Philly deadline to get under the cap: Nick Foles

7 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

$5M for Cutty to smoke cigarettes and hangout behind Rosen for 16 weeks is perfect.

You're plan is to draft Rosen and play him right away? The guy is a 6'4" 213 lbs twig who suffered 2 concussions last year. He wouldn't last the season. People thinking any of these qbs are a guaranteed success are way off imo. I want a qb who can play now while the prospect learns. There is no reason the Bills can't compete immediately while grooming the future. This team made the playoffs with below avg qb play. No reason they can't go further with a better qb. I want them to keep winning, not just blindly hoping the guy they picked is gonna be the one.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Turk71 said:

You're plan is to draft Rosen and play him right away? The guy is a 6'4" 213 lbs twig who suffered 2 concussions last year. He wouldn't last the season. People thinking any of these qbs are a guaranteed success are way off imo. I want a qb who can play now while the prospect learns. There is no reason the Bills can't compete immediately while grooming the future. This team made the playoffs with below avg qb play. No reason they can't go further with a better qb. I want them to keep winning, not just blindly hoping the guy they picked is gonna be the one.

Who?

10 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

If the Bills are seriously considering trading a high draft pick for Nick Foles, I am hoping they are asking themselves a few simple questions:

1.  What happened to Foles and his play during the 2014-2016 seasons? 

2.  Why was nobody in our organization interested in Foles when he was available during Free Agency exactly one year ago?

3.  How much did their opinion of Foles change between January 20, 2018 and February 4, 2018? 

The cold hard facts.  Most of the media saw Foles as a backup-level QB, and felt the Eagles were going to get easily knocked out by the Vikings in the Divisional Playoffs.  Three weeks and two games later, he was suddenly a tremendous asset and best reserve in the league.

Philly did the most "unlike the NFL-thing" they could possibly do when Wentz went down and they were forced to rely on Foles--they changed their offense to suit what he was most comfortable/able to do.    Virtually to a man, NFL coaches are about hammering round, square, triangular and oblong pegs into round holes.   They are infatuated by their own expertise and ability to play a system and get the roster to follow suit.

It took an iconclast like Pederson to shrug off that straitjacket.   Now I may be wrong and have not followed Foles career enough, but he seems like the classic square peg in round hole guy.  Played his best football under smart offensive-mined guys like Pederson and Reid and struggled under boneheads like Jeff Fisher.    He also seems like the proverbial plain-jane little sister that the guys all ignored until she put on some makeup and filled out her blouse.

I'd be fine with Foles as the bridge guy if none of the first round picks are involved in landing him   Daboll could steal from Pederson's RPO playbook and build an offense that would accentuate Foles' strengths and help a rookie draft pick learn the ropes.    Foles also has a cap-friendly contract that runs through 2021 [  http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/nick-foles-9898/ ] that wouldn't be that hard to carry if the heir apparent comes on faster than anticipated...

3 minutes ago, #34fan said:

Replica... As in, -I'm pretty sure I can get a replica of the ring we'll win with Foles as our QB.

I know, I was just messing with you over your horrible grammar and punctuation. :D

3 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

I know, I was just messing with you over your horrible grammar and punctuation. :D

Pissed me off when you said I wasn't getting a ring... I was like "Why the F___ can I not have a F___ing ring.... I think I've earned it!"

Edited by #34fan
  • Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

15 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

Who?

Rosen and Baker are the only 2 guys that start day 1 IMO.  He is very advanced mentally. 

6 hours ago, Juice_32 said:

Super Bowl MVP = retread.

Tough crowd.

Indeed.

6 hours ago, Juice_32 said:

I'd be happy with Foles and don't think that getting him prevents us from moving up for a top rookie.

Walk through this with me.

To trade up for a top rookie we need draft picks.

To trade for Foles we need draft picks.

Either or, not both.

14 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

Who?

Foles is my first choice, his contract is ridiculously team friendly. If not I would look for the best value. There are a lot of qbs on the market that would still be upgrades imo.

6 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Philly has to knock off 9 mill from its cap before 4 pm ET March 14. Can they get there without trading Foles? After losing out in the Tyrod Taylor sweepstakes (felt good saying that), looks like it might come down to the Cardinals as the Bills, main competition.

Dark Horse is the Colts who might move down from no. 3 and use part of the returns to reunite Frank Reich with the SB MVP.

bottomline: I'd offer good odds on a trade for Foles happening the afternoon of March 14.

Interesting take. I heard Indy is going to draft a QB at #3 and trade Luck and load up on picks. 

49 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

The issue isn't really if the fans want Foles, Rosen or whomever. It's the draft, FA and trades. All have a price to pay , opportunity cost possibilities etc. it really comes down to what does the Bills FO value most, who do they believe in or not, and what is the path they choose to get the franchise to the promised land? I think there are a few different ways they could go, but no idea what way they will ultimately decide is right. 

1000000% agree. Hit the nail on it's proverbial head

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

They aren’t trading for Foles AND trading up. They aren’t using a 2nd for a 1 year bridge. It’s one or the other.

I'd be FINE with that... Under those circumstances, I might  support taking either Jackson or Rudolph at 22 if they fall... Payne is still my pick at 21, tho.

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Indeed.

Walk through this with me.

To trade up for a top rookie we need draft picks.

To trade for Foles we need draft picks.

Either or, not both.

Philly can huff and puff about wanting a first or more for Foles, but they're over a barrel.   They'll get nothing if he's on the roster at the end of 2018.   Now they could hold off and hope another team has an injury and gets desperate.   But IMO, they'll eventually jump on something like this year's #2 and a 2019 second round pick--which I'd be happy to oblige...

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Lurker said:

Philly can huff and puff about wanting a first or more for Foles, but they're over a barrel.   They'll get nothing if he's on the roster at the end of 2018.   Now they could hold off and hope another team has an injury and gets desperate.   But IMO, they'll eventually jump on something like this year's #2 and a 2019 second round pick--which I'd be happy to oblige...

It's a fair price...