Philly deadline to get under the cap: Nick Foles

11 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

They aren’t trading for Foles AND trading up. They aren’t using a 2nd for a 1 year bridge. It’s one or the other.

What if they get Foles for pick 65?  Then go after Allen at 4.  Might make a lot of sense... 

59 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

The issue isn't really if the fans want Foles, Rosen or whomever. It's the draft, FA and trades. All have a price to pay , opportunity cost possibilities etc. it really comes down to what does the Bills FO value most, who do they believe in or not, and what is the path they choose to get the franchise to the promised land? I think there are a few different ways they could go, but no idea what way they will ultimately decide is right. 

A lot of possibilities, I can't remember a time there were so many qbs on the move with a draft so deep with talent.

19 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Philly can huff and puff about wanting a first or more for Foles, but they're over a barrel.   They'll get nothing if he's on the roster at the end of 2018.   Now they could hold off and hope another team has an injury and gets desperate.   But IMO, they'll eventually jump on something like this year's #2 and a 2019 second round pick--which I'd be happy to oblige...

Thank you Lurker.  Your simple explanation is what some of us are trying to say, you did a good job of it.

We shed TT's contract and in essence got a 2-3 round pick.  Beane is a magician to do that.

To use a 2nd and "some other pick" to get Foles in the locker room for 2018 would be awesome.

He has roots with McCoy's greatest season.  He brings a history of playoffs wins and will keep the vets happy.

He will keep the fans happy and hopeful for a successful 2018 season.

If Beane can get Foles done for a 2nd and "some other pick" he should do it.

This move should have nothing to do with Beane trying to get a QB he wants in the coming draft.

What is so hard about this?  A 2nd round pick plus "something else" is not worth a WC run?

If we get to the playoffs, I'll take Foles as a QB!

• Like (+1) 2

I'm not convinced Philly will let Foles go for much under their asking price. Such is the amount of stupid QB money out there. I don't see our front office dealing picks away for the likes of him or Case Keenum either. I think we'll go cheap at vet QB a la Brian Hoyer or Trevor Siemian and package our picks to get into the top 5.  

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

Philly did the most "unlike the NFL-thing" they could possibly do when Wentz went down and they were forced to rely on Foles--they changed their offense to suit what he was most comfortable/able to do.    Virtually to a man, NFL coaches are about hammering round, square, triangular and oblong pegs into round holes.   They are infatuated by their own expertise and ability to play a system and get the roster to follow suit.

It took an iconclast like Pederson to shrug off that straitjacket.   Now I may be wrong and have not followed Foles career enough, but he seems like the classic square peg in round hole guy.  Played his best football under smart offensive-mined guys like Pederson and Reid and struggled under boneheads like Jeff Fisher.    He also seems like the proverbial plain-jane little sister that the guys all ignored until she put on some makeup and filled out her blouse.

I'd be fine with Foles as the bridge guy if none of the first round picks are involved in landing him   Daboll could steal from Pederson's RPO playbook and build an offense that would accentuate Foles' strengths and help a rookie draft pick learn the ropes.    Foles also has a cap-friendly contract that runs through 2021 [  http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/nick-foles-9898/ ] that wouldn't be that hard to carry if the heir apparent comes on faster than anticipated...

This is exactly my point though.  Most NFL coaches will not adapt their offense to a player's strengths. 

Maybe we get crazy lucky and Brian Daboll is the rare exception.  He manages to build an entire offense around the strengths of his quarterback, and has success doing it.  Then guess what?  There is a good chance he gets promoted somewhere else.  Then what are the chances we get another coordinator willing to do the same thing?

This is my primary reason against drafting Lamar Jackson as well.  He probably needs a creative coaching staff to make it work.  And too many coaches in this league are stuck on doing the same old thing.  Let's just draft the prototypical pocket passer that 95% of the coaches in the NFL are comfortable working with, and call it a day.

Edited by mjt328

5 hours ago, 707BillsFan said:

Saw this: "Foles is clearly a player the Eagles don’t want to give away for nothing, but keeping his $7.6 million cap hit doesn’t look like a realistic option either. The team probably has no option but to cash in its chips and trade Foles."

So yes, Eagles need to trade him.

:flirt: A fan contributor to "Superbowl Nation" named Adam Stites claims the Eagles "probably have  no option but to cash in its chips and trade Foles", so that's what they need to do?

