DT Star Lotulelei to Bills!

25 minutes ago, Crayola64 said:

What’s the over/under on the number of people who have actually watched him enough to even give a basic fan-level opinion?  Two?

I’m a Panthers fan also and have enjoyed watching the Panthers D.

Stars job was simply to take on blockers so Kueckly and Davis could go hunting( in a nutshell) . He’s no Ted Washington but he’s decent. He doesn’t really push the pocket or tackle or that matter.

The Panthers press line has been the old “ stats don’t show how important he is in our scheme.” I think there is some truth to this but we are going to have to upgrade our LBs dramatically if we intend to use him the same way.

I didn't really like the Chris Ivory signing.  Better than Tolbert, but why aren't we bringing in younger, cheaper rbs?  This signing, as well, seems to be a fella whose numbers have declined.  However, I think you have to give McDermott the benefit of the doubt on this one.  He knows the player and scheme fit.  Player effectiveness doesn't always translate into flashy numbers.  For certain, we needed to bring in DT help.  The front seven in general needs an infusion of talent.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Commonsense said:

If you can't see that hat the new coach and GM are light years ahead of BOTH the old coach and GM then I can't help you.

forward thinking

team building

culture

cap implications

Hope like heck these guys pick the right QB because they can function as a pair.

McDermott is 10X the coach Rex was, not debating that.

Whaley assembled some very talented teams on both sides of the ball during his tenure here though. Top 5 defense, top rushing offenses (obviously not during the same year or else the drought would have been over sooner lol) and those players that he brought in and left to other teams have been key guys on winning teams and getting paid (Bradham/Darby/Gilmore/Watkins/Woods/Hogan/ Robey/ can even toss in Goodwin if you like). 

This regime clearly has a plan, if they can execute it and find their franchise QB then they'll be successful. 

I would just rather they not make the same mistakes as Rex with regards to bringing in their former guys just because they're "their guys". No more Kaelin Clays or Mike Tolberts of the world. Benjamin could be decent piece longterm, but his health and weight issues could make him a risky investment. Star remains to be seen, depends on the money and if he can make an impact or just another guy. We'll see.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
20 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

Yes they give you an idea of what you're getting in a player. Again you have provided no new information so I'm going to suggest you havent found any new info to add?

No, I am just going off trusting Beane & McDermotte, plus what taking heads like Sal Cappachio say about his ability.  To me that is more credible than PFF which gave Aaron Rodgers a negative grade when he threw for 333 yards, 5 TD's and 0 ints.  Then they doubled down and tried to defend their grade in this article https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/why-aaron-rodgers-earned-a-slightly-negative-grade.  PFF has some good stuff but there is definitely metrics they are using that are out of whack.  

In Lotulelei case, I noticed that PFF has his grade on a steady from his rookie year, with his rookie year being his best.  It is my thought that maybe as the defense got better from say Lotulelei's rookie year to the year they went to the Super Bowl his numbers and PFF score went down because Carloina starting adding better players and Lotulelei had less opportunities to make plays because other players were making them too.  I just think PFF is not taking everything into account and some of their grades are deeply flawed. 

Edited by K-GunJimKelly12

2 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I didn't really like the Chris Ivory signing.  Better than Tolbert, but why aren't we bringing in younger, cheaper rbs?  This signing, as well, seems to be a fella whose numbers have declined.  However, I think you have to give McDermott the benefit of the doubt on this one.  He knows the player and scheme fit.  Player effectiveness doesn't always translate into flashy numbers.  For certain, we needed to bring in DT help.  The front seven in general needs an infusion of talent.

He had a really good rookie year and his stats have been about level in the years since.  I think that may suggest that offenses figured out after his first year that he needed some extra attention, but I don't see declining stats from 2014 to present.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

No I am just going of trusting Beane & McDermotte, plus what taking head like Sal Cappachio say about his ability.  To me that is more credible than PFF which gave Aaron Rodgers a negative grade when he threw for 333 yards, 5 TD's and 0 ints.  Then they doubled down and tried to defend their grade in this article https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/why-aaron-rodgers-earned-a-slightly-negative-grade.  PFF has some good stuff but there is definitely metrics they are using that are out of whack.  

In Lotulelei case, I noticed that PFF has his grade on a steady from his rookie year, with his rookie year being his best.  It is my thought that maybe as the defense got better from say Lotulelei's rookie year to the year they went to the Super Bowl his numbers and PFF score went down because Carloina starting adding better players and Lotulelei had less opportunities to make plays because other players were making them too.  I just think PFF is not taking everything into account and some of their grades are deeply flawed. 

He's a Bill, I'll support it but I don't have to like every move being made. I was just pointing out the facts I had in front of me.

2 hours ago, Wsam4031 said:

yea not a fan of this at all. Think hes a below average player now. I hope crow is on the menu for dinner but at this point I don't see it

Disagree. He is a very good DT that will gobble up double teams, and  now with KW signing and not retiring this is great for the defensive line. Still expect them to draft a DT though for depth and from what I understand the draft is deep at the DT position. This is great move by the Bills IMO.

12 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Love the signing maybe a bit to long. We should get 3 good years out of him. Now let's draft a quality DT.

Have to see the gtd money.  Years mean nothing without it

1 minute ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Disagree. He is a very good DT that will gobble up double teams, and  now with KW signing and not retiring this is great for the defensive line. Still expect them to draft a DT though for depth and from what I understand the draft is deep at the DT position. This is great move by the Bills IMO.

I really hope your right but doesn't make me all warm and fuzzy after watching him the past few years

20 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

That's not his game.  He's still rated as one of the better run stopping DT's in the league.

Sarcasm?

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Wsam4031 said:

yea not a fan of this at all. Think hes a below average player now. I hope crow is on the menu for dinner but at this point I don't see it

Is he better than what we currently have? The answer is yes n that's all we need to care about...

It all depends on cost and guarantee (Although terms not being released is generally a good sign.) At 5-6 million per with a guarantee around 12 million I love this deal as it is exactly what this team needed at that position and at a good cost. At 7 million around 15-16 guaranteed (which I suspect it is around) I think it is an OK deal, a bit of an overpay but a respected veteran player that fills a massive need. Much more than 7 million and close to 20 million guaranteed then I don't like this deal as it is too big of an overpay. 

• Like (+1) 1