[A Look Back] Philadelphia Fans In Shambles: Eagles mortgage future by trading up to #2 pick

Fetou

Just now, JinxedBill1 said:

Here come the "no weintz in this draft" crowd.  

To to which I say who was weintz before weintz?  

You will see the words "project", "average", "not Mariota" etc. etc. 

You see they should have waited for a TRUE QB prospect to come sometime in the indeterminate future. That prospect would have  had no question marks. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Worked out pretty damn good for the Eagles. The Browns passing on Wentz before hindsight was dumb.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2017/04/the_carson_wentz_trade_tracker.html

Posted April 29, 2017 at 11:23 AM | Updated May 01, 2017 at 03:54 PM

223shares
Carson Wentz,  Roger Goodell 
Carson Wentz photo by The Associated Press
Following the 2016 Browns-Eagles trade

BEREA, Ohio – When the Browns drafted Notre Dame quarterback DeShone Kizer in Friday’s second round of the 2017 NFL Draft, he became the ninth player tied to last year’s pre-draft trade with the Eagles.

The trade – which fans might always remember for the Browns passing on the chance to draft Carson Wentz - originally resulted in the Browns giving up two picks in exchange for five from the Eagles. The Browns have traded four of those five picks, with a 2018 second-round pick the only one left untouched (as of now).

Those five picks from the Eagles have turned into 10 additional picks via the four trades. The haul of picks the Browns have accumulated from the deal won’t end until the 2018 draft. So let's take a closer look at where the path from last year's trade has led.

- By Scott Patsko, cleveland.com

Cleveland Browns vs. Philadelphia Eagles, September 11, 2016 
Carson Wentz photo by Joshua Gunter, cleveland.com
Breaking down the 2016 deal

Here’s a look at what each team got in the trade:

Browns got

2016 first-round pick (No. 8)

2016 third-round pick (No. 77)

2016 fourth-round pick (No. 100)

2017 first-round pick (No. 12)

2018 second-round pick (TBD)

Eagles got

2016 first-round pick (No. 2, Carson Wentz, QB)

2017 fourth-round pick (No. 139, traded to Vikings for No. 132, Donnell Pumphrey, RB)

I did think the Eagles traded a lot, but I liked Went so I understood why. I remember thinking the Rams were dumb for not taking Wentz, but it seems to be working out for them too.

I'd like to see how things turn out for the Bears, who traded a lot to get Trubisky. I thought they were dumb to do it.

I see your point in this. But, also consider Washington trading up to get RG3. If they had not also grabbed Cousins the bust would have seemed even worse. 

Im not against moving up for a Qb and how do you really know which one? 

Its like calling plays. When they work your a genius. When they don,t you are a horrible coach. An example is Doug Pederson. Super bowl, 4th and goal and he goes for the td. Honestly I would have kicked the field goal and probably lost the game!

4 minutes ago, Bring it said:

I see your point in this. But, also consider Washington trading up to get RG3. If they had not also grabbed Cousins the bust would have seemed even worse. 

Its like calling plays. When they work your a genius. When they don,t you are a horrible coach. An example is Doug Pederson. Super bowl, 4th and goal and he goes for the td. Honestly I would have kicked the field goal and probably lost the game!

I almost posted this myself as a caveat. You could probably find threads of Redskins fans celebrating that trade up when it happened, and even more so a full year after. Perhaps without Shanahan's handling history would be different.

Ultimately, there is no sure thing when it comes to finding a QB. Your best chance is always going to be the best prospects, the ones that go at the top. Waiting around for Peyton Manning and hoping you have the worst record in the NFL the same year is not a realistic long term draft strategy.

If you hit on a franchise QB, there is almost no haul of assets that can pry him away from you. The Browns could offer their entire draft this year with two top 5 picks for Wentz and get rejected.

Edited by Fetou

It appears to have worked out for Philly, but note that they moved up fro pick 8, not 21.  Future draft picks in trades are typically “discounted” by a round per year in the future they are.  So look at what Philly gave up:

1, 3 and 4 plus future 1=2,(discount by 1 round)future 2=4(2 years out discounted by 2 rounds). - so equivalent to 1 First 1 second, 1 third and 2 fourths.

How do you think the Redskins fans feel about the trade up for Robert Griffin?  If they hadn’t also drafted Cousins in the 4th, think how bad they would still be.

