Who do you want for a veteran qb?

Steptide

5 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

Sorry the team couldnt score enough points for you to feel good about them.  Jacksonville scored 10.  Against our scrubs.  They must suck too.  When you look at this team I doubt you see anything but negativity. 

I see Tre White as a cornerstone kind of player. I see two very good safeties on fantastic contracts. I see good coaching and a reason to be optimistic with the front office. Shady McCoy is an amazing win now asset and fun to watch. That's about it. Beyond that, there is very little talent or anything of trade value.

That Jacksonville team makes our team look like dog****. And that is with a mediocre at best quarterback. They likely have more talent on defense than we could compile from every roster in the last ten years.

Edited by Fetou

2 minutes ago, Fetou said:

I see Tre White as a cornerstone kind of player. I see two very good safeties on fantastic contracts. I see good coaching and a reason to be optimistic with the front office. 

That's about it. That Jacksonville team makes our team look like dog****. And that is with a mediocre at best quarterback. They likely have more talent on defense than we would have from every roster in the last ten years.

so you like 3 of our players.  thats a good start. 

14 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Too many unknowns with this years FA veteran QB class

Bridgewater presents the most potential.  But can he recover from that horrible knee injury?

Glennon is the safest choice for a season or two.  He doesn't have the upside that Bridgewater has.  Nor does he have the specter of a career ending knee injury.  He has a track record, nothing flashy but not terrible. 

Keenum has more upside than Glennon, but will also want alot more money.  I'm not sure the BIlls are willing to commit that much cash and in the process write off this years draft class in favor of a QB with a limited track record

McCown is the best bridge guy if the plan is to draft a QB.  The problem is if the BIlls don't land their guy, McCown is likely to be more than just a bridge

McCarron, when was the last time a career backup Free Agent became a franchise QB for another team?

Bradford is damaged goods.

None of the others are worth pursuing except as a backup or #3.  

Why is McCarron a career backup. He was a top QB coming out of college winning I think 2 Championships. If Buffalo had drafted him I think people would have been very happy. See no logic in your statement. Cincy did not want to lose him, court ruled against on free agency status. Until Dalton's huge throw, McCarron calls were very often called out in games.

47 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

I don't, really. Let Peterman and our rookie (whoever it is) battle it out in camp. Start fresh. If we have to have a vet, make it the cheapest one. 

I'm tired of journeymen. Lets give the young guys a shot. 

You are not a gambling man, why in Vegas!

There are two QB's I like for the reason that if you get talent around them they will win with it. 

Foles has already proven this, the Eagles are very talented and Foles was able to win the super with it.

McCarron is the same type of QB just has not proven that he can do it yet. He had the talent advantage in college and he won. McCarron has done ok as a starter, I think if you put him on a team like the Eagles with a talent advantage that he can do the same things as Foles.

I still think the best strategy for us to fix the QB issues that have plagued us for the past years is to sign AJ McCarron in FA and draft Baker Mayfield.

44 minutes ago, Fetou said:

We just had the joy of ending our playoff drought. Then we had our proud moment in the sun with a spectacular 3-point performance leading to an all-too-predictable first round exit. I would like to see them achieve something a little bit more fun than that, and prioritize all of their thinking around that goal. 

When I look at this team, I see very little talent. The effort is great, and the coaching appears to be a breath of fresh air, but we are not built to win now. We need to add talent to the team, and the best way we can do it is with draft capital 

We won 9 games, were in on 2-3 more and if we had a QB would have beat Jacksonville. That was without a passer and sack people. Just not seeing what you see. Oh by the way we have 6 picks in the Top 3 rounds with one of the 3rd's being the 1st pick. that is 4 picks in the top 60 picks.

1 minute ago, USABuffaloFan said:

Why is McCarron a career backup. He was a top QB coming out of college winning I think 2 Championships. If Buffalo had drafted him I think people would have been very happy. See no logic in your statement. Cincy did not want to lose him, court ruled against on free agency status. Until Dalton's huge throw, McCarron calls were very often called out in games.

In 3 NFL seasons AJM has only thrown a total of 133 passes and the only games he has started was because the Bengals starting QB was injured.  That is the definition of a career backup.

I think you misinterpreted my question "when was the last time a career backup Free Agent became a franchise QB for another team?"  AJM could possibly become somebody's franchise QB, but history is not on his side

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

Fitz isn’t available .  How about EJ?  He got his change of scenery already .  And lots of folks said that he never got a fair shot to be good.  Well, here is the chance.

I sure hope this is a joke!!!!

52 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

I don't, really. Let Peterman and our rookie (whoever it is) battle it out in camp. Start fresh. If we have to have a vet, make it the cheapest one. 