17 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

:flirt: A fan contributor to "Superbowl Nation" named Adam Stites claims the Eagles "probably have  no option but to cash in its chips and trade Foles", so that's what they need to do?

That's it the price just went down. We got over a barrel. Give em a 4th and  a 7th

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

Philly can huff and puff about wanting a first or more for Foles, but they're over a barrel.   They'll get nothing if he's on the roster at the end of 2018.   Now they could hold off and hope another team has an injury and gets desperate.   But IMO, they'll eventually jump on something like this year's #2 and a 2019 second round pick--which I'd be happy to oblige...

That’s wayyyyyy too much.  He’ll be traded for a 2d, period.  If anyone had offered two 2s, the Eagles would have swooped down on it.

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t disagree but everything that they have done is based on not settling for acceptable QB play. It has been beaten to death in here. I don’t think that they turn around and go to Kennum, Bradford, Foles, etc... that potentially offers you average play. I (firmly) believe that they are trying to hit a home run with the QB. That’s why they have done the research that they have and loaded up with picks. 

Agree with all of that. I don’t want an expensive vet. I’d like it to be $7M or less.

Go Bills!

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Rosen and Baker are the only 2 guys that start day 1 IMO.  He is very advanced mentally. 

Agreed!

1 hour ago, wppete said:

Interesting take. I heard Indy is going to draft a QB at #3 and trade Luck and load up on picks. 

It may and probably is the best move for them?  Depends on Luck's shoulder.

1 minute ago, mannc said:

That’s wayyyyyy too much.  He’ll be traded for a 2d, period.  If anyone had offered two 2s, the Eagles would have swooped down on it.

How about #65 this year and next year's second?   That's like saying Foles for TT and next year's #2.   

That's a deal I do eight days a week.     And one very few teams could likely top...

1 minute ago, Lurker said:

How about #65 this year and next year's second?   That's like saying Foles for TT and next year's #2.   

That's a deal I do eight days a week.     And one very few teams could likely top...

If they would do that....and they might......awesome!

I am not a big Foles fan, I think that since Andy Reid the Eagles have made QB's look much better than what they are. Foles, Kolb, and even Mark Sanchez and other backups have looked way better in Philly than they have elsewhere. Even Vick looked to be a much better passer when he was in Philly those first few years. I find it hard to buy into a guy like Foles on the Bills. I think that this team with the Ammo that they have will likely need to make a big play for a QB in the draft. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think my response was in relation to the original question, can the Eagles knock off the $9 million needed w/o having to trade Foles. The quote seemed to make sense to me, as his cap mark is $7.6 million, so I copied. Nothing more, nothing less. I do see him as a viable QB option though at a rather inexpensive price. 

21 minutes ago, Lurker said:

No need to throw in next year’s 2.  Eagles will do the deal for Pick 56, no matter what they say now.

2 minutes ago, 707BillsFan said:

I think my response was in relation to the original question, can the Eagles knock off the $9 million needed w/o having to trade Foles. The quote seemed to make sense to me, as his cap mark is $7.6 million, so I copied. Nothing more, nothing less. I do see him as a viable QB option though at a rather inexpensive price. 

I did a couple posts about this.  I think they can.  Whether that'd be enough for them to sign their own FA and rookies can't tell.

But they won't necessarily be holding a "Nick Foles Fire Sale" March 14 unless they really love them some Sudfeld....

The Iggles save $5.2M on the cap by trading Foles.  $2.4M dead cap hit off that $7.6M

7 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I question how he'll be perceived in an NFL room with the cocky attitude and I do have some concerns on how consistent he can be as a pocket QB with his size and limited athleticism at the NFL level.  I'd give him a shot, but he's no 100% sure thing.

No quarterback in this draft and most drafts are a sure thing. Rosen my be the best pure passer in this class but there are legitimate concerns about his durability. Darnold isn't a perfect prospect for a number of reasons. But without question he is one of the top qb prospects. Mayfield has some issues as a player and some as a person but his liabilities are not so great that he shouldn't be rated in the top three group. I'll go so far as to say some organizations (not most) would consider him as the best qb prospect in this draft class. 

There is no doubt that Mayfield is cocky. But what is the problem with that attitude? One thing we know for sure is that his teammates love him and rally around him. The short Sooner qb participated in the all-star game in Birmingham and at the combine I didn't here any of his peers saying any critical of him. As far as how would a pro locker room take to him if he can complete passes like most people think he can they will embrace and  support him.