In your hindsight, 2017: go all out to win, or tank?

boater

When you see the countless posts looking to sell the estate to trade up and draft that magical "franchise" QB, -- it makes you wonder: maybe deliberate tanking would have been a wise approach to the 2017 season. (given the Watkins and Darby trades, one can argue the tank was on)

If the Bills tanked: we wouldn't be talking about trading multiple first rounders plus other picks/players for a shot at Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield et al. We'd be talking about which to choose with our naturally given draft choice.

What happened: the Bills played balls to the wall. I believe they exceeded their potential and got lucky. They made the playoffs and earned a less than mid-first round draft pick.

Would you have rather tanked (and pick a franchise QB without selling the farm), or made the playoffs?

Me? I'm glad the Bills went all-in and made the playoffs, that goes so far in building a winning culture for the future. Also I look at the Sabres suckitude and can't help but feel once you tank, it's hard to wash the stench of losing out of the locker room.

• Like (+1) 1

Shoulda tanked - a streak is just silly numbers in the end.  17, 18, 19 - is there really a difference at that point?  We would be having much brighter discussions about this draft (and less bickering) if 21 was instead 04.  

Looking at it another way, most all here agree that playing for .500 for 20 years is not a smart idea - it's why we had that streak BUT yet almost all here wanted and celebrated an essentially .500 year yet again just for reasons of internal stress or depression or voodoo. . .I don't get it.  I am a very analytical sort though and not much for emotions when the logic seems clear - I expect to get crap for this post and that's fine.  Ha

• Thank you (+1) 1

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again...I was pro tank for the simple fact that it was the perfect time for it...first year HC and FO with a great upcoming QB class, and an extra first round pick...there were no expectations for success...the first year was your “free pass” where no one would get upset for not having success because everyone understood you have to transition into a new system.

The playoffs was a nice feeling and great for the city but it was fleeting...in the end, it means nothing because we are right back to where we were before the season started.  However, a potential franchise QB can bring you to several playoffs over roughly 15 years and give you hope that you could win in any year.

I always said to myself I want to tank first...but if we don’t tank we better make the playoffs because nothing would have been worse than missing out on both opportunities imo.

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Like (+1) 1

YA PLAY TO WIN THE GAME !!!!!!

IMHO, there is no such thing as "tanking", the phrase was coined to disguise the fact that you are a dog s**t team.

"tanking" didn't help the Sabers ... "tanking" didn't help the Browns

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Image result for kyle williams

Wouldn't change a thing. 

Agree, to an extent.

I would go all out to win, but also right now I'd be trying to figure out which defensive player to get with our only first round pick, which is OK as I would just be planning on getting a receiver later on in this draft for Watson.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

3 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Image result for kyle williams

Wouldn't change a thing. 

Agreed. This was everything.

I grew up with a team of legends and was 18 years old the last time the Bills made the playoffs. Just as a fan removing that damn monkey was everything, I can only imagine being the organization and players. 

10 minutes ago, nucci said:

Losing is so much fun. I'm really enjoying the Sabres right now. Why do Buffalo fans prefer losing to winning?

When was a this winning?  I musta missed it along the way.

2001 2001 NFL AFC East 4th 3 13 0     Gregg Williams
2002 2002 NFL AFC East 4th 8 8 0    
2003 2003 NFL AFC East 3rd 6 10 0    
2004 2004 NFL AFC East 3rd 9 7 0     Mike Mularkey
2005 2005 NFL AFC East 3rd 5 11 0    
2006 2006 NFL AFC East 3rd 7 9 0     Dick Jauron
2007 2007 NFL AFC East 2nd 7 9 0    
2008 2008 NFL AFC East 4th 7 9 0    
2009 2009 NFL AFC East 4th 6 10 0     Dick Jauron (3–6)
Perry Fewell (3–4)
2010 2010 NFL AFC East 4th 4 12 0     Chan Gailey
2011 2011 NFL AFC East 4th 6 10 0    
2012 2012 NFL AFC East 4th 6 10 0    
2013 2013 NFL AFC East 4th 6 10 0   Kiko Alonso(PFWA DROY) Doug Marrone
2014 2014 NFL AFC East 2nd 9 7 0    
2015 2015 NFL AFC East 3rd 8 8 0     Rex Ryan
2016 2016 NFL AFC East 3rd 7 9 0     Rex Ryan (7–8)
Anthony Lynn (0–1)
2017 2017 NFL AFC East 2nd 9 7 0