(Sorry, I obviously didn’t see the post above that is very similar)

Edited by OldTimer1960

18 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

I wanted the Bills to trade 3 1st for Wentz.

Luck. Eli Manning. Cam Newton.

Disagree....IMO Luck, Eli and Newton had less question mark. Eli and Newton did have question marks though.  I just think Wentz had more question marks.

13 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

It appears to have worked out for Philly, but note that they moved up fro pick 8, not 21.  Future draft picks in trades are typically “discounted” by a round per year in the future they are.  So look at what Philly gave up:

1, 3 and 4 plus future 1=2,(discount by 1 round)future 2=4(2 years out discounted by 2 rounds). - so equivalent to 1 First 1 second, 1 third and 2 fourths.

How do you think the Redskins fans feel about the trade up for Robert Griffin?  If they hadn’t also drafted Cousins in the 4th, think how bad they would still be.

(Sorry, I obviously didn’t see the post above that is very similar)

Thanks for the breakdown!

26 minutes ago, Bring it said:

Which leads us back to the issue in that neither Rosen nor Darnold and down the line are guaranteed to be a sure fire success. Philly traded up from 8 so that just reinforces the notion to me that it will cost us three 1st's and three 2nd's and most likely more to go up to 2.  That's assuming that Cleveland does not feel that upsets their plans and they in turn take their QB at 1 and come up behind us to trade with Indy to get Barkley at 3.  At that point we may have egg on our face if Cleveland takes the guy we may rate substantially higher than the other QB prospects.  Giving away the top half of the draft two years running will cripple this franchise even if we hit on a few FA's.  Lastly, the guys saying that they will cut the Bills some slack for mortgaging the future will be nowhere to be found when this gamble fails.  They will be back under a new account brandishing torches and pitchforks at the gates of OBD and saying how they knew this whole thing was destined to fail.

Edited by RochesterRob

9 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

People who dont want a frencheyes qb this year are sooo dumb!! 

NOBODY doesn’t want a franchise QB.  

BUT, you have to realize that just because you trade a TON to move up to take one of these guys doesn’t mean that you just locked in someone like Brady, Rodgers or Brees who can just carry a weak supporting cast.  IF you are lucky, you get Phillip Rivers who has been very good, but has to have a good supporting cast.

Would it be prudent to trade 21, 22, 53 and next year’s 1st for a young Rivers?  And if the answer is yes, don’t forget you could also end up with RG3.

BTW, note that none of Brady, Rodgers and Brees were high first round picks.

Edited by OldTimer1960

13 minutes ago, Manther said:

Disagree....IMO Luck, Eli and Newton had less question mark. Eli and Newton did have question marks though.  I just think Wentz had more question marks.

Thanks for the breakdown!

I don't think so. I think the only mark on Wentz was level of competition. Same with Big Ben. But as a player he was the cleanest QB since Luck, Eli and Newton.

8 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

People who dont want a frencheyes qb this year are sooo dumb!! 

People who think picking a QB high makes him a franchise QB are dumber!!!

Edited by CuddyDark

8 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Would it be prudent to trade 21, 22, 53 and next year’s 1st for a young Rivers?  And if the answer is yes, don’t forget you could also end up with RG3.

If you subject your eyes to the torture of watching the Buffalo Bills on a yearly basis, how in the hell could it not be yes?

Edited by Fetou

Please note that the teams that succeed after a big trade up for a QB actually have good teams surrounding those QBs. Maybe that's why Philly didn't miss a beat when Wentz went down. So keep that in mind when your hands shake and sweat drops off your brow because you are ready to trade your entire draft for a QB. You still need 20-some other positions to be good too.

3 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Please note that the teams that succeed after a big trade up for a QB actually have good teams surrounding those QBs. Maybe that's why Philly didn't miss a beat when Wentz went down. So keep that in mind when your hands shake and sweat drops off your brow because you are ready to trade your entire draft for a QB. You still need 20-some other positions to be good too.

Maybe 2020 is our year then 

33 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Eagles were a franchise QB away, they were loaded at nearly every position besides QB.

And they were fortunate enough to unload Sam Bradford to Minnesota, thereby recouping much of what they paid to move up for Wentz.

• Like (+1) 1