DT Star Lotulelei to Bills!

1 minute ago, Wayne Arnold said:

No, I said you don't give guys who are named "space eater" because they can't make plays five-year contracts. Star has been bad against the run the last two seasons.

Maybe McDermott can revitalize his career.

So Carolina has been bad against the run the last two years, then?

1 minute ago, Wayne Arnold said:

No, I said you don't give guys who are named "space eater" because they can't make plays five-year contracts. Star has been bad against the run the last two seasons.

This guy sounds like he knows a lot about football.  Where can we sign up for more high-quality analysis?

9 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

This is not true. A guy who can tie up interior blockers and push the pocket even without getting sacks is very valuable. Carolina has typically gotten excellent DE sack numbers, and if you look at Hughes' pressure numbers last year, something was wrong. Too many times QBs escaped from him by simply stepping up in the pocket.

It's a dumb conclusion to highlight.............it's like 4th or 5th down on the list of points............it's like saying the great thing about Shaq is that he's so slow off the ball that he never runs himself out of the play!

Bottom line..........the Bills second best DT last year (Adolphus) played like a #4 DT that you'd hope to only give 10-12 snaps per game.........and the other guys played like camp fodder............Lotulelei is a starting quality DT at 1T that should hopefully occupy blockers.

But he's not going to be collapsing pockets the way Dareus did when double teamed in 2013-2014.    That's an entirely different style than you see from Lotulelei.........he will spend most of his time within 1 yard of the LOS.    

But if the 3T isn't getting into the backfield to hit that QB when he steps up then Star will have no impact on the passing game.  

The far more direct conclusion would be that teams not being able to run at will would then have to pass more.    Which plays into the Bills strength(secondary) and would naturally lead to more pass rush opps.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Okay Wayne.  PFF is gospel.

So you think it was a mistake to trade Taylor then?  PFF graded him last year as a "High Quality " which is one level below elite.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/tyrod-taylor/6332

So Vince Wilfork wasn't a "space eater"?  

Edited by Royale with Cheese

7 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Seems to me highly unlikely they are making these trades for a lb.  They are going after qb.  There is a rumor that Smith was medically red-flagged at the combine and could fall.  You might be able to get him at 22.

I agree.  So maybe the plan is to use next year's first to package with the 12th to move up for a qb, then get the MLB at 22.  Then get a guard center in the second round.  And maybe a tackle.  

Whatever.  It's amazing to see the team being reshaped like this.  

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

We don't have the LB's to take advantage of his skill set. I'm totally against signing interior DL to big contracts. Waiting to see the contract numbers.

FA hasn't even opened yet and we're still 6 weeks out from the draft. I should think we may find more athletic LBs at some point. 

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It's a dumb conclusion to highlight.............it's like 4th or 5th down on the list of points............it's like saying the great thing about Shaq is that he's so slow off the ball that he never runs himself out of the play!

Bottom line..........the Bills second best DT last year (Adolphus) played like a #4 DT that you'd hope to only give 10-12 snaps per game.........and the other guys played like camp fodder............Lotulelei is a starting quality DT at 1T that should hopefully occupy blockers.

But he's not going to be collapsing pockets the way Dareus did when double teamed in 2013-2014.    That's an entirely different style than you see from Lotulelei.........he will spend most of his time within 1 yard of the LOS.    

But if the 3T isn't getting into the backfield to hit that QB when he steps up then Star will have no impact on the passing game.  

The far more direct conclusion would be that teams not being able to run at will would then have to pass more.    Which plays into the Bills strength(secondary) and would naturally lead to more pass rush opps.

I suspect they draft a 3T they like. Those are the rarer more expensive talent that break the bank in free agency. 

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Okay Wayne.  PFF is gospel.

So you think it was a mistake to trade Taylor then?  PFF graded him last year as a "High Quality " which is one level below elite.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/tyrod-taylor/6332

So Vince Wilfork wasn't a "space eater"?  

That's what I find funny.  I agree with Wayne about Star, but it's amazing that PFFs love for Tyrod escaped Wayne when he would repeatedly dog the **** out of TT.

6 minutes ago, QuoteTheRaven83 said:

Kuechly is the smartest LB in the league right now and none of those measureables will measure a player's IQ.

Don't know much about Esch but what makes Kuechly amazing is his ability to play one step ahead of everyone. Comparing the measureables like that is useless IMO.

You need the measurables to even enter the conversation. 

This starts slow but give it a watch it's worth it. He is instinctive, fluid on his drops, what stands out most is how quick he gets up field. 

Sweet! This has been an obvious choice for a long time. I think McDermott will get the most out of him.

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

No contract details released yet. Which can sometimes mean it’s not a ton. Typically agents want the terms out there ASAP if it’s big money. But we will see.

It will be less than Dareus got which has been the plan all along

25 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

More on Hughes and pressure. He had *45* pressures yet only a small handful of sacks!  That's kind of unheard of. 

http://buffalonews.com/2018/01/02/advanced-stats-jerry-hughes-erupts-for-bills-against-backup-left-tackle-vs-dolphins/

Man, Hughes is an underrated player.

Hughes is a very good player, if we drafted Kalil Mack instead of Sammy like I wanted to Hughes would have 10 sacks a season easily. Last year Hughes had zero help on the D-Line and still got pressures. I want no part of trading a pass rusher like Hughes, he will be very good for 3 or 4 more seasons.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I suspect they draft a 3T they like. Those are the rarer more expensive talent that break the bank in free agency. 

There is a potential super-beast 3T available in David Irving who is a RFA with Dallas that they reportedly may be willing to let go for a second round tender.   7 sacks in half a season last year.   6'7' and 280#.

Perfect fit to keep a QB from stepping up in the pocket because of both pass rush and the height/length to force QB's to throw from further back.

*Could* trade pick #65 for him in the next couple days and then slap a second round designation on him for less than $3M.   Perhaps not a process guy, I don't know......but the physical perfect fit for a team trying to stop Tom Brady....... and Dallas won't be able to afford two $16M+ DL next year........the Bills have no such issue.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

There is a potential super-beast 3T available in David Irving who is a RFA with Dallas that they reportedly may be willing to let go for a second round tender.   7 sacks in half a season last year.   6'7' and 280#.

Perfect fit to keep a QB from stepping up in the pocket because of both pass rush and the height/length to force QB's to throw from further back.

*Could* trade pick #65 for him in the next couple days and then slap a second round designation on him for less than $3M.   Perhaps not a process guy, I don't know......but the physical perfect fit for a team trying to stop Tom Brady....... and Dallas won't be able to afford two $16M+ DL next year........the Bills have no such issue.

Sounds fine to me