Kinda fun to watch : Rugby player Jordan Mailata

sirebors

31 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

His circumstances remind me a little of Jason Peters. He came to the Bills as an undrafted tight end.

I would like to play him as safety some next time we play Gronkowski. I would tell everybody he is Tre White's big brother.

Anyway I am such and amateur but geeze I would get him. I think he has the look that some really few good players that I saw in person have had. He is normally proportioned, but big. Usually big guys are built a bit different but he is shaped like a regular guy, just half again as big. And he moves like a smaller man. That combo is a really good one. He would be on the practice squad for at least a year.

Anyway he might have flaws that would show up in a up close look. But gee isn't it worth a spot on the practice squad to take a chance on a guy like him?

I'll try him at LT, RT, OG, and TE... If he shines in camp, he earns a practice squad spot.

Edited by #34fan

9 hours ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

His circumstances remind me a little of Jason Peters. He came to the Bills as an undrafted tight end.

I would like to play him as safety some next time we play Gronkowski. I would tell everybody he is Tre White's big brother.

Anyway I am such and amateur but geeze I would get him. I think he has the look that some really few good players that I saw in person have had. He is normally proportioned, but big. Usually big guys are built a bit different but he is shaped like a regular guy, just half again as big. And he moves like a smaller man. That combo is a really good one. He would be on the practice squad for at least a year.

Anyway he might have flaws that would show up in a up close look. But gee isn't it worth a spot on the practice squad to take a chance on a guy like him?

I actually don't see a problem with trying with a guy like this. Putting him on the practice squad and seeing what he can do. He is definitely very athletic. How is it different than asking Jason Peters to learn a completely different position. Or JJ Watt for that matter switching from tight end to defensive end. Guys have switched sports or positions for years. Some positions are much easier to learn than others. I would rather try a guy that may have unlimited upside over one of a hundred other guys that all have ability within 1% of each other. My question is I don't even know if he's draftable or signable. He's only 20, and he has to be out of high school for 3 years so it would depend on when he graduated. How could it hurt to at least send a scout and try him out.  

On 3/12/2018 at 6:50 PM, sirebors said:

Watch video at top

Rugby player Jordan Mailata (6-8, 345 pounds) giving NFL a shot - NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000920719/article/rugby-player-jordan-mailata-68-345-pounds-giving-nfl-a-shot

I don't know if how well his skills translate over but it was fun to watch opposing rugby players try to tackle that giant.

He is big and athletic enough for the NFL.

• 2 weeks later...