Some team at the combine asked a player if he is gay

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Yea the Jameis accusation was about a potential criminal offense too.  Being gay is not a criminal offense.  

I am an atheist and don't really make any secret of the fact but if someone asked me in a job interview about my religious views I'd refuse to answer as well.  Religion, sexuality, politics, my parents sexual history.... none of it is relevant or appropriate in a job interview.  I wouldn't answer any of those questions.  

This is exactly what the player's response should contain.  Perhaps that's what the team is looking for.  Staying focused, staying on topic and staying cool.  He should have said something like, "I don't know what these questions, or their answers, have to do with how well I'll do in the NFL, sir."

• Like (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

These are the same lines of questions our own police force uses as a way to see how you react out in the field. The psychological exam for State Trooper would ask you far worse questions than these.

True. However, a trooper's psychological makeup and reaction in a crisis/ life or death situation might be just a tad more important than what takes place on a football field. Might be a bit of a double standard, but I understand it. 

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Why isn't it.  Nobody I work with knows anything about my sex life, my dating life or anything else that is frankly none of their business.  

Ask Michael Sam. Ask the media that overhyped that situation. I am saying this: What a person chooses to do in their free time is their own choice. But it's part of who they are. It's a part of the person that comes to work (whether or not it affects their job directly). If a team wants to get a whole picture of Darius Guice the person, that factors in. 

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Why isn't it.  Nobody I work with knows anything about my sex life, my dating life or anything else that is frankly none of their business.  

From the things you say in the Shoutbox, you seem like you'll !@#$ anything with a hole as long as you get a place to sleep.

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

These teams know the grades these guys got on a 7th grade spelling test. If they don’t know their sexual orientation by the combine the entire scouting department should be fired. They aren’t learning about guys at the combine. 

But with that logic, why ask any questions? 

53 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Remnants of the Neanderthal faction still in existence. If a person hasn't learned to adapt to the modern world and know what is appropriate or not at this point then they will never. 

I don't think that one should say anything to any other person without checking in with Hillary Clinton and the New World Order to make sure that its politically correct. And I don't care if the kid is going to receive 20 million dollars or so in a month or 2. What's right is right!

Edited by Bill from NYC

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

Ask Michael Sam. Ask the media that overhyped that situation. I am saying this: What a person chooses to do in their free time is their own choice. But it's part of who they are. It's a part of the person that comes to work (whether or not it affects their job directly). If a team wants to get a whole picture of Darius Guice the person, that factors in. 

It had zero to do with Michael Sam being on a team or not though did it?  A person's sex life is absolutely ZERO to do with their employer.  

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea the Jameis accusation was about a potential criminal offense too.  Being gay is not a criminal offense.  

I am an atheist and don't really make any secret of the fact but if someone asked me in a job interview about my religious views I'd refuse to answer as well.  Religion, sexuality, politics, my parents sexual history.... none of it is relevant or appropriate in a job interview.  I wouldn't answer any of those questions.  

And I didn't say it was. But it's something that was going to come up and the teams wanted to know about before paying the guy millions of dollars. 

I'm not sure (and I could be wrong) that you can even consider that a job interview.

Just now, TheTruthHurts said:

I love how people act shocked and offended over someone asking if they are gay. Read twitter. Read YouTube comments. Most people here couldn't last one day with the type of abuse fans give players on Twitter. Even reporters receive abuse. 

Maybe fans should stick to sports. 

If don't do social media in any sense and I certainly wouldn't if I was a prominent public figure. I don't see how that abuse which is totally and entirely unacceptable somehow justifies teams asking questions about a person's sex life, or their mother's sexual history?  

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

It had zero to do with Michael Sam being on a team or not though did it?  A person's sex life is absolutely ZERO to do with their employer.  

I mean, I think there's still cause to question whether or not Sam would have gotten drafted otherwise (though that's another question entirely). But it affected the whole team... He became the most hyped player in the draft and it carried over into training camp. I am not saying it should be treated negatively, but it does matter. 

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

These teams know the grades these guys got on a 7th grade spelling test. If they don’t know their sexual orientation by the combine the entire scouting department should be fired. They aren’t learning about guys at the combine. 

They aren't asking because they want to know, they are asking to see the response because teams know fans say the worst things to players. Even other players will try to get under their skin. 

And I didn't say it was. But it's something that was going to come up and the teams wanted to know about before paying the guy millions of dollars. 

I'm not sure (and I could be wrong) that you can even consider that a job interview.

You are right that I don't think legally it is a "job interview" that would need to be tested by the courts if someone genuinely felt that had been unlawfully discriminated against.  Teams might "want to know it" but they have no right to know it and frankly no right to ask it.  I would not be shy in letting them know that.  I refused to answer a question once in an interview about my relationship status.  It has nothing to do with the employer.  

Any time I feel the need to vomit a little in my mouth, all I need to do is fine a thread on here that involves any social issue. It really does feel like a time warp to the 50/60s when I read these threads, whether sexual orientation, race, protesting, religious freedoms, etc. I think what's the most shocking is how much of a stark contrast it is to any other online forums I read. High level meeting @ 12, take care.

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, TheTruthHurts said:

I think questions that are sensitive should be fair game. NFL players are public figures and will experience much worse as a player. How they respond should be important. 

Why does your sexual orientation or what your mother does for work matter to how well you play football?

I mean, I think there's still cause to question whether or not Sam would have gotten drafted otherwise (though that's another question entirely). But it affected the whole team... He became the most hyped player in the draft and it carried over into training camp. I am not saying it should be treated negatively, but it does matter. 

But it didn't affect the team. He played a few pre-season games, got more attention than your typical 7th round pick, and then got cut.  It doesn't matter. Not a jot.