I'm tired of journeymen. Lets give the young guys a shot. 

It's really not about McCown starting, more of the mentor than anything and that is valuable to have imo.

If the Bills Trade up for Rosen or Mayfield I'm 100% on board with McCown as the bridge/mentor QB.

With 15 years exp across the league knowing his time as a player is a season or 2 away, I believe he would hands down be the best suited candidate for us to mold our shiny new toy at QB.

9 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

so you like 3 of our players.  thats a good start. 

Guys like that are hopeless and depressed. So he doesn't like our LT's, Incognito, Groy, Benjamin, Clay, Lawson, Holmes, Kyle Williams, etc.. I admit we need upgrades but this is a young team with 8 picks. One QB from 2-3 more wins. Maybe the guy should get more sun and vitamin D3 and move to Jacksonville.

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Steptide said:

I don't think Bridgewater wants to go somewhere where he'd be the backup qb. My guess is he'd sign with a team with the best potential to be starter. I think that probably would put the bills low on his list 

Bridgewater will only get one year deal.  He and the team won't want to be locked into anything.  You are correct he doesn't want to be a back-up but no team is going to put their QB future on his knee.  He will sign with one of the teams that is sure to draft a first round QB.  

Nick Foles.....up and down career with mostly the down part being under Jeff FIsher and that Rams team.....nuff said......if the price is right def target him

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Steptide said:

I don't think Bridgewater wants to go somewhere where he'd be the backup qb. My guess is he'd sign with a team with the best potential to be starter. I think that probably would put the bills low on his list 

And with that statement who will just hand out starting job to him. Tell me a team you know will give him starting status?

10 minutes ago, USABuffaloFan said:

Guys like that are hopeless and depressed. So he doesn't like our LT's, Incognito, Groy, Benjamin, Clay, Lawson, Holmes, Kyle Williams, etc.. I admit we need upgrades but this is a young team with 8 picks. One QB from 2-3 more wins. Maybe the guy should get more sun and vitamin D3 and move to Jacksonville.

Kyle Williams is very close to retirement. Incognito is 34 years old. Benjamin is a piece, but certainly not a top-end #1 WR. That you are reaching for Lawson and Holmes really says it all in terms of the talent level on this team.

Lets see: Malik Jackson, Telvin Smith, Jalen Ramsey, AJ Bouye, Myles Jack, Yannick Ngakoue, Calais Campbell.

Edited by Fetou

I think it depends on who you are drafting. If you aren't going to trade up or need a guy for 1-2 years I would probably go Bradford or Keenum. 

If if you are signing a guy to be the guy I guess you go after Bridgewater or McCar on, who are both still young. The other option would be a trade for Foles. 

If you trade up for Josh Rosen you sign a guy to basically start 4-8 games this year while Rosen gets ready. That could be a much older guy who isn't all that impressive. That could be McCown, Matt Moore, Chad Henne..something along those lines.

Any way you slice it you absolutely must have a veteran in the quarterback room. It can't be like Peterman and a rookie. What the Bills do this week is going to give us a good idea of what their draft plans are imo. 

Just now, MrEpsYtown said:

I think it depends on who you are drafting. If you aren't going to trade up or need a guy for 1-2 years I would probably go Bradford or Keenum. 

If if you are signing a guy to be the guy I guess you go after Bridgewater or McCar on, who are both still young. The other option would be a trade for Foles. 

If you trade up for Josh Rosen you sign a guy to basically start 4-8 games this year while Rosen gets ready. That could be a much older guy who isn't all that impressive. That could be McCown, Matt Moore, Chad Henne..something along those lines.

Any way you slice it you absolutely must have a veteran in the quarterback room. It can't be like Peterman and a rookie. What the Bills do this week is going to give us a good idea of what their draft plans are imo. 

I agree with this

If its Josh Rosen....then you should not spend a ton for the vet...because chances are that guy will not finish the season as the starter.

If you stand fast and draft at say....21 and Lamar Jackson....then you need to invest a little more money in the vet because Lamar needs a year of holding a clipboard

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

In 3 NFL seasons AJM has only thrown a total of 133 passes and the only games he has started was because the Bengals starting QB was injured.  That is the definition of a career backup.

I think you misinterpreted my question "when was the last time a career backup Free Agent became a franchise QB for another team?"  AJM could possibly become somebody's franchise QB, but history is not on his side

Aaron Rodgers was a career backup, so was Steve Young to your definition. SF is making Garoppolo that man. Alex Smith has become that man. Cousins has become that man. Your wrong. McCarron was drafted by Cincy as insurance and future. Maybe trade collateral.