Who do you want for a veteran qb?

Steptide

I think this is pivotal that we sign a veteran qb for the sake of whoever we draft. I think a guy like McCown would be a great fit at the right cost. McCown also over achieved for the jets this year and showed some promise. I was listening to Sal on wgr the other day and he was talking about how manziel(of all people) said in an interview recently how if it wasnt for McCown he would litterally know nothing about nfl football. Obviously he didn't get the part about partying and being late to meetings, but I do think McCown would be a great mentor 

• Like (+1) 1

I don't, really. Let Peterman and our rookie (whoever it is) battle it out in camp. Start fresh. If we have to have a vet, make it the cheapest one. 

I'm tired of journeymen. Lets give the young guys a shot. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, nedboy7 said:

yes!!  we do not want to win too many games!!!

We just had the joy of ending our playoff drought. Then we had our proud moment in the sun with a spectacular 3-point performance leading to an all-too-predictable first round exit. I would like to see them achieve something a little bit more fun than that, and prioritize all of their thinking around that goal. 

When I look at this team, I see very little talent. The effort is great, and the coaching appears to be a breath of fresh air, but we are not built to win now. We need to add talent to the team, and the best way we can do it is with draft capital 

McCown - A guy who gets it, I remember seeing somewhere that he's going to be a highly sought after assistant coaching prospect when he hangs it up.

Bridgewater - A gamble, but if he pans out he could be a valuable asset we can flip if/when the rookie is ready, however I worry about drama in the QB room.

McCarron - A similar guy to Bridgewater, could be a very valuable asset to flip but again, I don't know he'll be fine handing the job over.

Bradford - if he can be on the field is an interesting option, but I just don't see him being available all that much and I worry about putting the rookie in before he's ready.  That being said, if we draft the right rookie, he'll be ready.

Matt Moore & Derek Anderson - I'd be similarly meh about either, but I wouldn't outright hate it.

Wildcard - Blaine Gabbert - He was not awful when he played for Arizona last year

Keenum- will want a clear starting job / Cutler - easy pass / Geno - EJ - Henne - Mallet, just no

42 minutes ago, Steptide said:

I think this is pivotal that we sign a veteran qb for the sake of whoever we draft. I think a guy like McCown would be a great fit at the right cost. McCown also over achieved for the jets this year and showed some promise. I was listening to Sal on wgr the other day and he was talking about how manziel(of all people) said in an interview recently how if it wasnt for McCown he would litterally know nothing about nfl football. Obviously he didn't get the part about partying and being late to meetings, but I do think McCown would be a great mentor 

Buffalo is really the only team that can go for Cousins and not jeopardize their team this year. They have crazy money to fit all this in next year and are loaded with 6 top picks to draft all needs. Buffalo has enough cap space this year to sign Cousins and only Cousins if wanted. Do a 6 year 180 million contract with 40 million signing bonus and a roster bonus of 30 million next year. First year of salaries is low with 10$ this year, signing bonus goes over the 6 years. Next years cap space takes the largest hit with Roster bonus of $30mil, $20 mil salary and $7 mil in signing bonus. We have a project cap available at $80 mil so $57 mil can go hit that. The last 4 years of the contract are $20mil each. with $7 mil signing bonus attached. $27 mill average is cheap by then, cap will be well over $200 mil. Averages $30mil with 1st year getting $17 mil but paying Cousins $50 mil, 2nd year counts $57 mil but pays $50mil, that is the guarantee portion of $100mil. Last 4 years all even with cap hits of $27 mil but $20 mil paid out meaning more cash to sign our free agents. Buffalo keeps all picks so in 4 years we can pay our guys. We still have $10-15 mil to fill holes with cuts after draft and camp. Cousins isn't worth $30/mil a year but Taylor isn't worth $18 mil either. Fitz wasn't worth the $15mil. Cousins can throw, we have McCoy for 2-3 more years, probably next year will be his peak with a good line. Go for it!!!! Why not we have 8 picks NOT TO WASTE!

42 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Moore would be better if mentoring is the objective. We need someone who can play possibly the first year. I am of a different thought. With 8 picks we can draft starters and backups with 6 being in 1st three rounds, 3-4 of them will be starters. Play this smart and we can win now, compete for division and Super Bowls. Go for broke sign Cousins and Watkins. Play it a bit smarter. Sign McCown and Bridgewater and have it all out in camp with loser being backup. Draft every pick, don't move. Get a QB in 2nd or 3rd round for project. Let Peterman go.

Edited by USABuffaloFan

Too many unknowns with this years FA veteran QB class

Bridgewater presents the most potential.  But can he recover from that horrible knee injury?

Glennon is the safest choice for a season or two.  He doesn't have the upside that Bridgewater has.  Nor does he have the specter of a career ending knee injury.  He has a track record, nothing flashy but not terrible. 

Keenum has more upside than Glennon, but will also want alot more money.  I'm not sure the BIlls are willing to commit that much cash and in the process write off this years draft class in favor of a QB with a limited track record

McCown is the best bridge guy if the plan is to draft a QB.  The problem is if the BIlls don't land their guy, McCown is likely to be more than just a bridge

McCarron, when was the last time a career backup Free Agent became a franchise QB for another team?

Bradford is damaged goods.

None of the others are worth pursuing except as a backup or #3.  

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, /dev/null said:

Too many unknowns with this years FA veteran QB class

Bridgewater presents the most potential.  But can he recover from that horrible knee injury?

Glennon is the safest choice for a season or two.  He doesn't have the upside that Bridgewater has.  Nor does he have the specter of a career ending knee injury.  He has a track record, nothing flashy but not terrible

Keenum has more upside than Glennon, but will also want alot more money.  I'm not sure the BIlls are willing to commit that much cash and in the process write off this years draft class in favor of a QB with a limited track record

McCown is the best bridge guy if the plan is to draft a QB.  The problem is if the BIlls don't land their guy, McCown is likely to be more than just a bridge

McCarron, when was the last time a career backup Free Agent became a franchise QB for another team?

Bradford is damaged goods.

None of the others are worth pursuing except as a backup or #3.  

He also doesn't have talent, skill or the ability to run an offense. You are right, he isn't terrible. He's so bad there isn't even a word for it in the known English language. 

42 minutes ago, Logic said:

Teddy Bridgewater.

A big risk, to be sure, but he is still young and has flashed "Franchise QB" potential.

Can't be just him and rookie QB. Need a stable veteran. Moore and him or have it out with McCown and him competing.

33 minutes ago, Fetou said:

We just had the joy of ending our playoff drought. Then we had our proud moment in the sun with a spectacular 3-point performance leading to an all-too-predictable first round exit. I would like to see them achieve something a little bit more fun than that, and prioritize all of their thinking around that goal. 

When I look at this team, I see very little talent. The effort is great, and the coaching appears to be a breath of fresh air, but we are not built to win now. We need to add talent to the team, and the best way we can do it is with draft capital 

Sorry the team couldnt score enough points for you to feel good about them.  Jacksonville scored 10.  Against our scrubs.  They must suck too.  When you look at this team I doubt you see anything but negativity.