Philly deadline to get under the cap: Nick Foles

20 minutes ago, Manther said:

That is a lot of success in two different offenses multiple years apart.  I am not saying we need Foles.  But, he is not just a journeyman QB to me.  He is still young and has upside too.  But, don't get me wrong, he is not my first pick.

The problem is outside of 1 year and 1 game stretch he’s been bad. The upside is there. We’ve seen Foles excel. We’ve also seen him fall on his face more often than he’s succeeded. That’s why I used “wildly inconsistent.” Foles is certainly capable of playing high end football. The question is “can he do it for a season?”

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

The problem is outside of 1 year and 1 game stretch he’s been bad. The upside is there. We’ve seen Foles excel. We’ve also seen him fall on his face more often than he’s succeeded. That’s why I used “wildly inconsistent.” Foles is certainly capable of playing high end football. The question is “can he do it for a season?”

That makes him unique compared to some of the other available QB's.

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Your logic in acquiring Foles is what?  He'll play consistently great despite a career that says otherwise. Laughable. 

The logic is that no rookie has even proven a thing in the NFL, much less win a SB.  And to top it off, the amount of draft capital it would take to get one of the top QB prospects would basically prevent them from improving the team in other areas.

10 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I would only give up a 4th rd pick for Foles. Whatever team trades for him will also be giving him a new contract in the 14 to 16 mil a year range. 

It will be more than a 4th and more than $14-$16m A year

11 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

The only way that trade works is if at least two of the Fab 4 appear to be sliding down below pick 6 and maybe down to 14 or 15.  In that case more teams will choose to conserve picks for a player who might be just slightly lesser in their minds than one who may go 2-4.  With some of the post senior season luster gone and a chance for teams to poke and prod at the combine it is looking like there is a better chance that the top QB's will not cluster at the top of the draft.  

I think that’s a lot of the games teams are playing this time of year. I think there will definitely be 3 QBs gone by pick number 6 and 4 by pick 10. The dominos will start to fall as soon as he 1st guy comes off the board.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Doc said:

The logic is that no rookie has even proven a thing in the NFL, much less win a SB.  And to top it off, the amount of draft capital it would take to get one of the top QB prospects would basically prevent them from improving the team in other areas.

This is the guy youy want to give up draft picks for.  His career as an up and down performer says he's not worth it. 

69gpkw.jpg

2 minutes ago, artmalibu said:

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

This is the guy youy want to give up draft picks for.  His career as an up and down performer says he's not worth it. 

69gpkw.jpg

Warner was benched with the NYG to take the Cards to the SB....

Edited by artmalibu

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Kirby, I don't think it's as definite as that.  The Bills likely have an idea what the price is, but at this point any draft trade-ups are highly dependent on what the trade partner 1) does in FA 2) concludes after further evaluation of the top prospects that interest them 3) gets offered by other teams - as well as what the Bills conclude after further evaluation of the top prospects they'd trade for, and the ones they could possibly get by staying put.  It's all conditional and speculative at this point for the teams - it has to be. 

I see Foles differently, but that's because 1) he interests me 2) I live in St Louis.  Foles played well in KC when he got the call. 

I wouldn't count his year with the Rams against him - or against Case Keenum.  You had to look at it "up close and personal" to see how bad it was.

The Rams "wonderful" OC the Foles/Keenum years is now our TE coach.  Since he's the dude who benched Foles, he possibly has an opinion and some influence?

The Foles conundrum is what changed for him between 2013 and 2014.  I have my ideas, but only from a 10,000 ft view.

These teams all have a sense for the price though. They use the same 2 charts to dictate value. It’s basically a script. You usually overpay some to go up (and it depends on demand) but these teams know. They are using the point values (mostly from the new chart) to guide the process. The Bills haven’t been shy about their intention to draft a QB. They aren’t trying to get “solid” QB play. They are swinging for the fences. Maybe I am in the minority on this but I will be SHOCKED if they don’t trade up and draft a top QB.

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

What's silly is arguing against a true statement.

Weak comeback which shows there aren’t any better options at least on paper with NFL resumes. It’s fun to throw darts at a board and hopefully hit the bullseye ? by using all of your draft picks for one dart. At best the odds are 25%. There are no Andrew Luck’s or even Eli Manning’s in this year’s draft. Beane knows how to develop a roster through the draft. Thank God ??They didn’t hire you as GM!!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Tell me what that has to do with Nick Foles.

Up and down worked out ok for KW why hot NF?   

QB play is also dependent on the team.  NF has shown more than once with the right surroundings he can get it done.  

5 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

That makes him unique compared to some of the other available QB's.

I think that is certainly fair when comparing him to the veteran options. The draft prospects have played high end football as well and have a chance to do that at the next level. 

Just to be clear I don’t think Foles is bad. In fact, he was incredible in the playoffs. I just don’t think that the Bills will (or should) part with draft assets for him. It makes more sense IMO to go get a guy with a higher ceiling. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think that’s a lot of the games teams are playing this time of year. I think there will definitely be 3 QBs gone by pick number 6 and 4 by pick 10. The dominos will start to fall as soon as he 1st guy comes off the board.

QB run is going to happen quick...

• Like (+1) 1

Sign Keenum or Bradford and keep all the picks needed to move up for a QB in the draft.  Trading for Foles would mean you are committing long term to him.  I dont see how you trade for Foles and trade for a rookie QB.  One of the top guys will not last til 21.  With the way Foles performed on the filed for much of his career he looks like a sytem QB to me.  I would not invest alot into him long term.  He is fools gold.  

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

These teams all have a sense for the price though. They use the same 2 charts to dictate value. It’s basically a script. You usually overpay some to go up (and it depends on demand) but these teams know. They are using the point values (mostly from the new chart) to guide the process. The Bills haven’t been shy about their intention to draft a QB. They aren’t trying to get “solid” QB play. They are swinging for the fences. Maybe I am in the minority on this but I will be SHOCKED if they don’t trade up and draft a top QB.

:beer:

Agreed. If they don't, after a year's buildup with savvy moves to gather capital, it will be seen (by me) as nothing short of an epic blunder. 

The Bills have a chance to set the franchise up for the next decade if they hit on their guy. Do what it takes, McBeane. 

• Like (+1) 2