Sammy Watwins to KC on a 3 Year Deal

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I trust Andy Reid’s ability to scout offensive talent more than any Bills’ coach since the SB years.  They have sent up their young qb up quite well.  

Think about what you just wrote. 

The Bills drafted Watkins and it's been a fight about trading up to get him for years so the Bills traded him to LA where he didn't do much and KC then signs him and Andy Reid is the genius? Seriously? He just over paid for a WR that's consistently hurt and disappears for games at a time, buy yea he can judge talent. SMH

Just now, plenzmd1 said:

Where did they send him ..scitts creek without a paddle with Sammy as their #1?

I kid, I kid,, I think Sammy is going to struggle to justify $16M per , but be a solid 80 catch, 1100 yd receiver.

Haha, stupid iPhone.  It is a lot of money but I think so many posters underestimate what haven’t a vertical threat does for an offense.  Our wrs were possibly the slowest group in the nfl.  No one respected them and throwing deep was Tyrod’s Best throw.  It opens up the running game and underneath throws.  Robert Woods thrived last year because he was running under routes with Sammy clearing out the number 1 corner.  For example, Julio didn’t have to put up monster numbers to have an impact on the game.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Yav said:

The Bills drafted Watkins and it's been a fight about trading up to get him for years so the Bills traded him to LA where he didn't do much and KC then signs him and Andy Reid is the genius? Seriously? He just over paid for a WR that's consistently hurt and disappears for games at a time, buy yea he can judge talent. SMH

The Rams traded a 2nd and played for him.  He had 8 tds, opening things up for Woods and Kupp, tried to sign Sammy back but KC offered him a ton of money before free agency started.  Then the Rams felt so worried about replacing Sammy, they traded a 1st for Cooks.

clearly, no one values Sammy. Why are Bills fans so bitter at ex players?  He will never live up to his draft status but he is very valued around the nfl. 

7 minutes ago, Yav said:

Yav....you are among the group of KC fans who do not like Ried. (that's fine, I'm not going to argue for or against your stance..he hasn't won in the playoffs..he is the coach..someone has to be accountable)  For whatever you think of Ried...he has a LONG history of finding talent on offense and having teams with offenses that score a lot.  Reid deserves all the ciritcism that comes his way for garbage clock managment and his failure thus far to do much with KC in the playoffs.  I'd still defer to Reid on matters of offense and offensive talent.

That said....I do think 16 million per year for Sammy Watkins is damn steep to add a piece to what was already going to be a high scoring good offense.  I think we (KC) would have been just fine with the group we had.  I do think that Watkins will be a good addition IF the Chiefs turn into the 99 Rams (wich is what they are trying to do)  ....If Watkins = 1999-2001 Isaac Bruce then the money will be worth it.  That's hoping for quite a bit.

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

The Rams traded a 2nd and played for him.  He had 8 tds, opening things up for Woods and Kupp, tried to sign Sammy back but KC offered him a ton of money before free agency started.  Then the Rams felt so worried about replacing Sammy, they traded a 1st for Cooks.

clearly, no one values Sammy. Why are Bills fans so bitter at ex players?  He will never live up to his draft status but he is very valued around the nfl. 

Right, he's so valued that he had every team beating down his door to sign him and he chose KC because he has a chance to play with a great QB and win a SB..

Yea, NOPE. If KC makes the playoffs they will be out in round one, as usual. You can spin this however you like. I personally could careless where he plays or how much he gets paid, I'm not going to act like he's been so productive or better than Woods. Its funny that some Bills fans never really appreciated the value of Woods. Woods was productive because he's a good WR. He runs fantastic routes and has great hands. 

They were the last team I would have expected to sign him. Hill already performs his role better than he does. They didn't need better receivers last year, they needed better defense but they just traded Peters and they don't have a 1st round pick. I think they'll regret this contract in the end but you never know. They're the third team in a row to overpay for Sammy Watkins in an attempt to bolster their young QB. History shows it doesn't usually work out that way.

1 minute ago, Doc said:

Reid signed Jeremy Maclin to what amounted to a 2-year $25M deal back in 2015.  Maclin barely eclipsed 1,000 yards his first season there and was released after the next season. 

Alex Smith is a WR killer.  If you don't run Jarvis Landy 5 yard slants...he isn't getting that ball to you deep unless you A) are wide open and B) He stayed in a pocket long enough to actually notice you are wide open.  

Maclin wasn't a bad WR...he just wasn't going put up numbers with Smith.  Watch the WR with the Redskins this year...you will see what I am talking about.  Jordan Reed and Chris Thompson should both move up a couple rounds in your fantasy drafts because that is where Smith is going with the ball.

16 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

They were the last team I would have expected to sign him. Hill already performs his role better than he does. They didn't need better receivers last year, they needed better defense but they just traded Peters and they don't have a 1st round pick. I think they'll regret this contract in the end but you never know. They're the third team in a row to overpay for Sammy Watkins in an attempt to bolster their young QB. History shows it doesn't usually work out that way.

Yeah, their defense is going to be real bad this year.  I guess it's a "the best defense is a good offense" thing, but that assumes they'll even have a decent offense.

Edited by Doc

1 minute ago, Zerovotlz said:

Yav....you are among the group of KC fans who do not like Ried. (that's fine, I'm not going to argue for or against your stance..he hasn't won in the playoffs..he is the coach..someone has to be accountable)  For whatever you think of Ried...he has a LONG history of finding talent on offense and having teams with offenses that score a lot.  Reid deserves all the ciritcism that comes his way for garbage clock managment and his failure thus far to do much with KC in the playoffs.  I'd still defer to Reid on matters of offense and offensive talent.

That said....I do think 16 million per year for Sammy Watkins is damn steep to add a piece to what was already going to be a high scoring good offense.  I think we (KC) would have been just fine with the group we had.  I do think that Watkins will be a good addition IF the Chiefs turn into the 99 Rams (wich is what they are trying to do)  ....If Watkins = 1999-2001 Isaac Bruce then the money will be worth it.  That's hoping for quite a bit.

Zer, I'm not a KC fan. I'm just stuck living here until I sell my house and move back to Phoenix. 

I never had an issue with the Chefs until I moved here and then I had to suffer through Len Dawson on TV, most annoying broadcaster I've struggled to hear, on top of that I'm so sick hearing KC fans talk **** about the Bills for not making the playoffs because apparently making the playoffs only to loose in the first round and be in the same place as the Bills, watching from home. Now I just can't stomach the Chefs as much as I don't like NE.

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I agree with you on the overpay for Watkins, but him and Hill are very different WRs. Tyreek Hill is maybe the fastest guy in the NFL who isn't overly physical and doesn't run great routes, nor do they ask him to. A lot (I would say the majority) of his production last year was due to his speed on the go route or comeback, both of which Smith threw very well and DBs just couldn't defend. He's just too fast. He also IMO doesn't have the greatest hands and as good as he is just isn't the guy you want as your #1 run-the-whole-tree wideout. I imagine that's what they got Watkins for, who is probably going to disappoint at the price they paid.