Philly deadline to get under the cap: Nick Foles

2 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

The Bills got pick #65 for Tyrod, and you guys think a 2nd rounder will be enough for the Super Bowl MVP??

I don't think Philly has a choice, they have to trade him. They're up against the cap. I think 53 and 65 could get it done. I would part with 22 and 158 if I had to. Still much cheaper than trading up for Rosen or whoever else.

2 hours ago, Juice_32 said:

He had a great year with Chip K. and looked rough with with Rams. On their playoff run and in the Super Bowl he outplayed Tom* Brady*.

Id still get a rookie if we went after him, but the guy deserves some credit.

The curse of Jeff Fisher. If that guy ever gets another gig I would be amazed.

4 minutes ago, mannc said:

Larry Brown was also a super bowl MVP.

If you can't see the difference between Larry Brown and what Foles did then you didn't see the game. The MVP itself isn't what matters, it's what Foles did to earn it. 

How about Luck to the Bills for 21 OR 22, 56 and 96 plus we take on Lucks contract and still keep picks in each of the first 3 rounds,  which they just made space to do. Indy keeps #3 for Chubb plus gets additional picks, which they need bad  and sends #56 and a 5th for Foles. Philly gets under the cap and can select a backup QB in the 2nd(White or Falk) and everybody’s happy.

Just thinking out loud

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

If you can't see the difference between Larry Brown and what Foles did then you didn't see the game. The MVP itself isn't what matters, it's what Foles did to earn it. 

I know the difference. The point is what happens afterward as to whether excellent play can be sustained. 

2 minutes ago, flomoe said:

How about Luck to the Bills for 21 OR 22, 56 and 96 plus we take on Lucks contract and still keep picks in each of the first 3 rounds,  which they just made space to do. Indy keeps #3 for Chubb plus gets additional picks, which they need bad  and sends #56 and a 5th for Foles. Philly gets under the cap and can select a backup QB in the 2nd(White or Falk) and everybody’s happy.

Just thinking out loud

Sign me up

• Like (+1) 1

I fully expected the Bills to trade for Foles after trading Tyrod, since they obviously have a replacement plan, and I fully expected it within 24 hours of the Taylor trade.  It seems to me they would've had a deal in place, and executed it quickly.  Since it hasn't been done (though there's still a little time), I'm guessing they will go with a FA signing, and they already have that in place. 

2 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

I understand that.  Foles is not Larry Brown, but three very good playoff games does not erase five years of erratic NFL quarterbacking.  He’s not all of a sudden a franchise QB.

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

I don't think Philly has a choice, they have to trade him. They're up against the cap. I think 53 and 65 could get it done. I would part with 22 and 158 if I had to. Still much cheaper than trading up for Rosen or whoever else.

Trading Foles is neither necessary nor sufficient to cure Philly's cap problems.  They only save $5M by trading him, and they need $10.9

They have other options to find that $10M they need

Now whether they decide they benefit more by trading Foles, or by other actions....can't tell you...

Look for Philly to make further cap moves before March 14th to show they're serious that they won't move Foles unless someone backs up a truckload of picks for him.

Possibilities include

-cut or trade Brent Celek (savings: $4M)

-renegotiate contract with Brandon Graham or trade him, converting part of $7M salary to prorated bonus Possible savings $3-7M

-renegotiate contract with Michael Bennett, converting $5M roster bonus and part of next year's $6M salary to amortized signing bonus.  Possible savings $3-4M

9 minutes ago, flomoe said:

Just thinking out loud

How about we think this through?  If Luck is through in Indy it's for one reason: he's not healthy, and they don't see him getting there any time soon

Imo, the Eagles aren't trading their opening day starter. There's no guarantee Wentz will be ready and I think the alleged "confidence" in Sudfeld is fanboy rationalization in support of getting Foles.

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I know the difference. The point is what happens afterward as to whether excellent play can be sustained. 

I don't disagree. We know that Larry Brown had a mediocre QB throw a pass right to him. In an otherwise non descript SuperBowl by the victors, he was the only choice. We don't know if Foles can sustain the level of play he displayed in SB. If obtaining Foles is deemed the correct move by the FO while drafting a rookie at or near their original draft spot, I'll give it a chance to play out. The cost to move from 21 into the top two is going to be high . Very high. The risk is increased greatly with every high pick they give up in exchange. Careers are made and execs get fired over these type moves. I'm sure they've given all options a lot of thought. We will see what they decide . We do know this is an interesting and exciting time for the franchise. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, flomoe said:

Just thinking out loud

I am a little skeptical about Luck's recovery and a small part of me makes me think that was in part why McDaniels did a 180 back to NE.  Also, Luck gets to play 8 games in a dome along with a game in Houston (dome), Tennessee, and Jacksonville which are sites that usually do not have adverse weather.  I don't know if Luck can deliver his normal stats in the AFC East and inter-conferenece games with the NFCE and NFCN.

Edited by RochesterRob

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Wow.......they have some issues.  I'm glad they beat the Patriots, but they've gotta be working overtime right now.  

So Foles and Cousins are the two top free agent QB's.  I don't think Beane and McDermott would be willing to sacrifice the cap space for either one.  So as of now all signs point to the draft and maybe bringing in a vetran.

"Trading Foles is neither necessary nor sufficient to cure Philly's cap problems.  They only save $5M by trading him, and they need $10.9

They have other options to find that $10M they need

Now whether they decide they benefit more by trading Foles, or by other actions....can't tell you...

Look for Philly to make further cap moves before March 14th to show they're serious that they won't move Foles unless someone backs up a truckload of picks for him.

Possibilities include

-cut or trade Brent Celek (savings: $4M)

-renegotiate contract with Brandon Graham or trade him, converting part of $7M salary to prorated bonus Possible savings $3-7M

-renegotiate contract with Michael Bennett, converting $5M roster bonus and part of next year's $6M salary to amortized signing bonus.  Possible savings $3-4M"

Edited by gobillsinytown

2 hours ago, Lurker said:

Putting him in a RPO offense, rather than a standard pro set, seemed to do wonders for Foles.   I wonder how many guys are misused throughout their careers by trying to pound square pegs into round holes...

Tbat ogfense requires on-field dwcision making.  He's shown he can do it.  That thinking skill is very valuable. 

5 minutes ago, dpberr said:

Imo, the Eagles aren't trading their opening day starter. There's no guarantee Wentz will be ready and I think the alleged "confidence" in Sudfeld is fanboy rationalization in support of getting Foles.

Philly has got cap issues and might find the best way out is another backup with a smaller contract.  Even if the backup has to start the first quarter of the season.  Who knows but no fanboy logic with me.