becoming Carolina north........anyhow, this deal smells/feels wrong to me.

Ok

24 minutes ago, JM57 said:

Looks like the profile of a true space eater to me

right. which I'm totally fine with as long as he's good at it. I live in "stiller" country and they still talking about missing cacey Hampton and his whopping 25 tackles a year becuz he was an elite space eater and made the defense tick.

23 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

There is a potential super-beast 3T available in David Irving who is a RFA with Dallas that they reportedly may be willing to let go for a second round tender.   7 sacks in half a season last year.   6'7' and 280#.

Perfect fit to keep a QB from stepping up in the pocket because of both pass rush and the height/length to force QB's to throw from further back.

*Could* trade pick #65 for him in the next couple days and then slap a second round designation on him for less than $3M.   Perhaps not a process guy, I don't know......but the physical perfect fit for a team trying to stop Tom Brady....... and Dallas won't be able to afford two $16M+ DL next year........the Bills have no such issue.

Well, here you go BADOL:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/14/cowboys-give-david-irving-the-second-round-tender/

Offer them 96.  He'd have to sign his tender, but you get him for less than $3M this year and the chance to extend him in short order if his other-worldly production level continues.

• Like (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

Why haven't the numbers leaked?

Our suspicion  has been that it is less than his agent wanted. Agents like to advertise their successes. If Star took less money to go to a coach who got the most out of him in the past (a bridge contract) it might not be something that his agent wants to brag about.