Philly deadline to get under the cap: Nick Foles

58 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Philly has to knock off 9 mill from its cap before 4 pm ET March 14. Can they get there without trading Foles? After losing out in the Tyrod Taylor sweepstakes (felt good saying that), looks like it might come down to the Cardinals as the Bills, main competition.

Dark Horse is the Colts who might move down from no. 3 and use part of the returns to reunite Frank Reich with the SB MVP.

bottomline: I'd offer good odds on a trade for Foles happening the afternoon of March 14.

And that’s why the Eagles are dreaming if they think someone will give them a first for Foles.  They will unload him for a second, plus maybe a fifth or sixth.

Just now, mannc said:

And that’s why the Eagles are dreaming if they think someone will give them a first for Foles.  They will unload him for a second, plus maybe a fifth or sixth.

Did anyone think they'd get a 1st plus more for Bradford and nobody believed Beane would get anything for Tyrod.  Some team might pony up, but I hope it's not the Bills. 

20 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I don't think the Bills would have moved on from Taylor if they weren't nearly complete certain that they had a veteran replacement.  They weren't going into 2018 with Peterman and a rookie.  

This is correct.  If they want Foles, they can get him with one of their second round picks...just have to be patient.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Did anyone think they'd get a 1st plus more for Bradford and nobody believed Beane would get anything for Tyrod.  Some team might pony up, but I hope it's not the Bills. 

That was a unique situation.  Minn had lost their QB just before the season and felt they could contend.  No one is that desperate right now.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I'm looking toward the draft for Rosen, Darnold, or Mayfield.

Seriously, for me, it comes down to process of elimination on these 3.

1.  Mayfield - least amount of questions and who I like the best

2. Rosen - not sure he is the real deal.  Questions on his heart and two concussions.  The two concussions is a problem even if you like him.  And, I don't like him.

3.  Darnold - interceptions and a USC QB.  The picks is my main concern.

So, final answer,  Mayfield.  If you can trade up for Mayfield do it!  Otherwise sit tight.  IF something falls into the teens we can re evaluate.

I like Mayfield and Foles.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, mannc said:

That was a unique situation.  Minn had lost their QB just before the season and felt they could contend.  No one is that desperate right now.

They can afford to be patient and there's the matter of Wentz not being certain to be available when the season starts. 

8 minutes ago, mannc said:

That would be sweet.  Their cap is soo bad, I agree with you.

2 minutes ago, mannc said:

Agreed

1 minute ago, Manther said:

Seriously, for me, it comes down to process of elimination on these 3.

1.  Mayfield - least amount of questions and who I like the best

2. Rosen - not sure he is the real deal.  Questions on his heart and two concussions.  The two concussions is a problem even if you like him.  And, I don't like him.

3.  Darnold - interceptions and a USC QB.  The picks is my main concern.

So, final answer,  Mayfield.  If you can trade up for Mayfield do it!  Otherwise sit tight.  IF something falls into the teens we can re evaluate.

I like Mayfield and Foles.

Mayfield has questions both on field and off. Foles, isn't worth giving up capital that could be required in a move up.  Getting both Foles and a top rated QB for 2018 is highly unlikely.

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

They can afford to be patient and there's the matter of Wentz not being certain to be available when the season starts. 

But, as the OP suggests, the cap situation reduces Eagles’ ability to be patient.

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The thing in our favour is Wentz continues to get ahead of schedule.  At one point the Eagles were going to have to roll with their back up QB for 6-8 weeks.  Now it may be zero.

Just now, Manther said:

The thing in our favour is Wentz continues to get ahead of schedule.  At one point the Eagles were going to have to roll with their back up QB for 6-8 weeks.  Now it may be zero.

That doesn't mean much on March 10th. 

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

Mayfield has questions both on field and off. Foles, isn't worth giving up capital that could be required in a move up.  Getting both Foles and a top rated QB for 2018 is highly unlikely.

What are your questions on Mayfiel?.  I have some, but, think he is legit.  

Just now, Manther said:

On field

play from Center

ability to see both sides of field

Recognize the Blitz

still my Third Best QB though and would take him if my other two gone. 

Not sure I would move up into top 10 to take him though

Just now, MAJBobby said:

On field

play from Center

ability to see both sides of field

Recognize the Blitz

still my Third Best QB though and would take him if my other two gone. 

Not sure I would move up into top 10 to take him though

Who are your top two?

51 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Philly has to knock off 9 mill from its cap before 4 pm ET March 14. Can they get there without trading Foles? After losing out in the Tyrod Taylor sweepstakes (felt good saying that), looks like it might come down to the Cardinals as the Bills, main competition.

Dark Horse is the Colts who might move down from no. 3 and use part of the returns to reunite Frank Reich with the SB MVP.

bottomline: I'd offer good odds on a trade for Foles happening the afternoon of March 14.

NotSoFast.  Foles, I believe, carries a $7.6M cap hit, but has $2.4M prorated signing bonus on the Iggles books ($.6M/yr x 4 years).  So trading him only saves them $4.6M in cap.

The Iggles got to clear $10.8M in cap.  So Foles only gets them part of the way there.  Will they trade him?  Sure, if a team stacks up the draft picks high enough, but they need to do something else besides, and they do have options.

Bennett has a $6.5M cap hit because of a $5M roster bonus.    Look for Philly to renegotiate his contract and convert that plus some of next year's salary to signing bonus.

Bennett wins because he puts more in his pocket and maybe gets some salary guaranteed next year.  Eagles win because they clear up cap.  Say, they do $6M signing bonus, clear up $4M in cap.  Cap remaining to clear: $10.8 - $4M = $6.8M

Candidates to trade or restructure:

1) Brandon Graham, DE.  FA next year.  $8M cap hit this year, $7M salary.  Trade him and you're there.  Extend him, you can perhaps lower your cap hit this year to $4M

2) Brent Celek, TE.  FA next year.  $5M cap hit this year, $4M salary.  Trade or cut him, and you're there if you extend Graham.

Point is, Foles is neither necessary or sufficient to solve the Eagles cap problem.  Will they trade him for the right offer, Sure, but it will depend on the offer vs the value they place on Foles,  it's not something they have to do to clear cap, because they do have other paths to get there.

I'm missing the "Tyrod Taylor Sweepstakes" ref, are the Eagles supposed to have had interest?

Just now, Manther said:

I question how he'll be perceived in an NFL room with the cocky attitude and I do have some concerns on how consistent he can be as a pocket QB with his size and limited athleticism at the NFL level.  I'd give him a shot, but he's no 100% sure thing. 

44 minutes ago, Juice_32 said:

Maybe you failed to read where I said he'd not prevent us from getting a rookie and I'd still get one. 

I don't want to give up any draft capital for Foles. Save if for the big move to the top 5. Get the rook first, a veteran back up later. 

Just now, MAJBobby said:

Rosen No 1

Darnold No 2

and yes there are weaknesses with them too both I would move into the top 5 for 

Totally agree.  They all have questions.  The only one that totally scares me and I don't want is Darnold though.  He just scares me.