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

What are football and sports all about?  Yes it is about winning it all, but for me it is also about those few moments where you can see something incredible happen and make you jump out of your seat.  I still watch Drury's goal in game 4 Vs. the Rangers from the playoffs 10 years ago.  The Pominville goal Vs. the Sens to clinch the series I still watch sometimes too.

Jumping up and down and celebrating with my brother after Tyler Boyd scored that TD is one of the happiest sports moments I have had in awhile.  I watched that play several times and videos of Bills fans celebrating even more.  For me, there is no way I would trade that moment for a high draft pick this year.  I could be dead tomorrow (I'm knocking on wood now) and what would that draft pick mean to me then?  I'll take the moment and the great feelings of the week that followed, thank you very much sir.

Also 17 years without the playoffs was an albatross hanging over this team and city.  That being gone is worth it alone.  It was an embarrassment to all Bills fans and I believe the way we came out of the drought and the entire country seeing how much the Bills fans care and how grateful we were to the team and Andy Dalton, make us more attractive than we would be otherwise to players who may be thinking about coming here in free agency.  

Edited by K-GunJimKelly12

33 minutes ago, sleeby said:

Shoulda tanked - a streak is just silly numbers in the end.  17, 18, 19 - is there really a difference at that point?  We would be having much brighter discussions about this draft (and less bickering) if 21 was instead 04.  

Looking at it another way, most all here agree that playing for .500 for 20 years is not a smart idea - it's why we had that streak BUT yet almost all here wanted and celebrated an essentially .500 year yet again just for reasons of internal stress or depression or voodoo. . .I don't get it.  I am a very analytical sort though and not much for emotions when the logic seems clear - I expect to get crap for this post and that's fine.  Ha

Someone hated seeing the drought end. You aren't alone. 

• Sad 1

Not even a question play to win the game! If we tank its another 5 years of garbage on the field and a locker room that promotes a losing culture. After watching the Sabres tank it blows my mind that anyone is for another tank

If the Bills would have flopped...

McD would be questioned. Kyle would retire, CB Davis and Ivory wouldn’t have signed. Pending FA would leave for sure...

What they did last year was build hope for the next couple seasons. Gotta get our QB though, this year is the year.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, sleeby said:

When was a this winning?  I musta missed it along the way.

2001 2001 NFL AFC East 4th 3 13 0     Gregg Williams
2002 2002 NFL AFC East 4th 8 8 0    
2003 2003 NFL AFC East 3rd 6 10 0    
2004 2004 NFL AFC East 3rd 9 7 0     Mike Mularkey
2005 2005 NFL AFC East 3rd 5 11 0    
2006 2006 NFL AFC East 3rd 7 9 0     Dick Jauron
2007 2007 NFL AFC East 2nd 7 9 0    
2008 2008 NFL AFC East 4th 7 9 0    
2009 2009 NFL AFC East 4th 6 10 0     Dick Jauron (3–6)
Perry Fewell (3–4)
2010 2010 NFL AFC East 4th 4 12 0     Chan Gailey
2011 2011 NFL AFC East 4th 6 10 0    
2012 2012 NFL AFC East 4th 6 10 0    
2013 2013 NFL AFC East 4th 6 10 0   Kiko Alonso(PFWA DROY) Doug Marrone
2014 2014 NFL AFC East 2nd 9 7 0    
2015 2015 NFL AFC East 3rd 8 8 0     Rex Ryan
2016 2016 NFL AFC East 3rd 7 9 0     Rex Ryan (7–8)
Anthony Lynn (0–1)
2017 2017 NFL AFC East 2nd 9 7 0

I never said the Bills were winners. I said I prefer winning over losing....

Not even a question play to win the game! If we tank its another 5 years of garbage on the field and a locker room that promotes a losing culture. After watching the Sabres tank it blows my mind that anyone is for another tank